PR2100: lights are flashing.. fan is going on and off, and I can't use the drive

Ok, so I am sure this has happened to many people… last night everything was going well with my PR2100… this morning I woke up to the PR2100 fan starting and stopping… power light slow flashing blue… drive bay 1 light off and drive bay 2 light being blue with a quick red flash then the light going off and then back to blue and another quick flash of red (repeats)… I notice that while the fan is on the bay 2 light is blue and then when the fan stops is when the flight flashes red quickly and then no light/fan and then back to blue again…

I called the WD help desk and was told that this is normal and that it could take up to 7DAYS of this cycle and not to worry… it was doing a self-diagnostic… is this true? The link the guy sent me just says when the light is flashing blue it could be doing a diagnostic it says nothing about the bay 2 light flashing red and blue and why the bay 1 light does not come on at all…

Also I tried to access my files but because the drive wont completely start it does not register as being connected… any help would be great… next time I’ll backup to another drive… I thought this would be a better option then a standard USB drive…

So what happened? Is it still doing diagnostics? How long did it take and how large disk space do you have?

Last night my office’s DL4100 updated firmware, and since this morning the power light has been flashing blue and all disk lights steady blue… it has 16 TB disk space, but only about 4 TB data. I’m worried it will take 7 days… one of my colleagues is desperate.

Yes it was still doing it… I gave up and ejecting the two
drives from the unit and put them into a dock… I then used Macrium to image
the entire drive, then I used the same program to copy the contents of the
image onto a new drive, after which I completely reformatted it. This was the
only way it worked for me… no one was able to give any advice so I had to
figure it out for myself… the fact that your bay lights are blue is a good
thing… mine were off and flashing blue and red still after a week.
it’s a 20TB with two 10tb drives… I had used about 70%of it.

had now the same issue blu just blue flashing with fans for 10 seconds, then shut down for less then 10 seconds. then again, in a loop…
the day before I finally installed My Cloud 5 on my PR2100 16gb after long time it was released, thinking it could be mature. it worked for a night, all configuration ok and also a bit difficult to find the exact Emby version for this WD5, but got it at the end here, the bigger one I though. wordpress had the option to set up the password host etc for the db and no way to go on but the rest was all ok, also over the local lan. the next morning iy did start looping the way told at first. even the tips for resetting do not work, at least the 4 sec one. nightmare…

still looping…

how did you use Macrium to recover the stuff in the two hd please?