Plex Media Server won't run?

Having looked through multiple forum posts, I have fixed my issue. Its linked with IPV6.

I upgraded my firmware on my EX2. Logged into my EX2, and navigated to Settings-Network. Under here, I set IPV6 to “Auto”. Rebooted my NAS, and tried configuring Plex. Gave me a different error about firewall problems. Went back to “Network” and turned off IPV6. Plex is now able to be configured again, and is working perfectly.

Ah great, I wouldn’t think an IPV6 would be an issue on this case, since not most folks would use them for a home network. Regardless of that, so happy you’ve solved your issues.

-G

Gerry, before I skip off to bed this 4K discussion went on last week, and may help you understand the stuttering issue you have w/4K right now.

Yeach @mike27oct, having similar issues too. When the ripped 4K being copied to a thumb-drive and directly inserted to the back of the TV, they’re working perfectly clear. But once, data transmitting taking place, be it hot-wired or over the air, that’s when problems starting to occur.

So any work around on this issues yet? As shared, I’ve upgraded most of the networking instruments in the house, to support the 10/100/1000 for the wired one, and also bought the latest WiFi/Router to support the air transmission too.

-G

Gerry, the work-around is with that thread. An SD card must be used to put the 4K video into the TV. Re read the thread carefully; especially toward the latter part and you will see comments like this: “The issue isn’t 4K at all but the bitrates you are attempting to use. To put 100Mbps into perspective, Netflix 4K is 15.6Mbps.”

The higher the bit rate of the data within a file, the more problematic playing the file becomes. Seems like these 4K files are like Blu-ray rips on steroids.

Here is a well-regarded link for testing bit rate capabilities of one’s setup. Interesting comments, too, about 4K have been added since I last looked at this link. http://jell.yfish.us/

True, bit-rate is such an important aspect on this 4K thing playing over the network, here’s what I’m getting from a 4K ripped movie profile:

Media

Video Resolution 4K
Duration 2:21:37
Bitrate 25572 kbps
Width 3840
Height 1600
Aspect Ratio 2.35
Container MKV
Video Frame Rate 24p
Audio Profile lc
Video Profile high
Title Original

Part

Size 25.30 GB
Audio Profile lc
Container MKV
Video Profile high

Codec H264
Bitrate 25572 kbps
Bit Depth 8
CABAC 1
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Frame Rate Mode cfr
Has Scaling Matrix 0
Height 1600
Level 5.1
Pixel Format yuv420p
Profile high
Ref Frames 4
Scan Type progressive
Width 3840
Codec AAC
Channels 7.1
Language English
Audio Channel Layout 7.1
Profile lc
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz

And compare that, with the following, profile

Media

Video Resolution 1080p
Bitrate 4034 kbps
Width 1920
Height 800
Aspect Ratio 2.35
Container MP4
Video Frame Rate 24p
Web Optimized No
Has 64bit Offsets 0
Video Profile high
Title Original

Part

Size 3.99 GB
Container MP4
Has 64bit Offsets 0
Has Chapter Text Stream 1
Web Optimized No
Video Profile high
Codec H264
Bitrate 3390 kbps
Language English
Bit Depth 8
CABAC 1
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Frame Rate Mode cfr
Has Scaling Matrix 0
Height 800
Level 4.1
Pixel Format yuv420p
Profile high
Ref Frames 5
Scan Type progressive
Stream Identifier 1
Width 1920
Codec AC3
Channels 5.1
Bitrate 640 kbps
Language English
Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
Bit Depth 16
Bitrate Mode CBR
Dialog Norm -31 dB
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
Stream Identifier 2

Where basically, container doesn’t play an important role. Rather the details of the movies does. The first one is having a tremendous issue trying to play them from a WD over the network through Plex Media Player, but surprisingly, the Samsung DLNA managed to play them, though at certain playback period, it’s starting to stutter. While for the second profile, be it playing over the network, on WD-Nas through Plex or the Samsung DLNA, everything just went great.

Let me know what you think.

-G

I have the same issue and it has only happened in the last day

Hi, mind sharing a bit on your network setup? As in my case, the router-wifi is having a double NAT (Network Address Translation) issues. That’s why it’s somewhat won’t letting a certain IP and port accessed from the network. You might want to disable the additional NAT, and let only a single NAT in the home network do its thing.

It worked in my case, though you might want to restart your router as a early and easy step.

-G

It’s ok I ended up installing plex on my PC and share network folders

Hi @dmcurrant, nice information. Though I’d like to know the performance side of it. Due, I’m installing Plex on a NAS, where relatively horse-power is limited to the NAS processor. How is it performing compare to NAS in terms of transcoding?

-G

Mate it’s twice as fast as putting it on a NAS as you are using your PC processor and ram, easier to set up as well…all I had to do was add my NAS folders that my movies and tv shows are in then run a scan

Ran into the same issue today. In my case, I found out after SSH to the NAS that there is an left over Plex pid file. So the Plex process won’t run if this pid file exists. Here is one way to solve it.

1. Enable SSH on wd mycloud ex2 ultra web UI.
  2. SSH to WD via command ssh -oHostKeyAlgorithms=+ssh-dss sshd@your_ex2_ip_address
  3. Run cd "/mnt/HD/HD_a2/plex_conf/Plex Media Server"
  4. Run rm plexmediaserver.pid
  5. Back to wd mycloud ex2 ultra web UI. Toggle the Run App. Click Configure.

This works for me.

2 Likes

I can get all the way to Run cd “/mnt/HD/HD_a2/plex_conf/” but I cant get “Plex Media Server” folder to let me enter

Try running cd Plex\ Media\ Server/

sometimes the server wont respond after installation. try removing and rebooting the NAS and then re-install the server.

root@MyCloudEX2Ultra Plex Media Server # rm -R plexmediaserver.pid
rm: can’t remove ‘plexmediaserver.pid’: No such file or directory

Its still not finding the .pid

Man, I got all the way to rm plexmediaserver.pid and the file cant be found…I felt like I was so close, yet no joy

You cant remove and install in the dashboard. It wiered. You can try to reinstall the same package you downloaded from site. It might be newer version. It will overwrite any old files to new.

Having looked through multiple forum posts, I have fixed my issue. Its linked with IPV6.

I upgraded my firmware on my EX2. Logged into my EX2, and navigated to Settings-Network. Under here, I set IPV6 to “Auto”. Rebooted my NAS, and tried configuring Plex. Gave me a different error about firewall problems. Went back to “Network” and turned off IPV6. Plex is now able to be configured again, and is working perfectly.

I was having the same issues as everyone in this thread until I tried to set the IPV6 to “Auto” within the WD MyCloud settings on my EX2 enclosure. This worked for me!! However it is working perfectly fine with IPV6 enabled on the WD MyCloud, is there any disadvantage to keeping it enabled? I know the post I am quoting from TheBroook says to disable it afterward (and is disabled by default).

Before not being able to configure Plex after re-installing the application (same problem as the OP) I was having intermittent issues with the remote access not working (being able to access Plex library outside of my home network installed on WD MC EX2 ) and having the IPV6 enabled seems to have fixed all of my problems. I am just wondering what the downfall would be to keeping it enabled, if there is any at all.