Please ! unlocker for Linux

Hi.

Sorry for my english.

My drive Passport Essential SE is wonderful, but I use linux on my pc and laptop. 
Please. I need to lock / unlock my passport in linux. 
Thanks.

Did you look to see if the software is compatible with Linux?

Joe

I know that the software is not compatible with linux. I am requesting that believe software for use on Linux please. Thanks.

If it’s not supported in Linux you’re on your own. You might find a third party app some place but it would probably need to be installed on each machine you use drive on.

Joe

I have just bought a “My Passport Essential” external drive. The box mentions software, but there is no clue what software it is, what operating system(s) it supports, or where to find it. There is no documentation of any kind with the product, nor is there as clue where to find it (it it exists), A half-hour perusal of the website does not relate to these questions. This “forum” (if it is possible to dignify it with that word) offers no assistance as far as I have found. In particular, posted questions have a link to the right that says “Solved”, inviting one to click on it. Doing that leads to some more postings, none of which is a solution or even answer to the question. It is truly a beautiful website, and i am sincere in  saying that. It is also the most unhelpful website/forum I have ever encountered, in thirty years of activity on the Internet and its predecessors. If I could return the product for credit, I woiuld most certanly do that, because it is little better than a doorstop.

Some postings I found seem to indicate that there is no software support for Linux. I leave to the imagination the vexed question why a programmer can code a utility for MAC and not for Linux, seeing that Mac is closely related to Linux.

Western Digital should be ashamed.

yusakhar , I’m sorry that you feel this way, I don’t understand why you spent half an hour looking into WD website for this information, I just went to the drive specification and in here it states:

Compatibility

• Formatted NTFS
  • Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
  • Mac OS®X Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard (requires reformatting)

As you can see, Linux is not mentioned, thus, indicating that is NOT supported. All this drive information is located in the drive VCD, including the WD Smartware and documentation, this pops up as soon you connect the drive to one of the supported OS. Additionally, the compatibility is also listed in the box.

I understand that you are not happy with the lack of support for Linux, but this is not a reason to blame a whole company, this drive software is not supported under Linux, simple, it is the same situation as if an application is not supported under Windows or Mac, the software was not designed, or maybe does not meet the requirements to operate under the OS.  :dizzy_face:

yusakhar wrote:

This “forum” (if it is possible to dignify it with that word) offers no assistance as far as I have found. 

• *This is not true, there are lots of users that take their time to help other users, people with a lot of knowledge and they freely give advice to others. Remember, this community was created for Users, such as yourself, to help one
      another, and to share experiences and ideas with one another. If the software is not compatible with your OS, there is not much that any of us can do.

yusakhar wrote:

I have just bought a “My Passport Essential” external drive. The box mentions software, but there is no clue what software it is, what operating system(s) it supports, or where to find it.> * * *> > > * * *

yusakhar wrote:

There is no documentation of any kind with the product, nor is there as clue where to find it (it it exists), A half-hour perusal of the website does not relate to these questions.

• *> The user manual is a PDF file inside the “User Manual” folder in the drive or VCD (Checking the content inside my drive was the first thing I did when I got it) and is also posted on the support section of the drive for public access, with or without the drive.> Google was also able to find it using “passport essential user manual”… 30 seconds vs… 30 minutes to find it…> > * * *
      yusakhar wrote:

This “forum” (if it is possible to dignify it with that word) offers no assistance as far as I have found. In particular, posted questions have a link to the right that says “Solved”, inviting one to click on it. Doing that leads to some more postings, none of which is a solution or even answer to the question.

• *> I only see that you Sir, have a single post, which is actually the one I quote, so you never asked a question… The solutions are for the other users who DID ask, and BTW, the one who marks a post as the solution is the owner of the thread. If you want a solution for your issue, then by all means open your own thread.> > * * *
      yusakhar wrote:

It is truly a beautiful website, and I am sincere in saying that. It is also the most unhelpful website/forum I have ever encountered, in thirty years of activity on the Internet and its predecessors. If I could return the product for credit, I would most certainly do that, because it is little better than a doorstop.

• *Yeah… I was also thinking that I am a King and have a Wizard who reads my mind to bring me food without asking for it.…> > * * *
      yusakhar wrote:

Some postings I found seem to indicate that there is no software support for Linux. I leave to the imagination the vexed question why a programmer can code a utility for MAC and not for Linux, seeing that Mac is closely related to Linux.

Western Digital should be ashamed.

• *> Could it be because Linux only holds a 4.8% market share (Business-wise) when compared to Windows and Macintosh, making Linux support not profitable at the moment?> Dude, next time you want to troll then please do your homework before so you can troll harder . Thank you.
1 Like