Power outage destroys Twonky settings!

I’ve had several firmware updates since I got this device and one problem still stands out for me. How can a simple thing like a power cut which obviously causes my box to restart destroy all my Twonky settings ??

Please please get this sorted !! :rage:

I don’t think the changes you made to Twonky even survived MyCloud normal reboots? IIRC this is the design by default. You can modify but tedious steps needs to be accomplished also not forgetting warranty voids.

A power cut is nothing “simple”, it’s the worst possible event that can happen to any system. Normally Twonky settings survive any reboot and power cut because they are written into config files on the drives. Maybe this file was open during power cut and therefore was corrupted by the power cut.

Normally Twonky settings survive any reboot and power cut because they are written into config files

Well, some configuration survives, and some doesn’t…

Changes made to some aspects of the Twonky configuration via the Twonky UI are trashed when MyCloud:

i) reboots
ii) has media streaming turned off and on again
iii) setting a share to public access and then back to private

Most significant of these trashed settings are the locations for media, defined in the Twonky UI ‘Sharing’ page. It is possible to stop MyCloud breaking these at reboot/streaming cycle by setting them in the /etc/contentdir file.

The entire Twonky configuration is destroyed by a firmware upgrade.

All this discussed in the FAQ:

I’d edit the FAQ, as there are some corrections needed, but the new forum locks posts older than a month, it seems. This is somewhat unnecessary, IMHO. @Joerg_A any chance you could influence a change to this forum policy?

What I so is change set an admin user-name and password within Twonky which prevents the WD firmware from messing with Twonky’s settings and then I manually adjust Twonky’s settings.

MyCloud didn’t seem to like that; it seemed to make it keep banging at Twonky, asking for library stats, which Twonky said ‘yaboo’ to, but some users suspected it prevented the MyCloud from sleeping.

If I could edit the FAQ, I’d add your suggestion…

Surely any decent programmer would allow for such an eventuallity as a power cut. I mean it’s a device aimed at home usage (mines the 2TB variety) how many households do you know that have a UPS installed ?

Besides that the issue is that the firmware has zero respect for the Twonky settings !!

Surely any decent programmer would allow for such an eventuallity as a power cut.

It was that very issue that brought me to this ‘Hotel California’ forum… And why I spent so much effort trying to find out how to make Twonky work without getting broken. I’ve just about managed it, barring firmware upgrades. But at least if I do those manually, I know I will have to fix Twonky once I’ve done it.

I know. WD’;s hardware seems fine as well as their drives, but there seems to be a shortcoming when it comes to the other operating software It looks like the ethos is to get things just slightly above functional and stop at that point.

I’m not out to slate WD. I’m just writing it as I honestly see it.