Plugging back in old striped set of drives?

I have a set of four drives I used to use in my PR4100 with the older OS. I’ve since upgraded and set them aside with a new set of striped media.

But now I realize I need some things off the old drives.

Is it possible to put an older set of striped drives back in and have them show up or will I have to do something special with the media or the process to get the media to show up?

Also I’m not 100% of the order I have them stacked - if I took them out left to right, or right to left. So if I put them back in in the wrong order will I have a chance to move them around to get them to mount?

Will they mount m no matter what order they are in?

Hi @David_Sutherland,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

This is an excellent question. . . . I would LOVE to know the answer to it before I stuck the drives into the system.

I believe that the system is sensative to the disk order. But I am not sure. . . . .one would think “WDStaff” should have answered that question publicly and directly.

If you get the order wrong, I would “hope” you would get a message in the dashboard asking if you want to format the drives (instead of the system “just doing it”) (afterall, you have choices in what kind of RAID setup you want). Then it’s just a matter of trial and error.

That’s a tough bet :slight_smile:

You have 24 combinations to try. . . so good luck!