Portable Hardrive won't show up / I/O error

Once I plug My Passport Ultra into my usb port it won’t load up on ‘My Computer’. I’ve had it for exactly one month and its worked fine till today. When I go to my comptures devices, it shows up there just fine. I’ve tried troubleshooting any problems, but none detected. Also attempted plugging it into other computers but it is the same issue, won’t show up in ‘My Computer’ and can’t access anything on the Hardrive.

I attempted looking up my problems online, and several people have this same issue, with all kinds of hardrives. Most of the solutiones required going into ‘Computer Management’ and re-locating the Disc 1 file to a new one. But in attempt of doing that, I get an I/O error popping up and stopping me. I’ve tried all I could and all else fails. I’ve also noticed that when I listen to it, I hear quick clicks and possibly a beep noise, but then it stops and does it again. As if its trying to restart.

Everything I have on my hardrive IS expendable… But I’d rather just get it all back. There’s to much data to lose just to start over again. Thank-you.

I/O error is normally to related to a port or cable issues within the drive and the computer that you are using.

If the drive is not detected in the BIOS, or will not boot, then you may have a bad cable. Another reason could be that the drive capacity is too large for your computer. You might try changing the data cable.

Are you able to test the drive on a different computer?

The I/O error also comes from problems on th bridge board.

Joe

I tried using another cable, it still wouldn’t connect. Even when I tried it on other computers it still wouldn’t connect. When you say Data Cable, you mean the cord connecting the portable hard drive to my computer?

What can I do to check or fix the Bridge Board?

same issue for me too…

About all you can do is try and find one on Ebay. This link explains a bit about matching them up  http://community.wd.com/t5/Off-Topic-Discussions/Bridge-Boards/td-p/353839

Joe