Please turn off flixster and rottent tomatoes ratings

This feature is just about useless.  You only show one set of ratings at a time, on the currently selected movie, so why are you taking space from every single title?  

And please, please when you add these new “features” please allow users to disable them.  I really do not care what the operators of these websites think about my content and I kind of resent the fact that you are shoving their opinions in my face. 

Mitchell, i agree with your opinion … which is why i did a Theme(s) to remove them. (for both Mochi & Grid)

You can find them here

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Themes/Flixster-Free-Mod/td-p/790753

it only takes a few seconds  (P.S. Uploading themes doesent void any warranties and is allowed by WD)

example: here’s how list view looks after applying my theme edit

3 Likes

JoeySmyth wrote:

Mitchell, i agree with your opinion … which is why i did a Theme(s) to remove them. (for both Mochi & Grid)

You can find them here

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Themes/Flixster-Free-Mod/td-p/790753

Thanks for sharing.

Does it solve the issue with flixter_lookup_cache files " hd infestation" ?

fabri22 wrote:Thanks for sharing.

Does it solve the issue with flixter_lookup_cache files " hd infestation" ?

Unfortunately, No … that’s built into the Firmware

I tried URL blocking in my Modem/Router but it still built the cache files (if only i knew the exact URL address)

Maybe i’ll ask KAD79 (Who develops “Custom Firmware”) if that sort of thing can be disabled or blocked ?

flixter stuff

initial thought, it’s probably not simple to turn off in the firmware

dmaosd is closed source binary that controlls osd, can’t change it

better option, export your nfs or smb share read only, so WD can read but not write

but potential other options

removed named pipes from firmware

there’s a couple of them with flixster as part of the name

or there’s also a couple with metadata in the name

but this is a guessing game, I don’t know what services are using the pipes, flixster is certainly running on one of them, but which one, and is anything else using the same pipe

besides that I’m sure Joey already looked

but is there anything in some of the theme xml’s that allow the xxxoption=disabled

sort of the opposite of active="@@act-DT_SET_BG

except it would have to be a specific flixter setting

1 Like

How is this not a privacy issue?

I don’t think I agreed to either Flixster or Rotten Tomatoes privacy policy and now they have geolocatable IP address information for all of the media watched by my devices.  If they have half a brain at those sites they have a nice set of information to market.

If there is an implicit agreement then I’d like to read it.

Can someone clarify this question for me.