Post here if you hate Smartware

Just bought a WD drive…and had to post here because of how much I hate this drive because of the Smartware.

How about an I hate WD Smartware thread going to vent a little? Just bought a WD, and found out I can’t

get rid of this stupid program, only hide it. And once it installed by itself, IT SCREWED UP ALL MY

DRIVE LETTERS. I feel like I’ve been violated.

I would fire the guy who came up with this idea of putting this bloatware/crapware on the firmware

without giving the customer the option of getting rid of it. I’m never buying another WD drive again, and even

if they do fix it, can you trust a company that makes such a stupid mistake?

POST HERE IF YOU HATE SMARTWARE.

2 Likes

Without diminishing your hatred for SmartWare post, did you know that you don’t have to use SmartWare?  SmartWare is a software that installs on your computer and can be uninstalled as well.  So, you don’t have to deal with SmartWare at all.  What is part of the drive, though, is the VCD.  That can’t be gotten rid of, but it can be hidden.  It must stay because it has functions that are necessary for the drive if you want to use them, such as password protection and diagnostics.

Yah the Smartware really ■■■■■

Slow

Hangs

Takes forever to switch tans - looong hour glass

no way to verify if the backup  ia good

total junk - hope the drive is reliable, but there is no way to tell if if really working or not

This is like the quality ot Windows ME…

Am trying W7 native backup to see if it is OK other wise it is RMA time — and if I get off-shore BS from support it will be then complain to amazon and the credit card company for non-performanceand get my money back

I really don;t have time to mess around with this stuff - WD people - you should be ashamed - you have lost all respect

1 Like

i want Smartware REMOVE!

wow.  i posted the below message a few days ago, and (as predicted) my post has been censored (deleted, actually) by the WD Stasi, mainly for violating the forum rule “Be Respectful.”

WD recommends that i “keep [my] tone positive and your comments constructive.”

unfortunately, there are no positive remarks to be made about WD’s products, and more importantly, their corporate policies.  i wish WD would employ their own ethical principles towards their treatment of ripped-off, disenfranchised customers!  we are still waiting for some positive, constructive and respectful actions!

here, redacted for “politeness enhancement” is my original message.  edits are enclosed in .  i wonder how long it’ll take the WD Legion of Decency to delete this, too.

no matter!  there are SO MANY angry (former) WD customers out there who feel the same way i do . . . and many other outlets for us to gather and commiserate.

that said, here goes nothing (and i’ll post it only once this time):

dear ,

so my problem is this:  after updating the firmware, software, and installing the VCD manager exactly as your website describes, my TWO brand-new passport drives are not recognised by my computer.  up until making those updates USING YOUR DOWNLOADS AND FOLLOWING *YOUR* INSTRUCTIONS, they had been working just fine.  they still light up and are spinning, so i know it is not a mechanical failure.

IT IS *YOUR* FAILURE AND *YOUR* FAULT WITH YOUR WARE UPDATES AND BAD INSTRUCTIONS, WESTERN DIGITAL!!!

i tried to troubleshoot the problem myself, then i checked out the Knowledge Base and Community forums.

well, well, well, lo and behold, there are HUNDREDS of other people having similar problems with Ware, and quite a few Mac users with the *exact* issue i am trying to deal with!  i feel so much less lonely knowing that there are so many people (both Windows and Mac users!) that have been SWINDLED out of their data, their productivity, their effort and their time by Western DIgital.

after trying every suggestion found on your website to no avail, i finally called your customer service line and spoke with two representatives; one regular tech support rep and one “advanced” tech support rep.  the first person i spoke with treated me like a , asking me to “try unplugging the device and then plugging it back in,” “try restarting your computer and see what happens,” and “try plugging it into a different USB port.”

please.  like i hadn’t ALREADY tried all of those things three times before i called WD “support.”

this was SUPER annoying and actually almost OFFENSIVE - first being talked to like i’m some moron who knows nothing about computers, and then having my time wasted by the tech rep making these idiotic suggestions.  i kept telling him “I DID THAT ALREADY.”

“well, what was the outcome?”

“IT DIDN’T WORK!!!”

then, he suggested that it was a mechanical flaw or defect with the drives.

“now that’s just bull.”

not knowing how to be of further assistance, he suggested that i return the drives to WD and have them repaired or replaced.

frustrated, i requested to speak with someone who actually knows something about computers, and was connected with an even more condescending, arrogant rep who first tried to suggest that this was MY FAULT and that i must have downloaded the wrong updates (!!!), or otherwise did not follow the instructions when doing the updates.

oh yeah, that’s right.   me.  WTF!!!

ultimately, he was unable to be of any help whatsoever and also concluded that i send the drives back to WD for repair or replacement.

“but that is a PAIN IN THE ,” i whined.  “. . . and it’s Western DIgital’s fault for imposing this whole ridiculous matter on my life and the lives of countless other (former) customers!”

“look, lady - do you want to troubleshoot your problem or not?”

“FINE.  okay.  next brilliant suggestion, please.”

“uh . . . actually, um . . . there’s nothing else to do that will fix it.  you should just send them back to WD.”

“BUT THAT IS A PAIN IN THE !!!”

what is perhaps even more infuriating is that your site ADMITS that there is a problem with the Mac update, and that the download link has been “temporarily disabled until further notice.”

THAT WAS WEEKS AGO.

::tumbleweeds::

AND (!!!) IT IS A LIE.  downloading the faulty update is *NOT* in fact suspended!  so you are actually setting people up to up their drives, and offer no other support alternative but to CALL YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE HOTLINE.

now, FINALLY, there is a “new” PooWare update for Mac and Windows users.

and people who have naively, optimistically tried the new updates are already preaching on the forum for others *NOT* to even bother with the updates . . . BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WORK.

this is OUTRAGEOUS.

i have NEVER encountered such an ARROGANT, UNHELPFUL, UNAPOLOGETIC and UNETHICAL company before.

i have already decided that i now HATE WD and its products, and don’t want to have anything to do with your software, updates, advice and customer service.  many others on the forum are likewise swearing that they will never buy any of your products again.

DO YOU EVEN CARE, WESTERN DIGITAL!?!?  apparently not.

but  wait . . . here’s the BEST part of the story:

until i receive either a refund, an apology, or at least some ADVICE THAT WORKS, i decided to quell my anger by coming to the forum to share my sad tale of customer abuse and neglect.  i signed up and signed in, only to receive this message:

<<Authentication Failed.

The link you clicked is requesting an operation that requires authentication, but the authentication failed.

There are five main reasons why this may happen:

1. The link you clicked on was not generated for you, but was intended only for someone else’s use to perform an action on their account. If the other person pasted such a link into a message body or you were re-directed to such a link from another link you clicked on, the authentication will fail and you will arrive here instead.

2. The link was valid for you, but your authentication ticket has expired. If this is the case, hit the back button in your browser and refresh the page containing the link. You will then get a fresh ticket and when you click on the link again it will work.

3. Your browser session may have expired. If so, hit the back button in your browser, then refresh the page containing the link you clicked on. You will get a fresh ticket and if you click on the link again it will work.

4. Your browser may be set to not accept session cookies (or the cookie may have been deleted, or you may have been prompted and refused the cookie), in this case you should modify your browser settings to accept session cookies, and/or accept the session cookie if you are prompted, in order to use this site.

5. Your browser arrived at this location from someplace other than this site (an external link or site), or your browser or security software may be set to not send referrer information, in this case you should use the links on this site itself or verify that your browser or security software settings allow sending referrer information, in order to use this site.>>

awesome.  thanks!

(in fact, in order to successfully log in, i must delete all the WD cookies prior to login, enter my username and password, get one error message, resubmit a second time, and THEN, if i am lucky, i can get in.)

the next day, i received a customer satisfaction survey in my inbox.  i nearly on the floor.

ARE YOU SERIOUS!?

AS IF, Western Digital!!!

AS IF YOU EVEN GIVE A ABOUT CUSTOMER SATISFACTION!!!

don’t even pretend.

apparently, WD has a long-standing tradition of its customers with , and then turning around and insinuating that IT IS ALL SOMEHOW THE CUSTOMERS’ FAULT.

wow.  now *that* takes .  it must be written somewhere in the corporate constitution and mission statement.  i bet it’s the title of the training manuals and workplace policy handouts that are given to all new employees.

knock it off, Western Digital.  quit sending me your obnoxious e-mail announcements advertising more of your ridiculously cruddy products, and send me an e-mail when you finally get a clue.

yes, i understand that i may have to wait indefinitely.

(don’t worry, i’m not holding my breath.)

i don’t even want my drives replaced.  why should i?  so i can go through this insufferable ordeal all over again!?  i want my money back so i can get two new LaCie drives, which is what i should have done in the first place. 

look, Western Digital . . . i know that you don’t give a rat’s about me, or any of your other dissatisfied customers for that matter.  i doubt anyone from WD will even bother reading this complaint, or if they do, it won’t be long before it “mysteriously disappears” from the forum.

my only solace is that, for at least a brief time, legions of other unhappy, ripped-off customers may read this message, pump their fists in the air and say “word!”

perhaps (oh, maybe this is just a pipe dream) . . . perhaps some may even see fit to post it or host it elsewhere (hint).  misery loves company, it seems . . . and suddenly, i am feeling very, very popular.

goodbye forever, Western Digital!  it’s been real . . . it’s been fun . . . . . . but not real fun.

don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

love,

me

X O X O Smiley Face!  :wink: :wink: :wink:

What irony “SMARTWARE”…I bought a WD Ext HD on May 29-2010( my book Essential)…can’t even update firmware OR the lastest version of software. I feel like this External HD from WESTERN DIGITALand the associated software has highjacked my computer…and the phone support is nothing short of an “F”.

Surely a techy from WD can help consumers out on the use of this product…we’re talking software updates here not solving the world’s problems!!!

Wow, WD Company should hide their head in shame for marketing this external hard drive like it was as easy as 1-2-3 to use.

Very frustrated…Garry

“It must stay because it has functions that are necessary for the drive if you want to use them, such as password protection and diagnostics.”

Ok, so maybe I’m confusing my hatred of smartware with the VCD. Anyhow I don’t recall previous versions of WD hard drives having a VCD. Why does it have to “stay”? Can’t you guys at WD figure out a way to permanently remove it instead of hiding the **bleep** thing?

As far as smartware goes, even uninstalling the software STILL LEAVES BEHIND SOME PROGRAMS. There’s all this ■■■■ “WD” programs i see in the taskmanager. I kill those processes and they don’t affect my access to the drive, so obviously something is fishy.

You guys realize you’ve just alienated a lot of dedicated customers unless you figure out an acceptable solution (and no, hiding it is not a soluction)? Seriously, looking at all the postings on this forum, nearly all are about how much people hate smartware and the VCD. I’ve bought 3 WD products…and they will be my last.

Hey,

TLDNL 

Disable VCD Guide

And thank you for everything you have said about the smartware, 

WD (hmm shall I say probably?.. nah i know for sure) themselves think its ■■■■ as well,

Guess what, next range → no smartware! :smileyvery-happy:

The new usb 3.0 HDD are great!

Greetings,

Someone

Once again though - disabling is not the same as deleting.
That link just lets us ‘hide’ the VCD - but it is still there, and we can’t get rid of it.

What we need is a firmware update that will allow for removal of the VCD partition.
As far as I’m concerned WD is flat out lying in their advertising/labeling of these drives.

If I buy a 1TB drive then I expect to have 1TB of usable space.

Not an unreasonable assumption, is it?

Yep, SmartWare is complete rubbish. It divides your files up on the drive into mirrored directory structures according to file type. So if you want to restore a directory manually, you have to amalgamate 6 directories to get all the file types in that 1 directory. And the retrieve tab in SmartWare takes at least half an hour, each time I’ve visited it, to bring up the directory structure. I’ve not yet been able to retrieve a single file through it, as it hangs and become unresponsive for minutes at a time each time I try to do anything with it.

Buyer beware.

I also hate the SMartware, and more than that I want it off my disk. I bought what I thought was an external hard disk and I want all the space. Hiding the system is unacceptable, I want it gone, I want the space. This is enough to stop me every buying WD again. HOW DO I DELETE IT!

I posted this under the My Book section but this seemed to be a better place for it.

This is very annoying that they install a hidden partition taking up this much storage space without giving us the tools to properly remove the hidden partition and claim that space back. We paid for the advertised space, not some of it.

This is called advertising deception. They advertise 1 TB but I only get 960GB and this isn’t listed on the box, in the documentation or Internet advertisements, so you believe your are getting something your not. Between the two drives I just purchased, that is 80GB total. Don’t get me wrong, we purchase a lot of WD’s products and they are great, but this specific issue is wrong. You have to inform the public with this type of information so they can make the proper determination whether they want this product or another and you also need to provide the tools to remove it if they don’t want this bloatware.

Reading all the posts regarding this same problem, support can only help with hiding the Virtual CD “Apply this and it will be hidden” but not removed. It would be easy to take it back and purchase another product, but it’s not fair for current and future consumers to have to deal with this since it wasn’t properly labeled for us to make an informed decision.

We waste a lot of time and expense purchasing online or traveling to purchase this product and find out about the storage limitation and the fact it can’t be permanently removed. Now we have to go through the hassles of returning it (at our expense) and purchase another item/product or the delay in receiving a replacement in the mail.

I will take the box, Internet Advertising and product documentation to some attorneys on this and report my findings. Might be a class action lawsuit for deceptive advertising and not providing the proper tools to remove this.

Wauw, never figured that people have so little to do. That people will actually spend time flaming on a forum about a product. If you were smart in the first place, look at reviews and double check what you buy first.

You could try spending your time doing something more constructive, like getting an education or finding a new Job.

Everybody Happy,

Thank you for the hate posts, it really makes my day.

:smileyvery-happy:

someone

Funny,

I bet when you buy a computer and it comes with a copy of Office you think you will be able to uninstall the software when you dont like it! There is no reason that at this point WD doesnt look at all these posts and simply offer us a way to delete the stuff.

Hi,

Quite obvious why. It is a UDF partition. They simply cannot give out the software to get rid of the smartware due to legal purposses. The passport was designed in this way so you have the ability to password protect them. If they give out the software to get rid of the UDF partition then everyone who actually uses the smartware and has it password protected can be robbed of their drive and then the UDF partition can be taken off. This holds the key to the type of incryption they use.

They simply cannot give out the source,

Regards,

Someone

OK. Why dont they tell you this in advertisements?

I understand what your are saying, but that is WDC fault for not factoring this issue out ahead of time before releasing this to the general public. If they actually designed it, then it would be very easy to code or design the boards and software to allow removal without compromising other peoples data that want and like this feature. But to the people that didn’t get the advertised storage capacity that they paid for and are being forced hostage to accept it can’t be removed and not provide a removal method or tool is bad PR.

If it was clearly labeled on the box , documentation and Internet Advertising that you are buying a 1TB USB Hard Drive but your actual capacity is 950 etc because we have implemented this new technology that can’t not be removed, so please factor this in for your storage requirements. But they did not, and that is called deceptive advertisement behavior.

There is just way too many people that does not want this on their hard drive. They are forcing them to keep it whether they want it or not. “I know, people say do your research, read reviews or take the product back and get something else” well most have but once WDC took the money from the consumer for an advertised product and the consumer gets home and realizes that its not what they were told - then WDC is held liable. This will eventually land in court because WDC plain and simply sold an item stating 1TB (which is what the hard drive space is but not what the consumer gets) and they are refusing to provide the proper tools to remove it. There is just to many cases won in court all the way to the Supreme Court over this very same thing.People are just tired of Big Corporations taking advantage of consumers.

WDC is a great company and offers great products and I have never had any problems with one product over the thousands we have purchased over the years at the company and home, but this one is a small blunder that can easily be fixed versus millions in Litigation. Everyone understands even the biggest make mistakes, but no matter how they try to justify it, they didn’t inform the consumer and they didn’t provide the tools to remove and reclaim the space that was advertised and payed for.

To some, that small storage reduction from the UDF partition is a lot; some people don’t analysis storage requirements like the tech industry does. 30-40GB’s is a lot of music, movies, backups etc…

I hope this gets worked out and they provide a tool or method to permanently remove it. And again WDC builds great products and this USB is also but not the UDF partition for some.

WD responded, rather promptly and helpfully to my request for support on this problem. Obviously they are working on the issue of erasing the VCD - lets hope they release the software quickly> Edited copy of their email as follows:

Dear Peter,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. …

Unfortunately, the VCD can not be remove from the drives, we’re also currently working on an update to completely erase application’s VCD, but we don’t have any release date yet, however, you can manually copy/paste, transfer or drag and drop files directly into the hard drive, without needing to use the program, you will just need to open My computer, under “hard disk drives” you will find an icon for your drive i.e.: My Passport drive (x), where you will drag, copy or transfer files of preference. We have released a new software update that allows you to disable the program’s VCD. Please check further information on the link below.

Title: How to move or copy files from one hard drive to another in Windows
Link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1198

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Hey :slight_smile:

macVsog wrote:

I understand what your are saying, but that is WDC fault for not factoring this issue out ahead of time before releasing this to the general public. If they actually designed it, then it would be very easy to code or design the boards and software to allow removal without compromising other peoples data that want and like this feature. But to the people that didn’t get the advertised storage capacity that they paid for and are being forced hostage to accept it can’t be removed and not provide a removal method or tool is bad PR.

The Main problem here is, is that there is some guy up there who thought of this software. And everyone in marketing thought it was GREAT. Well it is not. The first week the product went out it was causing problems, firmware updates went wrong and software did not transfer files or even see files etc. etc etc.

If the guy that thought of this software suddenly said, oh it is actually **bleep**, woeps! Then he might lose his job or will not be listened to again etc. This means that they will lie as much as possible and cover up the sh*t the smartware created

If it was clearly labeled on the box , documentation and Internet Advertising that you are buying a 1TB USB Hard Drive but your actual capacity is 950 etc because we have implemented this new technology that can’t not be removed, so please factor this in for your storage requirements. But they did not, and that is called deceptive advertisement behavior.

You are absolutely wrong here, have you ever heared of binary? The software takes arround 500 MB!

Decimal vs. Binary:

For simplicity and consistency, hard drive manufacturers define a megabyte as 1,000,000 bytes and a gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes. This is a decimal (base 10) measurement and is the industry standard. However, certain system BIOSs, FDISK and Windows define a megabyte as 1,048,576 bytes and a gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 bytes. Mac systems also use these values. These are binary (base 2) measurements.

To Determine Decimal Capacity :

A decimal capacity is determined by dividing the total number of bytes, by the number of bytes per gigabyte (1,000,000,000 using base 10).

To Determine Binary Capacity:> A binary Capacity **is determined by dividing the total number of bytes, by the number of bytes per gigabyte (1,073,741,824 using base 2).**This is why different utilities will report different capacities for the same drive. The number of bytes is the same, but a different number of bytes is used to make a megabyte and a gigabyte. This is similar to the difference between 0 degrees Celsius and 32 degrees Fahrenheit. It is the same temperature, but will be reported differently depending on the scale you are using.

There is just way too many people that does not want this on their hard drive. They are forcing them to keep it whether they want it or not. “I know, people say do your research, read reviews or take the product back and get something else” well most have but once WDC took the money from the consumer for an advertised product and the consumer gets home and realizes that its not what they were told - then WDC is held liable. This will eventually land in court because WDC plain and simply sold an item stating 1TB (which is what the hard drive space is but not what the consumer gets) and they are refusing to provide the proper tools to remove it. There is just to many cases won in court all the way to the Supreme Court over this very same thing.People are just tired of Big Corporations taking advantage of consumers.

Court = [deleted] = Americans :smileyvery-happy: I SUE YOU! WELL THEN SUE ME! God, southpark is fun :smileyvery-happy:

WDC is a great company and offers great products and I have never had any problems with one product over the thousands we have purchased over the years at the company and home, but this one is a small blunder that can easily be fixed versus millions in Litigation. Everyone understands even the biggest make mistakes, but no matter how they try to justify it, they didn’t inform the consumer and they didn’t provide the tools to remove and reclaim the space that was advertised and payed for.

There is a way to get the UDF off, however if you do that you will lose warranty. There are always ways :wink:

To some, that small storage reduction from the UDF partition is a lot; some people don’t analysis storage requirements like the tech industry does. 30-40GB’s is a lot of music, movies, backups etc…

Plain Wrong! See Above, the binary lesson 101 :wink:

I hope this gets worked out and they provide a tool or method to permanently remove it. And again WDC builds great products and this USB is also but not the UDF partition for some.

True =D

Have a nice day,

Someone

Great reply WDude, hope it explains some aspects better than me. When you said ’ There is a way to get the UDF off, however if you do that you will lose warranty. There are always ways"

That is what some people want but all they tell us is that it can’t be removed. If it can, please ellaborate so we can remove it?