PR 4100 - Can't update firmware or scan/format disks

Howdy,

I just bought and initially set up a PR4100 a couple hours ago, and it’s notifying me that a firmware update is available (2.21.126), however in the Firmware settings, the “Update now” button is grayed out. Additionally, the “Current Version” field is blank. Additionally, the “Update from file” button is also blank, which means that I can’t manually update the firmware via that method, either. Also, no firmware update occurs via the auto-update method.

When I click on another tab in the settings menu and then click back to “Firmware Update”, the “Update Now” button is momentarily clickable (for about 2 seconds), however when clicked it doesn’t attempt to download the latest update, and just sits at 0% indefinitely.

Aside from that, in the “Utilities” section of the settings, both the “Scan Disk” and “Format Disk” buttons are grayed out. I can run a Disk Test (quick test, haven’t tried full yet), and the system reports the drives as healthy.

Finally, and I’m not sure if this has any bearing on anything else, but the LEDs for each drive are solid red, despite the system reporting the drives as healthy.

I’d at least like to give this product the benefit of the doubt and try it out as a Plex server for two or three weeks, but at this rate I’ll just end up returning it in a couple days. These kinds of issues straight out of the box are pretty discouraging :\

If anyone has any ideas on what I can try to progress with ANYTHING, I’d appreciate it. Unfortunately I’m at a loss.

Hello,

Did you setup RAID on the unit, go to the storage section on the dashboard, perhaps this is why you are having this issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I believe this may be the reason I’m not having any luck with setting up my PR4100. Of course, if it IS the reason, then not including this very important step in the set up instructions is a huge mistake on the part of WD :\

Do you know if it’s safe to set up a JBOD array without fear of the disks being wiped, if no prior RAID array has been set up?

Thank you for your response, this was, indeed the solution. I imagine I’m not the only person that has encountered this problem, so I’ll restate the solution for anyone else searching for this topic, and then mark it as solved.

If you’ve just purchased a WD MyCloud device and have discovered that you can’t actually do anything with it (including updating firmware), even with your drives containing existing content installed in the thing, it’s because WD has left out a critical step in the instructions for this product:

Before anything can be done with the device, you must set up a RAID or JBOD file system on the installed disks. This process will WIPE ALL DATA from the drives, so unless you’re prepared to lose that data, you will need to buy new drives, install them in the MyCloud, set up the RAID/JBOD file system, map the drives to your computer/network, and then copy the data from your existing drives over to the drives on the MyCloud device.