PR2100 not automatically receiving IP address through DHCP

I have changed my ISP and therefore my router. When I boot my PR2100 it now does not automatically get assigned an IP address - I have to unplug the ethernet cable - re-plug it in and then the PR2100 will receive an IP address. I have no issues with any other devices plugged into the router - which is a Linksys MX5300.

I can reserve an IP address through DHCP reservations - in the router - and that seems to “fix” the issue. But ideally I’d like it to just work through plug and play. Is this potentially a timing issue - when booting the Pr2100 and when it requests an IP address? Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Hi,

You could refer to the following links:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16487

I am having the same problem with a PR4100 and a PR2100. Both started having this issue in July out of nowhere.

I have not changed my ISP nor my router. This problem also began before the most recent firmware upgrade (2.40.155).

I was using DHCP reservations for these servers before the issue arose.

I, too, can resolve the problem by unplugging and re-plugging the ethernet cable.

I do not have this problem with any other device on my network which includes WD My Cloud Home devices. The problem seems to be isolated to my WD My Cloud PR Series devices.

I ended up moving the two servers to static IP, which seems to have permanently resolved the problem. However, I would prefer to use DHCP if I can find a solution.

This kind of thing can happen if you get a race condition with another app on the device. The bonjour service used to do this on windows for example

scb99 - how can you stop this race condition?

rwbii - I’m now using DHCP reservations and it works - but when on fully automatic it still doesn’t work - which is rather peculiar. I just don’t get it - I may try another router to see if the problem persists.

So I thought the DHCP reservation solution had resolved my issue. But not entirely. If I subsequently reboot my router without shutting down the PR2100 first - it won’t automatically connect to it again… The only way to connect it to remove the ethernet cable… Why is my PR2100 not automatically requesting an IP address??? I have tried with a different router and I experience the same issue…

Me again - I tried to resolve this again today - through chat with WD - to no avail. I did suggest that maybe I should try upgrading to OS 5 - I had previously tried the 4 second and 40 second resets but they hadn’t worked either.

Anyway - upgraded to OS 5, removed the DHCP reservation and my PR2100 is being assigned an IP address every time and is working as expected :slight_smile: Not too sure why it had suddenly stopped working - but OS 5 seems to have resolved the issue :grinning:

rwbii - please see my comment at the bottom of this thread - OS 5 appears to have resolved the IP address issue for me. OS 5 does, so far at least, appear somewhat snappier than OS 3.

Yes. I upgraded both my PR2100 and PR4100 to OS5 and no longer experience this problem. Thanks.