Plex Media Server update fails with a network connection error

I’m getting the Error “Failed to install app. Please check the network connection and try again.” when trying to install the update for the Plex Media Server on a My Cloud EX2 Ultra. I went to Plex Downloads and manually selected the My Cloud EX2 version to download to my local computer. I then transferred the downloaded file to the Public share on the My Cloud EX2. From the Dashboard/Apps, I stopped the Plex Media Server and then selected the option to install the app manually. I then Choose the update in the Public share. I receive a popup that it’s Updating and after a few minutes I get the above error message. I have the timeout set for 15 min on the web interface, so I know it isn’t timing out the session. I’ve attempted the update multiple times with the same result. Since I’m logged in and working on the server I know the network connection can’t be down.

Can anyone suggest a possible solution to this so I can finish the update for the latest Plex Media Server? Thanks.

that’s correct as you try to install the wrong software package. My Cloud EX2 Ultra is not My Cloud EX2.

Within the App Center of EX2 Ultra, you find the Plex Media Server available as Application.
On the Plex.tv NAS downloads, you will not find EX2 Ultra right now.

EX2 Ultra is Marvell ARMADA 385 chipset, EX2 is Marvell ARMADA 370; that’s why EX2 Plex will not work on Ultra.

1 Like

Thanks Joerg for clearing this up. What you’re saying makes perfect sense. I got thrown by the situation of after I installed the Plex Media Server from the App Center it displayed a message saying an update was available. So that’s when I then went to the Plex.tv NAS downloads and grabbed the closest I could find which was for the My Cloud EX2 assuming that must be the update it was referring to.

Sorry for inconvenience and many thanks for pointing to this; I’ll escalate this.

I was able to update the Plex server on my EX2 Ultra by using the package on the Plex website marked for the MyCloud Mirror Generation 2. With the other packages, I got the same error message as described. Hope this helps!

Yes, thx a lot!

This is the correct answer - thank you very much. I just ran into this issue myself and then I read your response.

I’m also getting the problem of failed installation with the above error, I double checked it was the correct update, while updating I can see it updating in the bottom left corner all the way to 99% then the failure message comes up.
Very frustrating, seeing all the messages over the net about the failed uploadings.

I was having this same issue just now but I have an EX4. Plex says there is an update available but the Plex website does not have an update available for EX4. Anybody know if there will be an update for it soon? I was hoping EX2 and EX4 were close enough as far as firmware operation but clearly not. Thanks!

Unfortunately, this is what is on the Plex Support Page:

Starting with Plex Media Server version 0.9.17.0, NAS devices that use the following processors or operating systems are no longer supported.
ARMv5 processors
PowerPC (PPC) processors
32-bit processors for unRAID
ReadyNAS OS 4 (ROS4) operating system

Previously-supported devices that will be affected by this are listed below (note that this list won’t necessarily list every single affected model):
yadda yadda yadda
Western Digital
ARMv5: WD My Cloud EX4
(and all other ARMv5-based models)