Please help newbie; with network settings

Can anyone please advise - what are the network settings (IP address, subnet mask,

default gateway, dns server etc) required for a ‘Wired’ ethernet connection to a Windows 7 PC?

(selecting the ‘automatic’ option doesn’t work and the manual doesn’t provide this info).

martingr wrote:

Can anyone please advise - what are the network settings (IP address, subnet mask,

default gateway, dns server etc) required for a ‘Wired’ ethernet connection to a Windows 7 PC?

(selecting the ‘automatic’ option doesn’t work and the manual doesn’t provide this info).  

That’s because it’s not a configuration most people would ever use.

Hooking it directly to a PC severely limits its capabilities anyway.

But all you need is the IP address of your PC.   Add 1 to the last number.   Use that on the WD.

The DNS and Gateway are irrelevent because your PC won’t provide those functions.

Start windows with no network activated. Windows should automatically get a default ip adress called 192.168.0.1. Now hook up the cable. Use 192.168.0.2 on the WDTV live (255.255.255.0 subnet mask, 192.168.0.1 in other fields(i guess)). that might work, provided the ethernet ports in either the PC or WDTV knows how to handle a direct connection. Otherwise you need a special crossover patch cable.

As said before, this is really not a normal way to connect things… Don’t you have any kind of network around that PC or why are you trying to do this?

No, windows uses 169.254, not 192.168.0.1…

Thanks for all the suggestions, will give this a go today.

As for the comments about the configuration, what would be the configuration that most people would use?

(the setup diagrams show it connected to a pc…but don’t provide the manual network settings!)

All we want to do is access the content (photos/music/videos) on our Windows PC & play/view through the TV.
According to the info provided with the player that is it’s main feature…

We do not want/need to access content from the internet so wouldn’t a direct connection to the pc
be the fastest and most reliable? What is a better alternative?

Thanks again for the help.

martingr wrote:?

(the setup diagrams show it connected to a pc…but don’t provide the manual network settings!).

No, they don’t.  The diagrams show it connected to a display (TV) and your wired or WiFi Internet router.

Yes, you’re right, that diagram is there - but isn’t that for an Internet connection?

Do i need a router even if i don’t need the Internet? 

Consider using a switch, preferably with gigabit ports. It will solve your problems.

martingr wrote:

Yes, you’re right, that diagram is there - but isn’t that for an Internet connection?

That, and for allowing automatic configuration of the devices (DHCP server function in every router.)

Without that, you’ll need to know how to properly address the devices.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions that are coming in…
Accepting that a router or switch is needed, can someone advise

which is preferable as i don’t fully understand the differences.

ie; are there any pros/cons to gettng a router rather than a switch…

If i wanted to go ‘Wireless’ with the media player which would be better?