Player can't see storage

The other day I tried my player to see if it could pick up my PC on the wireless network.  It worked fine - some pics I have on my PC were viewable on my SMP, after I set up the folder containing the pics to be shared.

I moved my router last night and now my PC, laptop and SMP are all hard wired to it.  I also have my HDDs (containing my videos) attached to my PC.

However, when I bring up ‘Video’ and ‘NETWORK SHARES’ * on the SMP nothing is found.  I waited a while, but still nothing.

Everything is connected properly.  Everything is working on the hard wire.  My laptop sees my SMP but my PC doesn’t and my videos on the PC don’t show up on the SMP.

Yes, I’ve right clicked the folders in the HDDs to allow sharing.

Can anyone help?  I could post under ‘issies’ but experience teaches me I’ve probably done something wrong myself.

Steve W

* Message edited.  Sorry, I put ‘Local Storage’ instead of Network Shares’.  Obviously, I meant the latter - the HDDs don’t show under ‘Network Shares’.

SW

In case anyone read that post earlier and just shook their head in disbelief, I’ve now edited it.

Still looking for help.  Many thanks.

Steve W

If you changed your PC from WIRELESS to WIRED, then your PC now has a different network profile.

Go double check all the sharing settings under “Advanced Sharing Settings” (Windows 7) for the new profile.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

If you changed your PC from WIRELESS to WIRED, then your PC now has a different network profile.

Go double check all the sharing settings under “Advanced Sharing Settings” (Windows 7) for the new profile.

Cheers - that sounds like it might be it to me.

The PC isn’t Windows 7, it’s XP.

Could/should I just re-set the player and do an Automatic set up?

Steve W

Pecker wrote:

Could/should I just re-set the player and do an Automatic set up?

That shouldn’t be necessary.  

1 Like

Cheers.  Sorry for being thick, but specifically how do I get to ‘Advanced Sharing Settings’ in Windows XP?

And having checked them, what do I do then?

Many thanks.

Steve W

For what it’s worth, I think there is something wrong with Samba access in this device.  I will be connected to my shares fine  one day and then suddenly it will say there are no available shares with no changes to my network or PCs.  Someone suggested it might be a ‘master browser’ issue but I have made sure my router is on the same workgroup with the same results (also tried it on a different workgroup).  It is just unreliable - I never have any connection problems with my PCs and can still see the WD Live on the network from the PCs when it can’t see any of the shares .  It’s a shame, because otherwise it is a very nice player but  I’m now going to have to return this in a few days before my window runs out.

cncb2: 

Have you tried THIS:  

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Troubleshooting-Windows-File-Sharing/m-p/92642#U92642

2 Likes

I see now that the PC I shutdown every night seems to be the ‘Master Browser’ so maybe that is the problem.  You say that you configured BIGNAS1 as the Master Browser.  How does one do this for a Windows 7 PC?  Thanks.

cncb2 wrote:

I see now that the PC I shutdown every night seems to be the ‘Master Browser’ so maybe that is the problem.  You say that you configured BIGNAS1 as the Master Browser.  How does one do this for a Windows 7 PC?  Thanks.

The SIMPLEST way is to make sure it’s the first computer you boot up.

Short of that, there are some registry hacks out there…

Unfortunately after playing around with this forever and making sure that my PC that is on all the time is the Master Browser I still get unexpected Samba connection problems.  Since the Internet Services on the box and Media Servers from the same PC always work fine there is something screwy with the WD Samba implementation and my network.  Dissappointing…

I got fed up with trying to access files on my PC, and I’ve hooked up 3tb MBL.  To be honest, it’s probably what I should have been doing anyway.

I suppose PCs are designed to not be accessed from the outside, whilst MBLs are.

I haven’t tested too much yet, but so far so good.  I can access the MBL from my PC, laptop and SMP.

Now I just need to wait for WD to add Media Library, scraping, etc to media on NAS.

Steve W