Post Your SmartWare Win Version 1.5.0.17 Experiences Here

@Ties42 - See http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Smartware/WDFME-exe-Process-Keeps-Running/td-p/77252 for some temporary solutions to your (our) problem, which is apparently still very relevant.

Don’t expect any answers here though, this is a user community NOT a support community (as I have been told). Users helping users unless the moderator thinks differently. You will get some defensive staff members who at times get quite belligerent so please remember, your opinion here is irrelevant.

Probably the best thing to do is post it in a truly open forum as a “product review” at say TigerDirect, NewEgg or any of the other resellers of Western Digital equipment.

Installed 1.5.0.17. (Yes, I have installed all the updates for a year now).

It seems like WD has finally decided to use up all my CPU.

At every computer restart, WDFME.exe and the new shiny WDRulesEngine.exe takes 70% + 30% CPU.

Thanks for this WD and your competent developers. Now I don’t have to use the computer for anything else.

These are the final words from bill_s from the thread “WD SmartWare using too many resources”.

* “Granted Smartware has had some issues, resource usage being one of them, but we are working on that and have improved it tremendously.”

• Yes, it is now using 100 % CPU instead of 85%. Thanks for that improvement… 

* "But no matter what, continuous backup software will use signficant resources to run.  If that bothers you, then a continuous backup software is not for you. "

• In over 30 years, backup software has never used this much CPU. It would be really interesting if WD could explain what the CPU usage is for? Ok to use the disk, but what are you calcating?

* Or, if your current computer in unable to handle providing the resources required to run such a software, then it’s not for you. 

• What are the reqirements? Is my 3 GHz CPU enough for the calucations? Think about it, 3 Ghz! And WD is using all of it… for BACKUP!. This is amazing… I am a developer myself, and I can’t for my life understand why this specific backup software is uing so much CPU for? (It is clearly because you have hired the cheapest, most incompetent drag-and-drop programmers on the planet…).

To your developers, please read and learn (advice for free):

1. Don’t implement disk waits as loops:  while (disk_busy) {/* spin here */}. See, that will use up all CPU.

2. Don’t use all of the CPU, even if you can. Let other applications run by inserting some wait states. 

3. Please read a book about software development and how computers work.

4. Please go back to web development, where you can do less damage.

1 Like

Kjarvel wrote:

Installed 1.5.0.17. (Yes, I have installed all the updates for a year now).

It seems like WD has finally decided to use up all my CPU.

At every computer restart, WDFME.exe and the new shiny WDRulesEngine.exe takes 70% + 30% CPU.

Thanks for this WD and your competent developers. Now I don’t have to use the computer for anything else.

These are the final words from bill_s from the thread “WD SmartWare using too many resources”.

* “Granted Smartware has had some issues, resource usage being one of them, but we are working on that and have improved it tremendously.”

• Yes, it is now using 100 % CPU instead of 85%. Thanks for that improvement… 

* "But no matter what, continuous backup software will use signficant resources to run.  If that bothers you, then a continuous backup software is not for you. "

• In over 30 years, backup software has never used this much CPU. It would be really interesting if WD could explain what the CPU usage is for? Ok to use the disk, but what are you calcating?

* Or, if your current computer in unable to handle providing the resources required to run such a software, then it’s not for you. 

• What are the reqirements? Is my 3 GHz CPU enough for the calucations? Think about it, 3 Ghz! And WD is using all of it… for BACKUP!. This is amazing… I am a developer myself, and I can’t for my life understand why this specific backup software is uing so much CPU for? (It is clearly because you have hired the cheapest, most incompetent drag-and-drop programmers on the planet…).

1. Don’t implement disk waits as loops:  while (disk_busy) {/* spin here */}. See, that will use up all CPU.
  1. Don’t use all of the CPU, even if you can. Let other applications run by inserting some wait states. 
  1. Please read a book about software development and how computers work.
  1. Please go back to web development, where you can do less damage.

There are different kinds of backup software.  They can be broken down into two major groups: continuous and non-continuous backup software.  Non-continuous backup software will only use resources when they are running.  And they can use a lot of resources when they are running.  Continuous backup software use resources all the time because they are running all the time.  I agree, a hundred percent usage is not acceptable.

Your issues have been noted and forwarded to the product people.  However, if you are open, you might contact WD Support to see if there may be reasons why WD SmartWare is using so much resources on your computer.  We have helped others who have had this issue.

Old_Man_Swampy wrote:

@Ties42 - See http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Smartware/WDFME-exe-Process-Keeps-Running/td-p/77252 for some temporary solutions to your (our) problem, which is apparently still very relevant.

Don’t expect any answers here though, this is a user community NOT a support community (as I have been told). Users helping users unless the moderator thinks differently. You will get some defensive staff members who at times get quite belligerent so please remember, your opinion here is irrelevant.

Probably the best thing to do is post it in a truly open forum as a “product review” at say TigerDirect, NewEgg or any of the other resellers of Western Digital equipment.

Old_Man_Swampy, I know that you are upset that I closed down the original thread dealing with SmartWare using too much resources, but how is it that you think I’m being beligerent?  All I’m trying to do is make sure that any issues people are having with the new version of SmartWare don’t get lost or overlooked.  And, since I pulled your post to start this new thread in order to highlight your specific issue with the new SmartWare, how is it that you think I’m treating your opinion as irrelevant?  Your opinion is important, that’s why I used it.  That’s why this community is here.  And though this is a user to user community, that doesn’t mean we don’t pay attention. 

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply bill_s!

I have finally decided that continous backup from WD is not for me and my machine.

The 1.5.0.17 version with it’s 100% CPU usage, plus that I have some free time now, made up my mind.

So, I removed SmartWare and installed Comodo backup instead (free) - not a “continous” backup program, but my machine is now back to normal again. Even when doing a full backup, only around 60% CPU is used, so I can even work at the same time (if I choose to make a backup while working). So, my computer feels like new, and I am once again in control of what it is doing (not the other way around).

SmartWare is a good idea with a terrible implementation, too bad.

As a last wish, I guess a simple “Pause backup” button on the smartware icon would have solve most of the problems with this application. It would have been acceptable to pause the continous backup while working, then resume it afterwards.

So, thanks and bye SmartWare, I hope we will never meet again :slight_smile: I am sorry to say it will take a while before I consider WD products again…at least next time I will do a real investigation before buying anyway…

2 Likes

Kjarvel wrote:

Thanks for the reply bill_s!

I have finally decided that continous backup from WD is not for me and my machine.

The 1.5.0.17 version with it’s 100% CPU usage, plus that I have some free time now, made up my mind.

So, I removed SmartWare and installed Comodo backup instead (free) - not a “continous” backup program, but my machine is now back to normal again. Even when doing a full backup, only around 60% CPU is used, so I can even work at the same time (if I choose to make a backup while working). So, my computer feels like new, and I am once again in control of what it is doing (not the other way around).

SmartWare is a good idea with a terrible implementation, too bad.

As a last wish, I guess a simple “Pause backup” button on the smartware icon would have solve most of the problems with this application. It would have been acceptable to pause the continous backup while working, then resume it afterwards.

So, thanks and bye SmartWare, I hope we will never meet again :slight_smile: I am sorry to say it will take a while before I consider WD products again…at least next time I will do a real investigation before buying anyway…

We do actually have a pause button on the software, and we have actually recommended people use it when they need more resources than SmartWare is allowing.  But just think about it, if Comodo is using “only” 60% when it’s backing up, would that be acceptable if it was running all the time?  I don’t think so.  That’s the issue with continuous backup software. 

In any case, I am glad you found something that works for you. 

bill_s wrote:

Old_Man_Swampy wrote:

Old_Man_Swampy, I know that you are upset that I closed down the original thread dealing with SmartWare using too much resources, but how is it that you think I’m being belligerent?  All I’m trying to do is make sure that any issues people are having with the new version of SmartWare don’t get lost or overlooked.  And, since I pulled your post to start this new thread in order to highlight your specific issue with the new SmartWare, how is it that you think I’m treating your opinion as irrelevant?  Your opinion is important, that’s why I used it.  That’s why this community is here.  And though this is a user to user community, that doesn’t mean we don’t pay attention. 

Oh bill_s - You said my opinion of you actions of closing down the thread was irrelevant in a PM. You were only belligerent in the PM. I actually directed that comment to another member of WD’s staff (not Toretto) on the previous thread.

Again how could you miss a thread that states WDFME-exe-Process-Keeps-Running? If you have a problem keeping track of that, that’s your own internal problem.

Kjarvel hit the nail on the head.

Kjarvel wrote:

• What are the requirements? Is my 3 GHz CPU enough for the calucations? Think about it, 3 Ghz! And WD is using all of it… for BACKUP!. This is amazing… I am a developer myself, and I can’t for my life understand why this specific backup software is uing so much CPU for? (It is clearly because you have hired the cheapest, most incompetent drag-and-drop programmers on the planet…).

2. Don’t use all of the CPU, even if you can. Let other applications run by inserting some wait states. 

3. Please read a book about software development and how computers work.

4. Please go back to web development, where you can do less damage.

I’m not going to change what I did.  So, if you think that I’m being belligerent, because of that, then I’m sorry.  That’s not what I’m trying to do.  Nor was I meaning to imply that your opinion is irrelevant in the community.  I have a process that I’ve established for new software and firmware releases, in view of that, other opinions are irrelevant.   I only bring this up publicly because you keep pounding on me through your posts.  It’s time we drop this, so we can keep this thread on track.  Now, I’m sorry if I offended you, but enough is enough.

bill_s wrote:

I’m not going to change what I did.  So, if you think that I’m being belligerent, because of that, then I’m sorry.  That’s not what I’m trying to do.  Nor was I meaning to imply that your opinion is irrelevant in the community.  I have a process that I’ve established for new software and firmware releases, in view of that, other opinions are irrelevant.   I only bring this up publicly because you keep pounding on me through your posts.  It’s time we drop this, so we can keep this thread on track.  Now, I’m sorry if I offended you, but enough is enough.

I never asked you to change what you did I only disagreed with your action. I appreciate your apology. I also appreciate that you “have a process” but perhaps you might want to review that process for the future. I only brought this public because I don’t appreciate being bullied on a forum, publicly or privately, especially when I am a customer of your company.

Again, thank you for your apology.

Guess I’ll wait for another version before updating, 1.5.0.17 seems to cause more problems.  

Win XP SP3    32bit  1.66Ghz   - old system

I use version SmartWare 1.5.0.17 on a PC with Windows Vista SP2 - works perfectly. I did a few tests to restore files and everything is fine. CPU load is negligible - only indexing new files is felt that work. Until recently I used Windows 7 and there really a problem with high CPU. This is strange because the 7 should be better than Vista

The updated version seems having a bug.
After updated to 1.5.0.17, it works fine with my home computer, while, for my office computer, in the Home tab of SmartWare, only “system” box (the size shown is actually the size of all the used space of C: Drive) is shown for my computer hard drive, no documents, no music, etc., though I have all the categories checked in the backup tab.
I guess the bug makes it exclude the current user folder for my work computer. That’s why I can only see the “public” folder under “C:\Users” directory during data retrieve process using SmartWare. I work in a University. I use my University network username and password to log into my Windows 7 system on my office computer; my current user folder [under “C:\Users”] name is my University network username. However, the Windows 7 Start Menu shows my Full real name. Maybe this is the reason why SmartWare thinks my current user folder is solely owned by other users and then excludes the current user folder for backup.

I have tried unstalling and restalling many times but in vain.

Old_Man_Swampy wrote:

Old_Man_Swampy, sorry if you budded heads with any of our Community Moderation staff.  I am not a moderator, or affiliated with the forum other than I am a WD employee, and I like to help out our customers on here, as well as the feedback on here really helps me in my role at WD.  I do, however, personally know our forum moderation staff and know that they would not intentionally try to insult you or belittle you.  If they did, I will personally apologize on their behalf, but also say, in good heart, that was not their intention.  They do have certain rules that have to be enforced, and I respect that.

That being said, we do have a very good trace on this problem and are working to fix this issue seen in 1.5.0 version of Smartware.  I will post what information that I can in the resolution of this problem.

Toretto wrote:

Old_Man_Swampy wrote:

Old_Man_Swampy, sorry if you budded heads with any of our Community Moderation staff.  I am not a moderator, or affiliated with the forum other than I am a WD employee, and I like to help out our customers on here, as well as the feedback on here really helps me in my role at WD.  I do, however, personally know our forum moderation staff and know that they would not intentionally try to insult you or belittle you.  If they did, I will personally apologize on their behalf, but also say, in good heart, that was not their intention.  They do have certain rules that have to be enforced, and I respect that.

That being said, we do have a very good trace on this problem and are working to fix this issue seen in 1.5.0 version of Smartware.  I will post what information that I can in the resolution of this problem.

My problem with your staff is over as far as I’m concerned Toretto and they have already apologized. Thank you.

I am so sick of this drive and software. I started experiencing boot problems as a previous poster did. I never got a message just a blank screen, until I unplugged Mr. Western Digital, then my system continued through the boot sequence. So I uninstalled "SmartWare (what an odd choice of names because it sooo isn’t). It continued to happen. I decided to check my BIOS, which was working fine before this version of software, and changed the “Boot from Other” option to NO. The last option, should have booted from the HD before anyway. Remember now, all was booting fine before the new version 1.5. Then when I reboot it boot slow but boots. I did notice the WD drive blink 3, 5 then 10 times before XP started. Go to check it in “My Computer” and it is empty. OK so I reboot again. Now no drive letter.

I know, call Support and go through 2 hours of mindless troubleshooting. “Is the drive plugged in” “Have you turned your computer off and on?” If you have a solution please share it because it’s not only me!!!

What the **bleep** did you do to my computer?!?!?!? No need to answer.

I will take this issue up with CostCo where I purchased it and voice my opinion on as many sites that I belong to because I’ve heard your storyline time and time again, “Our software didn’t do that” then “we can’t make it recur” then  “we have a fix”, then “that fix wasn’t for you” then “we have another fix” then “oh that’s a new problem”. Jeeeez guys get your **bleep** together (yes bill I “cussed”). You, Western Digital, have wasted my time, wasted my money and lost a customer for life. And I will share this opinion with all of my Analyst and IT Purchasing buddies.

WD Smartware **bleep**. No other words to describe it.

i updated WD SmartWare 1.5.0.17 and firmware last week. The software works fine. But everytime I start my desktop, 2 WD Smartware services: WDRulesEngine (WD Business Rule Engine) and WDFME (WD File Management Engine just occupy my CPU for 10-15 mins to almost 100%. I dont know what the **bleep** they are doing. It’s worse than the old version. I get no choice but have to disable all WD services.

Anyone can help on this problem?

Thanks!

Andy

Horrible expeience…

Just loaded 1.5.0.17.  Not experiencing any CPU loading but when I select the C or D drive on the home page, the bar graph underneath doesn’t show any files.  Zip. Zero. None. 0.0KB Free.

The Backup and Retrieve tabs are greyed out.  The “Drive Settings”: “Set Up Drive” button is greyed out.

What good is this if it doesn’t even see files on the C or D drive of my laptop?

But after reading everyone else’s comments, maybe I don’t want the software anyway.

Absolute crud.  What ever happened to ‘not selling something if it is poor quality’?

I’ve uninstalled WD Samartware 1.5.0.17 from my Quad Core Win7 64 bit machine. The WDFME.exe process has a memory leak that eventually consumes all 12 GB of memory on my machine.  There appears to be threads talking about fixes for CPU and memory issue but I can tell you it isn’t fixed yet!

core2 e8400 @ 3.8ghz

4gb ram

2tb MyBook

Win XP pro sp3 32bit

yes, v1.5.0.17 is consuming between 50%-90% of cpu continuously

yes, backup when idle set to on

yes, cpu priority of WDFME is low

yes, it’s set to back files rather than categories, and have exluded things I don’t want backed up

so

• why does it still say “categorizing your files” on the home page of smartware?

• why does STOP backup (there is no “pause”) still NOT REDUCE cpu usage? - only killing WDFME or “safely removing My Book Essential” reduces WDFME’s cpu usage

also about to uninstall unless some magic happens

Old_Man_Swampy, I don’t know if you’ve already returned your drive but if you are still having boot problems then I think my steps might help.  There are a couple places where I had to look for the proper boot settings.  On the Boot tab I have these options:

Boot Device Priority

Hard Disk Drives

Removable Drives

CD ROM Drives

I first had to select Hard Disk Drives then re-enable my system drive.  The SmartWare, despite claims to the contrary, seems to change this.  After that, select Boot Device Priority and enable your system drive and disable the WD drive.  I know you mentioned that you checked your BIOS settings but it still sounded like you might have setting problems there and I had to recheck my settings also.  Not all BIOS versions are the same but these names and settings should at least be very similar.  Hope that helps.

To everyone with speed / resource issues you might just consider doing what another poster did and just scrap the SmartWare.  There are some decent, free backup utilities and even Windows has its own backup utility.  The WD hardware is solid so you may consider searching for software.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-backup-program

http://download.cnet.com/windows/backup-software/