Like many of you, I have been fighting with the the SAoD for quite some time. I’ve been running WDTVs for a few years, but it just started happening about 6 months ago.
My library is all MKV files. DVDs are converted via Handbrake. BDs are bit perfect rips via PavTube.
I tried everything I could find in the forums, and nothing worked. I also tried different media servers including Serviio, PS3 Media Server, and Universal Media Server.
In trying to get streaming working via my Xbox, I ended up installing tversity, AND EVERYTHING WORKED! Since there is no “free to try” option, I hadn’t used it before. At first, I had all the files transcoding, because I figured the WDTV would lock up, same as before. But then, I set tversity to never transcode, and I could not lock up the WDTV (Which used to happen on the 2nd or third file I opened).
My setup is a Windows box hosting some files and pointing to a NAS for others.
This is what I did (not sure how critial any of these steps are. Just letting you know what worked for me).
- Uninstalled all other media servers.
- Uninstalled all CODEC packs.
- Ran “ccleaner” in Windows and used the “Cleaner” and “Registry” tools. Run them multiple times, sometimes things stick.
- Installed K-Lite “full” CODEC pak with default options. (Careful not to install the crapware).
- Installed tversity.
- Pointed tversity to my media files.
- Configured tversity --> settings --> Never Transcode
- Connected to media server via WDTV and started watching content!
I understand that everyone has a different setup, but this worked for me. I’m not sure what is different about tversity from the other media servers I had used, but so far, it is working great.
Also, I should mention that all my devices are wired ethernet, so full bitrate streaming is not a problem. If you are connecting over Wi-Fi, you may have better success with transcoding the movies.