Please report bugs to WD support

Could I suggest that users that have problems with their HUB and that have been confirmed on this forum report the problem to WD support. The problems with updating over WiFi, new languages rebooting the HUB, screensaver stopping audio and playlists not working all seem to have been confirmed by several users. I know it takes a bit of effort to contact WD tech. support, but if WD doesn’t know there is a problem, they can’t try to fix it. If WD support gets a lot of reports about the same problems maybe they will put some effort into fixing them.

Oh, and don’t forget to report the Golden Oldies of bugs that have been around for a while, like the FLAC files sorted in reverse order and my pet peeve - audio files not playing back in the correct sequence.

I completely agree with you and I am here to tell you that I just submitted my report. To make the process easier for others here is the link to submit. You will have to login to submit to customer support. Here is the body of my submission, feel free to simply copy and paste and edit  it if you like.

I would like to report the following bugs that have either appeared or persisted with the newest firmware revision 2.02.17.

The unit will not successfully update over WiFi, new languages reboot the HUB, the screensaver stops any audio from playing unless it is set to the WD logo, playlists do not work, FLAC files are inexplicably sorted in reverse order, and audio files do not play back in the correct sequence.

If you do happen to email support, reply to this thread and we’ll see if we can get any results.

Is´t this official WD forum?

badmem wrote:

Could I suggest that users that have problems with their HUB and that have been confirmed on this forum report the problem to WD support. The problems with updating over WiFi, new languages rebooting the HUB, screensaver stopping audio and playlists not working all seem to have been confirmed by several users. I know it takes a bit of effort to contact WD tech. support, but if WD doesn’t know there is a problem, they can’t try to fix it. If WD support gets a lot of reports about the same problems maybe they will put some effort into fixing them.

Oh, and don’t forget to report the Golden Oldies of bugs that have been around for a while, like the FLAC files sorted in reverse order and my pet peeve - audio files not playing back in the correct sequence.

Isn´t this official WD forum???

It is the official forum but it seems clear that developers or execs from WD are not reading it or they would have pulled the buggy firmware from the auto update.

By the way I have already received a response from WD regarding the email I sent to support. Here is the solution they offer:

I apologize for this inconvenience. I recommend you perform the factory reset on your unit by, either, holding in the reset button or by using the user interface.

This solution will not work as I have already tried it, so I assume it is a canned response to 90% of problems. I will attempt to update the firmware and then reset the box. I will report the results.

I did roll back to older FW

As did I, and the more I think of it the less I want to try updating it again, even for the experiment of resetting the box, which I am confident will not work. We need some more people to email WD customer support with these gripes.

crogers1975 wrote:

As did I, and the more I think of it the less I want to try updating it again, even for the experiment of resetting the box, which I am confident will not work. We need some more people to email WD customer support with these gripes.

crogers, thanks for following my suggestion about reporting bugs to WD directly, I hope others follow your example.

I’m not sure if you’ve dealt with WD support before but be prepared for a long exchange of emails or telephone calls. WD support is just going through a script, you will probably have to go through a lot more seemingly irrelevant instructions. If you go through all of the routine suggestions that WD sends you, eventually you will get to a point where everything that WD support suggests doesn’t fix the problem. Then hopefully the problem will be escalated up to the next level of tech. support and hopefully it will eventually reach an engineer that recognises that this is a bug and will try to fix it. Just be patient and do what WD suggests and report back to them, even if it does seem like a waste of time. I think this is the way all companies tech. support works. Go through a script of simple trouble-shooting first and in eighty percent of cases it may fix the problem, so you don’t have to trouble the engineers. Hopefully this will give the engineers time to fix the twenty percent of problems that are bugs. Notice all of the “hopefullys” in there :smiley:

Or if you are cynical you could say the process is made deliberately long winded, so that people give up or don’t bother to report to tech. support in the first place.  :wink: But it isn’t just WD that this applies to. And I do appreciate the work that the tech. support people do - I wouldn’t want to it for a living.

foetus wrote:

Is´t this official WD forum?

badmem wrote:

Isn´t this official WD forum???

foetus, this is an official WD USER to USER support forum. As I understand it the WD moderators do monitor  the forums, but mainly to make sure that posts are following the forum guidelines. They occasionally make announcements or give feedback. The moderators will also sometimes suggest that a user contacts WD support if they haven’t had any replies on the forum.

So this forum is good to find out if other users are having the same problems and maybe find a fix from another user. But there is no guarantee that a problem will get back to WD tech. support. That’s why I suggested reporting any confirmed bugs to WD directly.