Possible HDMI Bug Found

Hi-

I just picked up the Hub and have a Pioneer receiver.

Turning ON the hub, and then switching the Pioneer AVR to the HDMI port connected to the hub leaves me with a black screen.   I need to power cycle the unit to get the menu to show up with the HDMI port pre-selected in the Pioneer for anything to show up on the screen.

It’s as though if the Hub does not sense an HDMI connection it switches to composite or something.

My Video Output is set to HDMI 1080p/60hz, not to Auto.

Anyone else finding this problem?  Thanks!

Can you update the firmware on your TV? If so have you done so? Have you tried another HDMI cable?

I have pretty much the exact same issue, except when connected direct to my TV.

Unless the TV is turned on first and pre-set to the correct HDMI input for a few seconds, the Hub will fail to complete the HDMI handshake and revert to Composite (black screen).  

As you say, putting the unit into and out of Standby will get a signal, except you need to reset your A/V settings back to the appropriate HDMI setting.

I’ve also noticed that every time I switch on the Hub, even if I get the TV ready in advance, my settings have changed from 1080p to 720p.

Annoying.

I’m pretty sure WD are aware of it but always worth getting more people complaining, helps raise its priority with the firmware team.  HDMI seems to be the big issue with all 3 Live units right now.  Given they have the same Sigma chip, once they get it cracked for one, the fix will be available for all 3 models.

Interesting - I too see that my settings have changed from 1080p to 720p after this handshaking failure.

Glad it’s not just me and my Pioneer!  (SC-37)

Hopefully they’ll take this as a bug report for their next firmware release.

Oh, they know about it all right… The same issues are affecting all of their products right now except the wdtv gen1 and 2…

I have the WD TV Live (not Plus) and am able to turn the unit on before switching to it on my AVR.

That is, the WD TV Live will display some screen in 1080p/50hz which my AVR can’t display, but then after a moment will change to 1080p/60hz and display the splash screen, then start up into the menu system.   I can switch to the WD TV Live any time after that and it will be showing me the menu.

If I do not have the AVR set to the Media Hub BEFORE I turn the Hub on, the menu system never shows up.

So it’s a slightly different problem… although it may be related.

I should be more specific…  I was too general above.

These problems are affecting all Live products (based on the SIGMA SoC) that are using 1.03 firmware or higher.   The exact manifestation seems to be quite variable across different TV / AVR manufacturers, but there are some issues that seem to be common…

Thanks for the info…

I have the WD TV Live in addition to the Media Hub, but the Media Hub is the problem child in this case.  Bit painful to ensure everything is set up and selected perfectly before turning the power on the Hub.

Too finicky to recommend to anything but a home theatre geek at this point.   Hopefully it will be fixed in a firmware upgrade.

VancouverPete wrote:

Too finicky to recommend to anything but a home theatre geek at this point.   Hopefully it will be fixed in a firmware upgrade.

I agree 100% – and would further stipulate that anyone with these HDMI issues return the Hub, because I’m not at all convinced WD CAN fix them.  If/when they are fixed you can always buy it again.

Yes - some definite problems with the HDMI.   Even starting the unit with everything on and ready to receive gives some issues.  Soft Reboot is frequently necessary and the Resolution always bounces back to 720p.

I’m sure they’ll fix this soon as many people will be whining about it.  (I hope!)

VancouverPete wrote:

I’m sure they’ll fix this soon as many people will be whining about it.  (I hope!)

Don’t hold your breath.

VancouverPete wrote:

Yes - some definite problems with the HDMI.   Even starting the unit with everything on and ready to receive gives some issues.  Soft Reboot is frequently necessary and the Resolution always bounces back to 720p.

I assume that you do not read the Live / Live Plus forums.

I have the same problem regarding the HDMI blank screen when powering on the WD TV Live Hub.  I also have the resolution reset problem with both the WD TV Live Hub and Live WD Live TV box.  It is irritating that I have to reset both boxes every time I use them and I suggest that until these issues are solved the boxes are not “Rest of the family” ready!  :frowning:

You can fix the Live problems by downgrading the firmware – they ported the same code for the Hub over to it for the HDMI stuff (which broke it – or at least I think this is the case.  I can’t get a clear answer although I’ve asked numerous times).

Since they haven’t gotten this right in months it’s not likely they ever will.

Why so bitter, Mike?

If I was as angry as you, I would have moved on to another product by now.

I just tell the truth – I actually have no emotional feelings about it one way or the other.

I can confirm that my WD TV Live HUB with Firmware  Release 2.02.16 (10/26/10) has This HDMI Bug.

My TV is Samsung HPT4254 42-Inch Plasma HDTV. I have tried high Quality HDMI cables and some cheap’o’  ones too all exhibit HDMI Handshake issues.

It does not remember User configurable settings, it tries to re-negotiate each time TV and WD TV Live Hub talks over HDMI Interface and it always gets it wrong or defaults to 720P/60Hz 8-bit RGB Low or sometimes shows that it is using COMPOSITE when there is no cable connected to composite ports on the WDTV Live HUB.

Thanks

Yup, as I said on the other thread you started, leaving the Hub at “auto” should at least give you 1080i60 with your Sammy (it does with mine).  But it’s not a fix and it’s unlikely it will ever be fixed (and that’s not bitter talk, just reality).

I too experience the hdmi no video problem. I just cycle the power on the remote

I have the same problem too, black scree when starting the hub (latest FW). I have one pioneer plasma connected to a pioneer receiver and a second panasonic plasma directly connected to the hub. in both cases the problem is the same. When starting the hub, i have no startup screen. I allways have to  power cycle the hub. Bevore getting the hub , i am working with  the WD TV live player over 8 months. I never had this HDMI problem. i hope for new Firmare resolving this problem fast.