Possible to "sync" between google drive and WD Mycloud?

Is there a way to automatically sync between a folder within my google drive account and my WD NAS?

What’s the best way to do this.  Again “AUTOMATICALLY” is the key word here,

Thanks,

SV

Hello,

A way that you can kind of sync you Google drive, is to select the Google drive folder into a network device, however this would require the computer to be turned on in order to sync Google drive on your NAS. 

This could be a kind of sync of your Google drive on a network drive, however I recommend doing this on an empty folder of your NAS since it will try to sync everything on the folder at the moment.

Here is what I tried on a Windows pc to do in order to test this:

When you download Google Drive to your PC a default folder will be created in C:\Users[your name]\Google Drive. If you want to change the name or location of this folder you can do so by following the steps below. This tip is useful if you need the Google Drive folder to have a standard url for all your company – for 3rd party apps for example.

1. Click on the Google Drive icon in your system tray (usually bottom right of your Windows task bar)
  2. Click on the 3 dots icon top right and choose Preferences
  3. Click on the Account tab and choose Disconnect account , your Drive will be disconnected but your files will stay on your PC
  4. Click on the Google Drive icon again
  5. Sign in when asked, step through the set up until you reach a screen with the option Advanced setup or Finished – click on  Advanced setup
  6. Click Change to choose the folder name and location – if you choose an existing folder it must be empty
  7. Your files will now be re-synced down to your PC in this new location
  8. Delete the old folder and files – if you want to.

Hope this helps you out in some way.

1 Like

Hey! Great idea, however, this didn’t work for me.

I got all the way thru the process until it asks me to select “folder location”, I point it to my NAS “\192.168.1.10\X” which is an empty directory…and I get the following error:

“The location selected for your Google drive folder is not writable. Please fix this or choose another location for your Google Drive Folder.”

I can write to the WD NAS in that folder, I’ve set up permission, and can write to it from within windows either by IP or mapped network drive, but however I put the path into the google drive target folder, it gives me this error.  Have you seen this?

THanks,

SV

Hello,

Try to see if this folder is public or private, this is the reason you might be getting this error.

1 Like

THAT WORKED!

Thanks!

Hi,

I have my share set to public, but get the same error. Is there someting else I need to do to allow google sync with the share ?

If my PC is off , will GDrive synchronize with My Cloud?

Apparently not. See ArMak’s post above.

A way that you can kind of sync you Google drive, is to select the Google drive folder into a network device, however this would require the computer to be turned on in order to sync Google drive on your NAS.

I use GoodSync on my MyCloud Gen1 , when I try to synchronize Gdrive with MyCloud my synchronization stuck on authorization. I install Lynx , but for authorization need JavaScript must be execute, Lynx doesnt support JavaScripts.
Any Ideas ?

I am having the same problem. I created a “Google” folder on MyCloud and set it to public (I’ve tried this with and without media sharing enabled). When I initially set up Google Drive, it asks for a folder to sync to. I designate this one. Google Drive immediately quits. What gives?

Hello,

To do this, the way i know so far is to do the following if you like to keep files private:

1- Download Google Drive if not downloaded and Sync files to somewhere on your laptop / Desktop
2- Sync Google Drive with all folders or selected folders, you will find that while running it for the first time.
3- Match your MyCloud Folders Setup to Google Drive Folders Setup if you like.
2- Download WD Sync and connect it to your MyCloud Device. / https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904#WD_downloads
3- Right click on WD Sync in System Try afte ryou run and choose setting
4- You will see current folder created by WD Sync Called My Cloud , Click on Add Folder , Choose The Google Drive folder on your local laptop/Desktop you want to sync " Choose your specific subfolder as we will organize folders to match My Cloud to our Google Drive setup if you like.
5- Next Choose the Local folder on Mycloud you want to sync that specific folder to
6- Repeat the process for each folder.

Don’t Forget to Run WD Sync if it was on Pause.

Voala!.

2 Likes

I don’t want to sync because I don’t have room on my local folders. I want to sync from Google Drive on the cloud to a folder on WD MyCloud. I already have the software installed. Basically, I want to use the WD MyCloud as an external drive where the Google Drive folders are stored.

I think you can achieve what you want by going through the same steps and choose your WD as your Google drive folder , for Google drive to be able to access it you will need to settle with the public folder or create a folder that is publicly accessible. And just let Google drive run in the background and download directly to your WD through your laptop or desktop

But I wouldn’t recommend that.

Get Outlook for Androidhttps://aka.ms/ghei36

On a PC or Mac?

Map the MyCloud share as a network drive.
Point Google Drive at the mapped network drive.

WD should integrate GoogleDrive jut as they integrated Dropbox, comeon WD.

While one is waiting (or praying) for WD to maybe (if the planets align) to update either the My Cloud firmware or the WD apps/software to sync between cloud based services and the My Cloud. One can use the unofficial GoodSync mod to possibly perform a sync between cloud service and the My Cloud without the need for a computer or mobile device to initiate the sync/transfer.

Of course there are other ways to possibly sync content between the My Cloud and online cloud services that involve mapping the My Cloud to the local computer and using the cloud service software to access that mapped drive.

that is too much. Is there an app for ppl like me?

Too much what?

I don’t know. What sort of ppl are you?

What is too much? What sort of “app” are you looking for?

Bottom line is there is no easy way to directly sync (or backup) a My Cloud device to an online storage service like Google Drive WITHOUT having to use a computer or other device as an intermediary. The link(s) posted above indicate how to use SSH to install a third party unsupported service that would allow the My Cloud to directly backup to a cloud based storage service.

One could always “map” the My Cloud to their computer then use the software from the cloud backup service to copy files from that mapped drive to the cloud based storage service.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=2686

Just in case anyone comes to this looking for info. I’ve played around with this and found that you can sync to one drive, google drive and/or Dropbox now. It’s not instant sync and takes a few minutes to update but it’s great addition.

I could only work out how to do it using the iPhone app but sure it can be done on computers too.

Go to do more > social/cloud import.