Potential new user

mivecboy wrote:

Sorry for the rant, just need a bit of advice, not criticism

mivecboy,

for what it’s worth, I have both the WDTV Live Plus and Two World drives (white light, not blue ring) and LOVE the setup for what your doing. My ONLY issue is Netflix and I am now actually very confident that will be resolved.

Frankly the World drives can use TVersity to present the audio and video as well as the shares so you can actually do some good customization if you wish.

Also as to why I have two 1TB World editions…I have enabled SSH and have one drive doing an rsync over SSH to do a complete backup of each other including the 500GB USB drives attached to the backs of them. It keeps my data backed up so my family photo albums aren’t lost in most scenarios and it also keeps works well to keep a week long file backup in case someone “accidentally”  deletes something I have a way to recover it. Even if I change something, as long as I identify it that day I can still recover.

But I think what some of the responders mean is the vision isn’t complete in the product yet. There are still some quirks and missing features you have to figure out for yourself. But the big features are there and overall, I think this has the possibility to be a massive home run for home media and IP enabled media.

SharpBarb wrote:

If your getting by at the moment then I would recommend that you wait. Google TV will probably be released before WD fixes the new bugs they will introduce in their next firmware release.

I have to say I think your wrong. I love the look of Google TV conceptually, but google is a services company and isn’t in for the “home media player” market they are going for the “Internet streaming player” market. It will be the third party add on makers that are required to make the home market work, and so far, there isn’t much there. Being it’s basically Android based Google TV will not be solving these issues soon.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Android. I have an Android phone and am hugely anxious to get an Android “iPad” like tablet, but again it is no panacea and it’s definitely not looking to replace the market this is aimed at. Instead Google TV looks to augment and improve this market even more.