PiDrive w/BerryBoot no longer loads OS

Hi all,
just received my WDLab Nextcloud kit and enclosure and I assembled it with ease. Before I could make the initial connection to the device via browser I had to first determine device’s IP by session to my WiFi router. The manual instructed to connect using Ubuntu-standard.local but I could only connect with 192.168.1.35 (I determined this with my WiFi router attached devices information). Upon reaching the UI I began uploading to the ‘cloud’ drive - unattended. After several hours I returned and observed, in the UI, that some files/photos had problems with uploading. Soon after I lost all connectivity to the PiDrive. I have rebooted several times with no luck reconnecting to the device, or a user interface. My WiFi router continues to show an attached device “ubuntu-standard” with an IP address of 192.168.1.35 but refuses to connect in a browser. I can ping it but not reach a user interface ! Could this be a problem with BerryBoot, SD card, ???
Any suggestions of what to try to restore connectivity would be greatly appreciated.

tia
Tracey

Hey there Tracey :slight_smile:

Are you using Raspberry Pi 2 with the kit? Did you follow the official guide on how to use BerryBoot?
Check out these FAQs regarding Berryboot.
What other devices do you have connected to your router? How is your network configured (routers, switches, other devices, etc.)?

I’d try first powering down the whole kit and then, after starting it, check the way it is recognized in the router and try to assign it another IP as there may be a connectivity issue there.
Try reinserting the SD card and re-plugging the HDD to the device.

What OS are you using on that device?

In order to troubleshoot the HDD if it has some issues I’d recommend connecting it to a working PC and running WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic too. If the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests it should be safe to use and could be safely ruled out as the potential cause of the issue.

Let me know how that goes!

Captain_WD.

Hi Captain,
Are you using Raspberry Pi 2 with the kit?

Did you follow the official guide on how to use BerryBoot?
BerryBoot never revealed itself to me. WDLabs directions said to assemble Raspberry Pi2 to the kit, power-up, wait 10 min and open browser to ‘ubunto-standard’. I used 192.168.1.35 instead and it worked in the beginning but, only briefly.

Check out these FAQs regarding Berryboot.
I’m not understanding this much as I have not had hands on with BerryBoot it was preinstalled on the SD card and all I did was plug it into Raspberry SD slot

What other devices do you have connected to your router? How is your network configured (routers, switches, other devices, etc.)?
NetGear WiFi switch/router 10 attached devices are; 3 wired. 2 are dhcp dynamic, 1 (ubuntu-standard) is assigned 192.168.1.100 by me. 7 wireless - dhcp- all 10 are unique addresses.

I’d try first powering down the whole kit and then, after starting it, check the way it is recognized in the router and try to assign it another IP as there may be a connectivity issue there.
Tried this as per above.

Try reinserting the SD card and re-plugging the HDD to the device.
Tried this also.

What OS are you using on that device?
Desktop is Win7 Pro 64bit

In order to troubleshoot the HDD if it has some issues I’d recommend connecting it to a working PC and running WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic too. If the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests it should be safe to use and could be safely ruled out as the potential cause of the issue.
Installed and ran DLGDIAG
Quicktest=pass
Extended test=Fail. Test stopped with error(s) at 1810373375 of 1953458175

Tracey

that is a Yes! to using Raspberry Pi2

Thanks for the clear explanation. A few more questions:

• Is the Nextcloud box connected to the router via WiFi or Ethernet?
  • If it’s via WiFi, what WiFi dongle are you using?
  • Did you put Berryboot on the SD card or on the storage drive?
  • Do you have the Nextcloud box plugged into a display monitor and if so, what is shown on the monitor?
  • What device are you using to browse the box?

Mind that Ubuntu-standard.local can only be reached when you are on a Windows 10 system, earlier Windows with iTunes installed, or on a Mac or Linux box.

If the storage drive fails one of the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tests this may be an indication that the drive itself has an issue. I’d recommend contacting our live support for more information and (if the drive does have problems and is under warranty) to start a RMA procedure.

Captain_WD.

Tracey

Try connecting a display to the setup and see what pops up.

You BerryBoot should be preloaded on your SDcard. You can also download it here and checkout more information.

I will post back with more information :slight_smile:

Captain_WD.

Captain,

I tried connecting the Raspberry to a monitor and nothing is displayed – blank screen. I then pulled the SD card from Raspberry and inserted into the card reader of my desktop.

When viewing in File Explorer I find the root folder “PI_Boot” has 22 items/files, the two largest being .img files;

Other than the WDLab’s Pi-Drive fault, I wonder if I should re-image the SD card with BerryBoot and try that. OR, If I am to request a RMA – for HDD repair/replacement – should I ask return the whole Nextcloud kit (HDD, formatted SD card, Nextcloud enclosure) so WDLabs can test the system as it is marketed and sold.

Thanks

Tracey

Try the re-imaging of the SD card and see how that goes.
Contact our live support in order to get more information about the RMA procedure.

Post back with some test results after the re-imaging.

Captain_WD.

I re-imaged the SD card with BerryBoot and still cannot get to a user interface. I’ll try to get a RMA for the whole kit.

Thx

Tracey

Thank you for keeping us updated.
Let me know if you need any information or help with the RMA procedure.

The guys at live support should be able to guide you through the whole process.

Captain_WD.

Hi Captain,

There is no live support at the WD website. I have only the option to submit RMA request via a form on the support website and something is just not working there.

The form insists I enter a Model Number but, there is no place in the online form to enter this. Thus it rejects it.

Serial Number:

[[DELETED – Privacy]]

Model:

WDLB025RNN

Limited warranty expires 11/12/2018

I hope you can direct me to a person in the support dept.

Tracey

[[DELETED – Privacy]]

Hi Captain,

Did you get my previous email (attached) about a problem communicating via the web portal with WDLAbs/Nextcloud about beginning with a RMA ?

Regards

Tracey

[Deleted]

Hi again, apologies for the late reply.

Could you walk me through what you are seeing on your screen during the product registration and the RMA submission?
You should be able to register your product with its serial number, purchase date and purchase location once you log in into your account here.
Try using the serial number of the WD PiDrive.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Captain_WD.

Hi Captain,

I was able to obtain a RMA this time around. Seems the product had not yet been registered when I first gave it a try.

I’m going to assume that with the RMA return I should include the whole Nextcloud kit – enclosure, cables, SD Card (with Ubuntu preinstalled) and the 1T HDD.

Thanks for your time and expertise

Tracey

Hello Captain,

I have sent my (WDLabs - NextCloud - PiDrive-1T kit) back by RMA in Dec. 2016. There seems to be a disconnect on the WDLabs website for getting RMA status. I was able to confirm in early January that it had been delivered to WDLab’s depot repair in Louisville, KY., but, I have not heard or seen anything since, and it seems impossible to find RMA status on the WDLabs website. Toll free numbers for support, RMA, etc… lead nowhere. Any suggestions ?
Tracey