Photos In my WD EHD

Hi I am Running mac os x version 10.5.8 Leopard. I have backed up both mine and my partners mac book to the drive. This has all worked, we have different versions of iphoto on each laptop Mine is the newer version the one before the latest update. When i go into his back up, i can click on his iphoto library that is a blue folder and it opens no problem and all his phots are in sub headed folders in years i.e 2011, 2010, 2009. When i go into my back up on my laptop, my iphone library picture for the folder of you like, is the palm tree picture and when i click on it it doesn’t open, i can’t right click to open it either. It doesn’t give me any options to “open wih either”. It opens no problem on my laptop when i come out of the back up. Also the small screen that does open up when i click on it (the palm tree picture in mt back ups) twice says its 53.3 gb which would be he  right size, but as i say i just can’t get it to open from the back up. I don’t want to delete any photos from my actual library if i haven’t got them backed up. Am i just missing somthing really easy?? Can any one help.

Thank you

If you are erasing the pictures off your library after you move them to the external drive then you are killing the backup. The purpose of the “backup” is to have ALL the pictures in BOTH places in case one is to fail. You’re asking for pain if you’re erasing the pics off your computer, get anoter drive so they can both have the same data if this is what you want to do since the drive holding your data can die at any moment with no particular reason.

nattynooo wrote:

Hi I am Running mac os x version 10.5.8 Leopard. I have backed up both mine and my partners mac book to the drive. This has all worked, we have different versions of iphoto on each laptop Mine is the newer version the one before the latest update. When i go into his back up, i can click on his iphoto library that is a blue folder and it opens no problem and all his phots are in sub headed folders in years i.e 2011, 2010, 2009. When i go into my back up on my laptop, my iphone library picture for the folder of you like, is the palm tree picture and when i click on it it doesn’t open, i can’t right click to open it either. It doesn’t give me any options to “open wih either”. It opens no problem on my laptop when i come out of the back up. Also the small screen that does open up when i click on it (the palm tree picture in mt back ups) twice says its 53.3 gb which would be he  right size, but as i say i just can’t get it to open from the back up. I don’t want to delete any photos from my actual library if i haven’t got them backed up. Am i just missing somthing really easy?? Can any one help.

Thank you

Are you backing up two different Macs?  Or just one with multiple users?  Also, what drive model are you using?  Have you checked with Apple to see if there are any permission issues with moving your iPhoto folders off your computers onto an external drive?