Please Help ! WHAT IS WDC_SAM - 11/30/2017 12:00:00 AM - 1.2.0.0

Now in July 2022 - I have experienced an issue. I just installed a “WD Blue HDD 3.5 2TB WD20EZBK", in a win10 desktop pc and did a fresh Win10 Install - and I let Windows do its thing to install drivers etc. and they show up as “WD20EZBK-00AYRA0" in Device Manager. Note, I did NOT manually install any software, e.g. the “Install Western Digital Software for Windows.exe” that was found on the drive.

Well, now after like 2 weeks I just casually ran the win10 update and saw this come up - I noticed Windows Update now reports a new optional driver update - a “Western Digital Technologies - WDC_SAM - 11/30/2017 12:00:00 AM - 1.2.0.0” is listed as an optional driver update.

What is this WDC_SAM driver? What kind of functionality does it provide and will I be missing out on anything by not installing it?

Why wasn’t it installed when the drivers for “WD Blue HDD 3.5 2TB WD20EZBK" drive was installed DURING the usual Win10 initial Updates and installation process ??

All and Any Help / Advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi @AQUASTAN,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask