Playing playlists on Android device? Help please

I’ve created some playlists using ‘Playlist Creator’ and they work fine on the PC. However, when I try to stream the playlist to my Android tablet using WD 2go, the playlist won’t load. I can see it there in the shared music folder, but nothing happens. 

Do I need to download a different music player to my tablet - one that will handle the playlists? Or is there something else I need to be doing?

Thanks in advance

anybody???

That’s because you need an app on your android that can see the files wd2go makes available and create a playlist from them.  if you made a playlist from your pc, then the playlist will only work from your pc.  wd2go only makes the files available to your phone.  you still need an app to play them.

percyp wrote:

I’ve created some playlists using ‘Playlist Creator’ and they work fine on the PC. However, when I try to stream the playlist to my Android tablet using WD 2go, the playlist won’t load. I can see it there in the shared music folder, but nothing happens. 

Do I need to download a different music player to my tablet - one that will handle the playlists? Or is there something else I need to be doing?

Thanks in advance

Won’t work, the app makes link of individual files, but does not scan or link to shortcuts or other places within those files, making playlists unusable.

Happens with every Android app that grants remote file access, including ES File Explorer.

I’m not sure that I fully understand how to do that. From my tablet, I can’t see the network (at least I’m not aware of how to), so, how would I get an app to see what is on WD2go as that is only mirroring the files on the MyBook Live. I’m not aware of how to get an app to create a playlist from within WD2go.

As you can tell, I’m new to all this, so would really appreciate any help.

Also - can you recommend any apps?

Thanks

percyp wrote:

I’m not sure that I fully understand how to do that. From my tablet, I can’t see the network (at least I’m not aware of how to), so, how would I get an app to see what is on WD2go as that is only mirroring the files on the MyBook Live. I’m not aware of how to get an app to create a playlist from within WD2go.

As you can tell, I’m new to all this, so would really appreciate any help.

Also - can you recommend any apps?

Thanks

I think Wayne means using an app that creates playlists from files linked via WD2Go, so a playlist that is already including files in the network.

It works with regular PCs, but does not work on Android because Android will open the files you see with WD2Go using the internal app you have chosen to open those files on Android.

For example, if you have set the general Android music player to play your music then when you open a song with WD2Go, your general player will open. But if your main player is PowerAMP then PowerAMP will play the song instead. Playlists contain shortcuts to files on different locations, so unless your music player can read the playlists over remote locations then it won’t work, as the WD2go connection is encrypted for security.

And so far I don’t know of an Android music player that allows remote playlists to work.

That isn’t good news then, as I bought the MyBook Live based on the fact that it is partly advertised as being able to stream music. I know that I can still use my laptop to stream, but the website hints that the WD2go App  enhances the experience, when in fact I’ll have to play one song at a time, rather than being able to even play an album without breaks.

percyp wrote:

That isn’t good news then, as I bought the MyBook Live based on the fact that it is partly advertised as being able to stream music. I know that I can still use my laptop to stream, but the website hints that the WD2go App  enhances the experience, when in fact I’ll have to play one song at a time, rather than being able to even play an album without breaks.

it is streaming music, yet you can’t have it do what your device can’t natively do. The MBL has DLNA as well (Twonky) so you can try a DLNA app over WiFi, should do better and works for me (Xperia Mini Pro on stock Android 2.3.4). You could also look for a music player on the market that supports using a network playlist, if it is ever made.

sorry for being a bit negative - just frustration!

Can you explain more about what Twonky is/does as well as DLNA?

Edited to add: Waheeyyy… I’ve installed UPnPlay after searching for DLNA apps - and my playlists appear to be showing and playing.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) allows a device to stream and broadcast to all DLNA certified devices over WiFi, Twonky is the DLNA server included on the MBL and you access it (To configure and tweak it) by typing the IP address of your MBL followed by “:9000” on a browser, like 192.1.1.1:9000.

Not every Android device is DLNA certified, but if yours is then just download a DLNA app from the Android market and you should be able to receive a wireless broadcast from your MBL over WiFi.

1 Like

Any time :smiley: