Port forwarding question just can't seem to get direct connection

Hi All,

I have read through most of the posts and have tried every option but keep on getting relay connection.

I have an apple time capsule and have setup the WD to manual and tried 80 ansd 44 and also tired 8080 8443 and at the same time tried to set the TC to do the same for forwarding but have never managed to get a driect connection. Can anyone advice please?

also what is the recommended port rather than the default 80 and 443. On the WD what would need to be entered int he manual area and on the router what would be the outgoing and incoming.

For instance can I just use as an example 5000 and 5001, so set that up for external on teh WD and in the router the external port wud be 5000 and 5001 and internal 80 and 443?

Thanks.

Unclear what exactly you are trying to do. You mention port forwarding, direct vs. relay connection but you need to clarify, with details, what exactly are you trying to accomplish and what/how you have tried so far? Without those missing details the questions here seem a bit confusing?

I have to agree with Cybernut1, I read your post and wonder what your goal is.  More details and we may be able to help you out.

Ok, sorry ley me try to explain again, I want to turn the cloud service on, when I do turn it on it get connected showing via relay and not via direct port forwarding which I would prefer. Rouster is Apple Time Capsule.

I have set up port forwarding on it just not sure correctly.

On the WD setting for cloud I have dine manual and than put the number 80 and 443 ion and forwarded router the same way, question is why is still working via relay and not direct connection?

The access using cloud service feature REQUIRES relay service using WD’s relay server…there is no way around that. The cloud access method is best for non-technical folks who do not wish to muck with their network router’s port forwarding settings.

Port forwarding is for direct access to the device from outside the network using other access methods like FTP, FTPS, WebDAV, HTTP (using webfile viewer app of dashboard or this →   http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/Share-your-files-with-friends-using-http-links/td-p/785417  ), iSCSI, etc. If you are seeking direct access using any of these methods then you do not need cloud service using WD’s relay servers to connect but you do need to setup port forwarding (also known as opening up certain specific ports) on your router, to allow outside network traffic to arrive at your router and then be forwarded to the EX2 on a certain port number that the EX2 is setup to handle (like 80 for HTTP, 21 for FTP, etc.)

Also from your wording, it sounds like you were describing setting up port forwarding on the EX2 itself. But in fact you do not need to do anything with the port forwarding settings on the EX2, you need to setup the port forwarding on the router of the network in which the EX2 is kept (IF you were looking to access EX2 directly i.e. not using the cloud service).

Thanks, yes have not made any changes to the cloud but forwarded ports on router. Just wanted to know what’s the best way to get direct connection instead of using relay service.

effusion_01 wrote:
…Just wanted to know what’s the best way to get direct connection instead of using relay service.

My own preferred direct-connect method is FTP (or FTPS for secure encrypted FTP)…if that is what you were asking. But there is no single “best way to get direct connection” - it depends on one’s preference. FTP requires installing ftp client on the computer used to access EX2 from outside.

So if you can clarify what method of access you are looking to use amongst the direct connect options (mentioned some common direct-connect methods in 2nd paragraph of my last post), then perhaps I can tell you more about the port forwarding, etc. needed to get it to work.

Was hoping to hear back…so I’m assuming the OP is no longer interested in direct connection…or has gotten it to work.

Sorry got s little busy, well managed to get get direct conection, all I had to do was forward the 2 ports on my router which enabled direct connection istead of relay.

Glad to hear it.