Poor deinterlacing

I tried with several 576i content, but the WD TV deinterlacing capability is very poor.

The picture often flickers or half vertical resolution.

I tried to play the same content on my Toshiba TL-938G LCD TV and on a LG BP420 Bluray player and the resulting quality is fine (no jaggied edges and no flickering).

Please fix this issue.

I’ve run 480p and 360p resolution videos and I’ve never had an issue with WDTV not de-interlacing on wired or wireless network connections.   Are you sure you’re not having cabling issues (hdmi).  

also sometimes I’ve had some flickering with WDTV that is corrected by a Device Reset. Go to Setup>System>Device Restart.  do not do a Device Reset, just a Device Restart

The 480p and the 360p are progressive resolutions, not interlace.

Try the HQV benchmark dics or any 480i or 576i content, and you will see the difference…

Simply play this file, and watch the glasses…

Test video

Source:  Link

My LG BP420 player do a decent job, similar to the vector adaptive deinterlacing.

The WD TV do a very bad deinterlacing, like simple bob.

Please fix this.

What kind of file is it - AVI, VOB, MKV, M2TS.

All of my video is either 360p (Xvid or AVI) 480p (DVD-VOB/ISO and mkv), 720p (mkv), 1080i (.TS files) or 1080p (m2ts or MKV).   I’ve never seen 480i or 576i since those are probably in markets that use PAL formats.  I do have DVD VOB in PAL format and it looks fine on all my WDTVs with no problems with de-interlacing. with 360p, I’ve seen some pixelization but its a limited resolution anyway. 

Is this a file on one of your network drives, media shares or a USB. Or is this something streamed from youtube, netflix?

I tested the video that djnice posted a link to.

I played it on my WDTV Live Hub (which is set to 1080p 60hz) … and even the “Test Pattern” was flickering like crazy.

So i changed the resolution to 1080i 50hz and the flickering on the Test Pattern is now gone.

I can see a very tiny interlace on the “glasses” … but manuallly setting my WDTV resolution to 1080i 50hz

makes it bearly noticable. (note: setting HDMI to “Auto” does not eliminate the flicker)

P.S. Playing the file in VLC with deinterlacing On … i can notice the tiny interlace on the glasses, test pattern is fine.

@JRFishman

Televisions are of the following resolutions:

Standard-definition television (SDTV):
        480i ( NTSC standard uses an analog system of 486i split into two interlaced fields of 243 lines)
        576i ( PAL , 720 × 576 split into two interlaced fields of 288 lines)
    Enhanced-definition television (EDTV):
        480p (720 × 480 progressive scan)
        576p (720 × 576 progressive scan)
    High-definition television (HDTV):
        720p (1280 × 720 progressive scan)
        1080i (1920 × 1080 split into two interlaced fields of 540 lines)
        1080p (1920 × 1080 progressive scan)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

JRFishman: PAL or NTSC interlaced DVDs (concerts, etc), home made videos recorded with a camcorder (minidv etc), transport stream files recorded from a DVB platform (sattelite or terrestrial) - all SD 480i or 576i or 1080i interlaced content.

JoeySmyth: Change the output resolution to 1080i a good solution, but this time the TV do the deinterlacing job. The WD TV Live Streaming don’t change automatically the output to 1080i when playing an interlaced content.

1080i deinterlacing, it’s a joke:

link