PLEASE HELP: Is my drive failing? No network access to shares, User Access options greyed out via dashboard

Hi folks — really hoping someone can help me here. Concerned my WD My Cloud is failing.

Some background on the WDMC: The drive is 4 years old, uptime is basically 99% and the only trouble I’ve had in the past (since I got it) is super sluggish performance. Occasionally dropped connections, unmounting from my laptop. Drive is always churning even when it’s supposedly idle according to the Dashboard. WD insisted repeatedly this was all normal, so I gave up and accepted it. Command-line stuff is completely beyond me, and though I’ve seen many things to try, I think I’d do more harm than good trying it.

Several symptoms:

Primarily, neither my wife’s Dell laptop nor my Mack Book Pro can see or access the drives on our network. Doesn’t appear at all, shortcuts no longer work. This just happened suddenly, no warning. Never had this problem previously for the last 3 years.

I CAN access everything through a browser at wdmycloud.com — but suddenly no access to the drives across our network whatsoever.

Next, all Safepoint backups are failing. The last 3 couldn’t be written.

Finally, though I can access the Dashboard, I can’t seem to access or change user access to any of my shares. In both the Users and Shares tab of the dashboard, I can’t change anything – even though I am logged in as the admin (see screenshots).

FWIW, 30% available space (4 TB total). Is it time to just replace this thing? Use it for our small business and cannot risk losing this data!

Thank you very much in advance for your patience and your help.

This is strictly a personal opinion, but yes if your business relies on this drive, then you should have already purchased an external USB drive and have run weekly(?) backups to it. Even if there is really nothing wrong with your unit and it only needs to have your local network rebooted.

(Others will question you about how you have tried to resolved your problem, so you may want to update your Q with info about your network, routers, age of unit, uptime, lightning strikes near by, etc)

There are many, many postings here with similar themes. Use the magnifying glass at the top right of the page to search for drive fail or similar. Be sure to select only the MyCloud forum only option so you’re not looking a solutions for units that have more features.

But why worry about this any more, go get another drive, NOW!

I know money is tight for a lot of people,but if you do have a problem, then it is too late to try and find the best deal on the internet.

Good luck resolving this.

Thank you! Notifications aren;t working either, which is why I didn’t know the last 3 backups had failed. That’s no excuse, of course.

I did do some searching here but got no matches; I guess my queries weren’t using the right terminology. Will update the question per your advice as well. Again, I really appreciate the quick answer and advice.

Out the door to buy a replacement now.

I have a few minutes before I have to leave, so I found this basic set of Qs.

(“click thru” on the link above to see complete and properly formatted msg).

So see if working thru those help solve your problem. Else update your Q with your best estimate of answers for these.

Open a terminal on your Mac. Can you ping the ip address? Just type ping 192.168.1.xxx (or whatever your ip address is). and add the results of that test to the info above.

To update us on your status, do you know if you have a Gen1 or Gen2 box? Gen1 will have firmware V3 or V4, while Gen2 will have V2 firmwares (go figure).

Either version offers a diagnostics. On Gen 1, dashboard, MainPanel->Settings->Diagnostics. I’d try the short test first.

Oh yeah, did you change your router? Search for AT&T router for many discussion on problems there.

Got to go, Good luck.