Potential Buyer

I am looking to to burn my DVD’s & BD disks to a storage device that I can stream wirelessly to my TV via a D Link Boxee box.

Will any of the WD devices do this for me?

Thanks for reading.

Don’t know about streaming to the D-Link Boxee Box, but I’ve used the MyBook Live and MyBook Live Duo both of which work well with my WD TV Live SMP. If you do decide to buy either of these products, I’d suggest you stay away from the updates until you read other users confirm that the update did its job without bricking the HDD.

I would stay away from this device at this time.  Extremely unstable and unpredictable.  I havehad 3 installed inside the same environment(my house) and all 3 have behaved differently.  DLNA server is so bad, that I would not claim it even has one at this time.  The latest we have heard is that an update is coming out in late April.  I would wait until at least late May to see if WD is serious about fixing this device.

theos2 wrote:

I would stay away from this device at this time.  Extremely unstable and unpredictable.  I havehad 3 installed inside the same environment(my house) and all 3 have behaved differently.  DLNA server is so bad, that I would not claim it even has one at this time.  The latest we have heard is that an update is coming out in late April.  I would wait until at least late May to see if WD is serious about fixing this device.

By “this device” I’m assuming he’s talking about the boxee box- both my My Book Live and WD TV are extremly stable (at least compared to other similar devices- yes there is an occasional bug, but nothing world-ending and way better than the issues i’ve seen on competeing devices) and work perfectly. DLNA works great with non-video devices (who would use DLNA for video when  there is built in Samba share support?) including my digital picture frames and music players… I now have several My Book Live’s and a Duo and am thrilled with the entire line - the only complaint I have is that 6TB is not big enough :frowning:

I am talking about WD’s My Book Live Duo.

Your experience with this device is not typical.  Looks at reviews online and read any of the threads on this forum.  We all have DLNA issues, have returned and re-purchased  and still experience the same issues.  DLNA is 50/50 at best, with performance getting worse over time.  Feel free to search any of the other threads on this forum.

P.S.  WD has aknowledged that the DLNA has issues on this device and a patch is coming later this month.

I’ve had the MBL Duo for about 3 weeks now, received as a warranty replacement for the 2nd MBL that WD killed in less than a week with their crappy firmware releases.

Anyway, the MBL Duo came with the original firmware and I decided to stay with it for now. Drive functions as it should. Media server shows all my folders twice, so I set up Windows Share on my WDTV Live SMP and it works quite well.

My only gripe at this point is that the WDTV Live does not recognize the share folder as soon as it is selected (unlike the case with my original MBL while it was still functional) and I have to exit to home and back to the videos folder to browse & select content.

Did you add it to your media library?

Hi all,

I am a potential buyer also and I had a one question for those who have paired a Live Hub with the Live Duo.

I am crazy about my Hub but I would like to centralize my media with the Duo for streaming via network shares.  I had a Sony jukebox fail full of DVDs so I ripped all of that media to VOB and connected it to the Hub with an external HD.  Like I said I couldnt be happier with this device.

My question is this:

When the Duo is hooked up to the Hub via network shares will I be able to use Get Content Info and see my content the same way as if my external HDs were connected directly to the Hub?

I have tried a Pogoplug whicg was a non-starter.  I also have tried the Seagate GoFlex Home with some success.  With this device I was able to add folders to My Media Library but the DVD VOB folders were still displayed as folders where metadata was ignored.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I know you can do that on the Live Streaming, but i’m not sure if that was ported to the Hub or not (there are some small differences) - I would assume you can, but don’t want to give you a “false” yes…