Playing music with WD TV live hub

Hello every one, I am new here, and I am trying to convince my wife that the wd TV live hub with 1tb is a good fit for us, and it is a good opportunity to update now since our CD player is on its last days.  My TV cable dvr, my DVD player, and my TV all are hook to my home stereo, and I can play the music channels that comes with my subscription of my cable TV through my home stereo even when my TV is off, now, I have two questions.  Can I play the music store in the WD TV live hub even if the TV is off?  Also, can I plug the WD TV live hub to my home stereo and to my TV at the same time?  I have many cds that I am in the process of storing them into my external hard drive, and I like the the live hub because it will give me the chance to have my music store in two hard drives

Thank you   

canno wrote:

Hello every one, I am new here, and I am trying to convince my wife that the wd TV live hub with 1tb is a good fit for us, and it is a good opportunity to update now since our CD player is on its last days.  My TV cable dvr, my DVD player, and my TV all are hook to my home stereo, and I can play the music channels that comes with my subscription of my cable TV through my home stereo even when my TV is off, now, I have two questions.  Can I play the music store in the WD TV live hub even if the TV is off?  Also, can I plug the WD TV live hub to my home stereo and to my TV at the same time?  I have many cds that I am in the process of storing them into my external hard drive, and I like the the live hub because it will give me the chance to have my music store in two hard drives

Thank you   

In short you do need the TV switched on to pick the files you want to play. I’m not sure what type of TV and stereo you have, but you can play audio from the Hub if your stereo has an HDMI or optical input. You can also output the audio to RCA connectors I think. Normally you would connect the Hub to the TV with either HDMI or component cables. The sound will come out of the TV speakers and you will need the TV to be switched on.

If your stereo has HDMI in and out, you can connect the HDMI to the stereo and the HDMI output from the stereo to the TV. In that case the sound will usually come out of the stereo system speakers, but you will need the TV on to be able to pick the files you want the Hub to play.

If your stereo has an optical input you can connect the HDMI from the Hub to the TV and the optical output of the Hub to the stereo. You can choose if you want the Hub to send the audio to the TV via HDMI or to the stereo by the optical connection. You will still need to have your TV switched on to pick which files you want to play.

You can get apps for iOS and Android devices that will let you send files from another location to the Hub. Some of them may not need the TV switched onif you are playing audio through your stereo. I don’t think there is an app that will let you browse the Hubs internal disk from a phone or tablet, but I may be wrong.

Sorry about the long-winded answer, as you can see there are a lot of different options depending upon what sort of TV and audio system you have. Hope this has answered your question.

I think I understand what you are saying.  I do know that in order to choose what files (music) to play, I have to have the TV on, and according to your answer, and if I really understand what you are saying,  I can have the live hub connected at the same time to both the TV and the stereo.  Thank you very much badman for taking the time to answer my question.