Plugging in WD Livewire Powerline

Having read glowing reviews of the WD Livewire Powerline kit, I am considering purchasing it, but I have a concern about where I can plug the adapters. It is recommended that the adapter be plugged directly into an outlet, which excludes power strips, surge protectors and extension cords. Would this also exclude multi-plug adapters that plug into the outlet to provide up to six plugs? I have only one outlet on the wall where my router is. The Verizon FIOS battery pack for my internet and a surge protector are plugged into that outlet. The router is plugged into the surge protector. The Livewire adapter would have to be plugged into a multi-plug adapter in the outlet along with the battery pack and surge protector. Would this cause a performance issue? Another brand of powerline adapter that I am returning kept dropping the connection at least once a day, and I wonder if this setup was the cause. 

Well, in general, any BASIC power-strip or line-splitter will work, as long as there is NO surge suppression / line regulation / noise filtering / etc.

I’ve plugged a LiveWire into a 100ft extension cord with only a small reduction in speed… just to see what happens.

And it my son’s bedroom, his is plugged into a 6-outlet plug strip, and LiveWire utility reports 130 Mbit/sec to his LiveWire.

The documenation is necesarilly limited because there are so many variables, exceptions and limitations, it’s easier just to say “Don’t Do It.”

I have four seperate WD live utility products . First I had two then added two more . Three are within 15 feet, one is probably about 50 feet away. Cannot connectr all of them. Have tried connecting all to private network , then all to public network , nothing works FRUSTRATED.

dalukasek wrote:

I have four seperate WD live utility products . First I had two then added two more . Three are within 15 feet, one is probably about 50 feet away. Cannot connectr all of them. Have tried connecting all to private network , then all to public network , nothing works FRUSTRATED.

• *Please draw a picture showing how all four are connected.