PM4 WD (Project Mayhem for WDTV) Theme

PM4 WD - (A Non-Moviesheet “Grid UI” Modification Theme port of the Project Mayhem skin for XBMC)

This Theme is for the *NEW* WDTV Media Player and the WDTV Live SMP (Latest Firmware 2.02.32)

(WDTV Live Hub owners … the Home Menu Will Not Work on Your Device … the other views will) *

Please carefully read the Release Notes below *Download Link* below

NEW User Requested Gallery View Mod

* It’s Experimental … not all views / features completed (ie.Watched Icons etc.) , may contain bugs
* Written to work with the WDTV Live SMP and the WDTV Media Player using the Grid Interface  (Latest Firmwares)
* Home Screen uses “Linksheets” 1040x520 use *jpg or *png and remove the file extension and place into theme folder and re-zip
* Will keep tinkering around with it … time permitting

PM4 WD … DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/download/vyq22j9dqjumuhe/PM4_WD_v1.3.zip

PM4 WD GALLERY MOD … DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/download/uw9na1306knpodw/PM4_WD_v1.3_GMOD.zip

PM4_WD_v1.3

Changelog

Added : AOL.On and WD MyCloud text icons introduced in Firmware 1.02.17

Added : User Request Modified Gallery View. This version named PM4_WD_1.3_GMOD (link above)

PM4_WD_v1.2

Changelog

Fixed : “Play” button does not work when pressed on a file or folder

PM4_WD_v1.1

Changelog

Fixed : folder icons displaying on the home screen (gone now)

Fixed : info_sub too long (shortened the width and added scrolling)

Fixed : file list view (select bar wrong width)

Fixed : list view name length (to compensate for Media Server Source duration eg. 00.04.000.Minutes)

Added : dynamic weather backdrops (configure and add “Accuweather” service to home screen

Added : modification of online services screen to home screen

Added : modification of options screen for adding and deleting home screen shortcuts

Added : more online services labels english only (includes UK & US … Thanks KAD79 for the image references)

Added : active services and setup icon (bottom right of home screen… scroll up to top of list then left/right)

To Do : Lots … Video and Music playback screens next plus other views time permitting

How to install a Theme {Guide}

To install the theme, download the zip file to your PC, open your web browser (I don’t recommend using IE8 or IE9, there have been issues), then type your WDTV’s IP address to open the Web UI.

(Find your WDTV’s IP from Setup > About)

Type in your password (the default is “admin”), click on the box next to “I accept” and then click on LOGIN, then click on “Appearance”, then click on “Browse” and navigate to where you saved the “PM4_WD.zip” file, then click on “Open”.

Click on “Submit”, then once the Web UI finishes uploading the theme (which will take approx 30 secs), on you WDTV press “Setup” on your remote, select “Appearance”, then select “User Interface Themes”, select “PM4_WD” then when prompted select “Apply theme”.

18 Likes

Very nice theme. Thanks for sharing your work.:smiley:

Hi all and Joey, for some time now that I follow this forum and have installed some themes from great themers reported here. One of my favorites is yours “Alaska Light”, but this one make me “drool” its a great theme, so beautiful, clean and appealing (as we get used from you Joey). I dont own the new WDTV device, I have the “old” WDTV HUB but i liked it so much, so i decided to give it a try and installed it in the HUB. Almost everything works ok, except of course, the main menu where the default one appear (from Mochi) and some other small issues. I know this is a “WIP” so I’ll be wainting eager for new versions, and who knows, maybe a HUB version with horizontal scrolling main menu ;). Keep up the good work and thx for sharing your great work.

PS: Sorry my english, i used google tradutor, hope you understand everything.

Thanks :smiley:  yes i could do a horizontal menu + adapt other things for the Live Hub.

I still own a Live Hub as well, but had to concernstrate on one device at a time.

1 Like

Thx, this is great news, but there’s no rush, take your time to do a good job.

I gave Kudos to your work. Ty

Joey- Thanks for your efford and hard work on this theme. I know you are still working the theme but let me just pass this one thing on. I noticed that if I make a short cut to Netflix using the grid system. It shows up on your menu but the name is blank (black). The link does work the short cut it’s just not placing a name on the menu.

Thanks again

Leed12

*EDIT*   Found a solution for adding “Services” text labels … it will take a bit of time to do all of them (images > “text images” png)

Hello JoeySmyth,

thanks for the great Theme → question:

• in the home menue i have little grafik popups when i switch to Video or Music or Services… - i think the problem is that i am use the Theme for the LiveHub …right?

Regards

Gerd

apologies gerdk

i should have stated more clearly on the 1st page …  (ive updated it now to avoid confusion)

PM4 WD - (A Non-Moviesheet “Grid UI” Modification Theme port of the Project Mayhem skin for XBMC)

The Grid-UI is only available on the *New* WDTV Media Player and the WDTV Live SMP (Latest Firmware)

The WDTV Live Hub does not have a “Grid-UI”   (Live Hub only has " Mochi") 

(which is why the Home Menu mod won’t display on your device)

I will adapt the home screen for the live hub at a latter time … (which requires a total re-write of the home menu code)

*Download  Link Update at Top of Page * added 84 Online Services (English Only) that will appear in the Side Vertical Panel.

But, i need help from US and UK users (I’m AUS) to add more Services … eg. Netflix, BBCiplayer etc

Thanks to KAD79 i have all the Services now completed … Just over 100 :smileyvery-happy:

bug.jpg

Great great work,

I will try it tonight, I think I will modify some things for my own needs ( I would like to get 10 menu items in the grid menu). But I will manage to modify it without your help.

Great you found a solution for the services, great great find!

It works great, but I noticed one problem. Well, problem is the wrong choice of words, but people will start asking questions about it I guess.

The theme will only work 100% if the language of the device is English. If you have any other language, you will not get the correct images on the right site, you will get the default moochi background inside your theme.

I think it’s almost impossible to maintain a version for every language and I am sure it’s impossible to get everything in one zip file because it will be way too big.

But if you set the device to English it looks amazing. I will have a great time adjusting some things, this looks 100% like the xmbc skin.

Oh, I did notice you cannot get to the options screen from the grid view home menu. I use the key 0 on the remote for it, but perhaps it needs a message about missing the option menu option (I hope you understand me).  Or perhaps this is not a problem, but I don’t see any other way to change the theme again if you don’t have a shortcut to the options.

sounds like we’re so close to having a fully working grid theme

I can send you a zip of the internal apps later tonight

I would expect it should have everything you need

1 Like

Awesome !  thanks KAD79 :smiley:

Ive now got all Services done … just over 100  thanks again

JoeySmyth,

Excuse me for the bad Engish, I ment to say setup and not option. I didn’t know I had a setup botton on the remote! I think I need a pair of glasses, but the on/off button in the xmbc theme looks like a really nice place to put it.

I would like to clarify the translation issue I was having. You have a png file without an extension called files. This will not work on devices without the English language. I am Dutch and I have to change the file name to bestanden to get it to work. An easy fix, but I think you cannot change this with the translation file. Everything else works fine in Dutch, but you won’t see the images if you change menu options. But I can fix it and I am sure most people understand. But I can be wrong and I will look at the file you provided. Otherwise I will post a small tutorial on a Dutch forum so that everyone overhere can use your new theme the way it is supposed to look.

I really enjoy your theming work, gives me great ideas and like you I only build (mostly) for my own use. This theme is great and a lot of people are going to enjoy this. Thanks

Minor Update Download Link on Page (1) Version 1.1

Changelog:

Fixed : folder icons displaying on the home screen (they are gone now)

Fixed : info_sub on all media views too long … (shortened the width and added scrolling)

Fixed : file list view (select bar wrong width)

Fixed : list view name length (to compensate for Media Server Source duration eg. 00.04.000.Minutes)

Added : auto changing weather backdrops (configure and add “Accuweather” service to home screen) see pics*

Added : modification of online services screen (similar to home screen)

Added : modification of options screen for adding and deleting home screen shortcuts

(Note: moving and sorting shortcuts is a bit tricky … still working on it)

Added : more online services labels *english only* about 100 services. (includes UK & US … Thanks KAD79 for the image references)

Added : active services and setup icon (bottom right of home screen… scroll up to top of list then left/right)

To Do : Lots… Video and Music playback screens next, plus other views…

* auto changing Weather Home Screens (Accuweather Service)

1 Like

Nice work joey. Good to see you are still a part of this community and still putting your skills to work here. Been a while since i have been here. I see WD is still releasing the same old hardware lol Some things never change i guess. 

Im guessing the leading 0 on tv shows is still an issue?

Anyway… nice work as always. I would give this a try if i was still using a WD box.

Hello
First of all I would like to thank you for bingining us this great theme. I have a little queston. I have added new linksheets following your instructions:
Home Screen uses “Linksheets” 1040x520 use *jpg or *png and remove the file extension and place into theme folder and re-zip

But misteriously some of them appear and others dont. Any idea why? Could it be the size of the image?

Thanks a lot

Vmorales wrote:
But misteriously some of them appear and others dont. Any idea why? Could it be the size of the image?

Best to include a example … and what filesize and filetype are you using ?

But, yes, the filesize could be the reason why it’s not displaying (also the filename … did you check the spelling? eg. “m i steriously” > “m y steriously”)

Generally, it’s best to keep them approx between 100k-500k  (which is easy to do with JPG, but a bit more difficult with PNG)

Personally, i use PNG (they seem to quicker) … but i compress them with “pngquant” … i use the WinGUI PNGoo

Free download here: http://pngquant.org/PNGoo.0.1.1.zip  (extract and double click PNGoo.exe)

PngQuant Homepage: http://pngquant.org/

examples:

Uncompressed PNG  (608k)

Compressed PNG (207k)

2 Likes

Thank you Joey for always generouly sharing ideas in details.

1 star for you.