Please help a NEWB

Bought a WD Live Hub a week ago, and love it.  My network found it immediately, I see the hub on all my networked tv’s.  I have Directv’s media share, and all 8 of my tv’s can see the hub (Im assuming Media Share is DLNA?), but none can play any of my ripped dvd’s.  I’ve already done a lot of digging around before making this post, and have consistently found that Directv’s Media share is not going to work as a DLNA.  That’s fine, but none of my other devices including two different Sony Bluray and an Xbox can play these movie files either.

On purpose I loaded a couple of different ripped file formats to the Live Hub.  MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and ISO, and still nothing. (A reminder, my live hub plays all these files PERFECTLY). 

So two questions.  Is there a BEST file format to try to rip DVD’s to?  And is there a DLNA device, or other solution that might fix my problem.  I may not be asking a specific enough question, but I appreciate ANY help I can get.

Ripping the DVDs to individual files is probably the best way to go.

However, your DLNA devices must support the file type you rip to.   So finding a common file type supported by all of your (10?) devices may be a challenge.

Keep in mind, though, that NONE of them will work with ISO or VIDEO_TS tree because DLNA doesn’t support DVD menuing / navigation.

When you say that, currently, none of your devices can play the ripped DVDs, what exactly does that mean?  Are they not SEEING the file, or are they giving an error message when you try to PLAY it?

First, thank you very much for your response. 

I can see ALL file names on every tv or device i’ve tried, but no device (except the hub itself) can play any format i’ve tried.  I receive error messages. 

Thank you for the information on ISO and VIDEO_TS, won’t do that anymore.  Any recommendations on file types I should try, or other ways I might skin this cat?   I’d be really excited to centralize all my media and have it available everywhere possible,  I do understand your point about so many different devices, which begs the question…are there ways to do this

other than DLNA?

You’ll have to consult the manuals for ALL of your devices to find exactly what containers / codecs / formats / etc are supported on ALL of them.   Only then will you be able to determine which way to go.