Playing .MKV files

1.  Having a password for a PC doesn’t have to be a big deal, and really ought to be there. Jeeze, my password is my nickname.  My wife knows it, but the creep who might steal the laptop someday doesn’t and will not be able to turn it on!

2.   >>>  As for the screenshot, YES thats how I had it yesterday and all I did to get it back connecting was turn on password protecting sharing again and put the password back on the laptop.

You can have a PC password and turn OFF password protected sharing in Windows and not use a password to get into your WD network shares.

3.  As for Homegroups, turn it OFF, as I said earlier.  Somewhere in the setup instructions for the WD it says to do this.  Homegroups is a Win 7/8 “thing”;  it is non-standard and unnecessary if you have a standard network set up.  Homegroups assumes all your PCs are running Win 7/8 and never step out of that box.

Ok so if I’m understanding you correctly the one thing I overlooked was turning off the homegroup (which is a pain anyhow in my opinion)

I can turn that off, turn off password protecting and take the password off the laptop account then not have an issue connecting to the share from the media player?

Yea, I know the password on the laptop is an extra layer but there are ways around that if stolen. Which being stolen isn’t something I need to be concerned of (knock on wood). I say that then next week watch I jyks myself

OK, so if it doesn’t work after your changes, put the PW back into the PC and see how it goes.  Suggest PW of:  xxx  

Is that hard to type in or remember?  Just in case having a PW makes things work better.

No, not really as I said on the bottom of page one:

Don’t wish to have a password on the laptop but if thats the only way its a small price to pay I guess.

So, make the change again Mike and turn off the homegroup?

Yes/No?

YES, turn off Homegroup and keep it off – it has never been running on my Win PC and my (two) WDTVs work fine set up the ways I described in all these messages.

Ok, will do in the next couple a days and let you know.

Going to be bussy the next few days. Christmas is in the air and the boss said ourdoor decor is my job

Thanks

Let you know soon.

Mike I haven’t forgot you

Haven’t had the time to get back to this to try but will in the next week

Mike

Just now getting back around to this and had some time to play.

Everything you said was correct with exception to one major thing I found that needed to be done and hope this helps some others as well.

http://blog.qdigi.com/2012/02/windows-7-folder-sharing-with-no.html

I restored my image on the laptop last week and the first thing I was going to do was get the two PC’s talking without using a homegroup. That homegroup was the major reason the media player would not connect without a password.

A local security policy MUST be disabled before the computers will see each other without a password unless your using homegroups!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mxTNbCgue_Y/TzQWP-z7KnI/AAAAAAAAA4g/ntKzHWMdvdc/s1600/share.jpg

Once I disabled the local security policy, installed the software from the media player, shared the video folder and added EVERYONE to the permissions for the video folder and gave it both read and write permissions. Than, removed the password from the media player and connected to the laptop, browsed to the video folder without issues.

Bottom line, main difference is the local security policy!!! 

This is a bit confusing, because I have no problem with other PCs, mobile devices, WDs etc seeing one another. 

My main Win 7 PC, is set up how I described it before for sharing, accessing stuff, being accessed, etc.  When, I boot my Win 7, I am asked a password, I type it in, and the PC finishes booting and I am in.  THIS is the PC password I refer to.  Also, for the WD to access this same computer, (IF I am using a password to access via the WD) I need to give my name and the same password to enter my PC.  This is a hassle I do not want or need, so I tell Windows and WD to use no password to log into network shares.

I can access the Win 7 PC from anywhere in the home network. from anything that can access it, e.g. my XP laptop, my wife’s XP Pro computer and every mobile device we have.  So, I ask:  What’s the problem?  I, and most people, have none. 

When, I boot my Win 7, I am asked a password, I type it in, and the PC finishes booting and I am in.

That’s the main difference, I don’t have the PC or laptop password protected, it boots right into Windows therefore was the problem. Remember, once I password protected the laptop and put the password into the media player all was good.

Since I had time to figure out how to do it without a password the security policy was the whole problem.

You may one of the few people on the planet who does not password protect his PCs, so glad you found a work-around for this practice.  I keep mine p/w protected, but within the network, not so.

I guess you could say I’m one of the few with no kids, no one else around to require a password and keep people off my stuff, LOL.

I’m lucky

Plus, nothing important stays on the laptop and mostly eveything financial or otherwise stays on the PC.

Thanks again