Photo App shows all folders

I’m guessing by your reply that there is no plan to provide a fix for this “feature”.  It doesn’t seem to me that the fix in the WD Photos app should be all that difficult considering that there is no issue in the WD MyCloud app.

Dear Bill_S,

Thank you for taking the time to point me to the relevant sections in the manual. However, you have overlooked the important information on page 64 which states:-

1. You have three options for connecting to the WD My Cloud device:
     Found in Network: If the mobile device is connected by Wi-Fi to the same Local
    Area Network as the WD My Cloud device, the app is automatically activated.

So I can happily send all the devices I like to the trash can, but if they are on my local network then the user of the device can easily reinstall the app and it is automatically reactivated. I have doubts you have ever used the product.

You should try to understand the scenarios we are all describing instead of trying to defend the product’s behaviour without actually knowing how it works.

Plus, you make a quote about ‘showing off your entire photo collection’ to justify the behaviour. Go back and read the posts (and the TITLE of the this post). We are not complaining about whether we can share our photos. We can put them on a public share if we want to. What we are complaining about is that the Photo App will display the entire folder structure for every share, whether private or not.

And as the previous post says, if you have made the MyCloud app behave correctly, then it can’t be so difficult to fix the Photo app to do the same.

Phamdh wrote:

I’m guessing by your reply that there is no plan to provide a fix for this “feature”.  It doesn’t seem to me that the fix in the WD Photos app should be all that difficult considering that there is no issue in the WD MyCloud app.

There is no need to “fix” anything.  It is a personal app.  As the manual says, if you share, you share everything.  That’s why WD2go was designed - to give you the capability to specifically share what you want to share.

wardp025 wrote:

Dear Bill_S,

Thank you for taking the time to point me to the relevant sections in the manual. However, you have overlooked the important information on page 64 which states:-

1. You have three options for connecting to the WD My Cloud device:
     Found in Network: If the mobile device is connected by Wi-Fi to the same Local
    Area Network as the WD My Cloud device, the app is automatically activated.

So I can happily send all the devices I like to the trash can, but if they are on my local network then the user of the device can easily reinstall the app and it is automatically reactivated. I have doubts you have ever used the product.

You should try to understand the scenarios we are all describing instead of trying to defend the product’s behaviour without actually knowing how it works.

Plus, you make a quote about ‘showing off your entire photo collection’ to justify the behaviour. Go back and read the posts (and the TITLE of the this post). We are not complaining about whether we can share our photos. We can put them on a public share if we want to. What we are complaining about is that the Photo App will display the entire folder structure for every share, whether private or not.

And as the previous post says, if you have made the MyCloud app behave correctly, then it can’t be so difficult to fix the Photo app to do the same.

Those three ways on page 64 only work if you are given access to the photo collection.  Once you remove the other person’s device from your My Cloud dashboard, they no longer have the capability to access the drive, except unless they are on your local network and you haven’t password protected the drive.

I just tested your scenario and could not access my drive on the local wireless network.  It wouldn’t let me get any further without a password.  Maybe you’re not fully understanding how to remove devices from the My Cloud, so if you want I can have support help you.

If there was a real security issue, then we would get on it right away.  But if it’s just how you might want the app to work, then you really need to get used to using WD2go.  That app gives you the control you want.

I recently bought a My Cloud device and I’m experiencing the same problem. I find it unacceptable that this product allows for every media file to be exposed (shared) regardless of user’s selected configuration. Similar to some other user who posted before, I have the need to store work related material that should not be shared with other users in my network.

I can accept that the default behavior is as stated, but there should be a way for the administrator to stop the sharing. Restricting other users from installing the app on their devices is not a solution.

Otherwise, if this problem cannot be solved soon, I will be forced to find another product (from another vendor) to replace my device.

Dear Bill_S,

Try this:-

Delete the user’s device in the dashboard.
Remove the Photo app from the device.
Go to Google Play and install the app.
Run the app and sign in with a username and password.
Now browse through all the shares, not just your own private and public shares, but other user’s private shares.

wardp025 wrote:
Dear Bill_S,

Try this:-

Delete the user’s device in the dashboard.
Remove the Photo app from the device.
Go to Google Play and install the app.
Run the app and sign in with a username and password.
Now browse through all the shares, not just your own private and public shares, but other user’s private shares.

I’m sorry.  I don’t get what you’re trying to say.  If it’s about security, you still had to put your username and password into the app.  Change your password and don’t hand it out.

Dear Bill_S,

No one is handing out their password to anyone. Please read the following very carefully.

I’ll try to explain with a simple story. There are 3 users - admin, jack and jill. All users have passwords. There are 3 shares - Jack, Jill and Public. jack is the only user with any access to the share named Jack. Jill is the only user with access to the share named Jill.

Jack logs in from his laptop on the local network and creates a folder called Jack’s Photos on his share called Jack. He stores 10 photos there. He also creates a folder called Clients. Under Clients he creates folders with the names of his clients – John Smith, Jane Doe and Bill Bloggs. Under John Smith he creates folders called Court Case - Assault Charge, and IRS - Tax Fraud Documents.

Jill logs in from her laptop on the local network and creates a folder called Jill’s Photos on her share called Jill. She stores 20 photos there.

Jill then installs the My Photos app on her mobile phone. She chooses the local cloud device and logs in. The first time setup runs and she can now browse the cloud device. She can see the Public share and the Jill share, and she can view the 20 photos she stored there. But she can also see the share named Jack. She can see that in the folder call Jack’s Photos there are 10 photos, but she cannot see any thumbnails and cannot view the photos themselves. She can also see all the other folder names on the Jack share, such as Court Case - Assault Charge. The Photo App shows that there are 0 photos stored there. She is surprised she can see all of Jack’s folders so she tells him about it.

Jack isn’t very happy. He tells the admin user about this and to check that the access to the Jack share has been set up correctly. The admin says the access is correct, so goes looking on the WD Community forum to see if this is a known problem. He sees a post called ‘Photo App shows all folders’ and sees the advice from Bill_S. He deletes Jill’s My Photos registration using the My Cloud dashboard, as per the instructions Bill_S provided. He tells Jack the problem is fixed, that there is no security issue, and that he got this assurance first hand from a WD Community Manager, who pointed out where this is all documented.

Jill is not aware her access has been removed. She tries the My Photo app and finds that she can enter her username and password but can’t log in. Something is wrong. She deletes the app, goes back to the app store and reinstalls the app, hoping this will fix the problem. She runs the app, chooses the local cloud device and logs in successfully. The first time setup runs and she can now browse the cloud device. She’s happy she has fixed the problem just by reinstalling the app. This time she doesn’t tell Jack that she can see all his folders. But she does now know that she shouldn’t put anything of her own that is confidential in her own share called Jill, because she knows Jack will be able to browse it. So she stores her files elsewhere, defeating the whole purpose of installing the cloud device in the first place.

Jill also has a friend called Bill_S. She tells him that the WD My Cloud device is a great place to securely store all your confidential documents and photos. She asks her admin to create an account called bill_s and a share called Bill_S, with access restricted to just user bill_s. Bill_S now logs in and puts all his private files in his share. He has some interesting folder names which he would not like others to know about. But he is comfortable in the knowledge that the only person who could possibly view his share is the administrator, and he trusts him.

However, Bill_S doesn’t realise that Jill can browse all Bill_S’s folders using the My Photos app. Jill sees some interesting folder names and decides to stay away from Bill_S from now on.

Here endeth the tale.

1 Like

This “all or nothing” approach defeats the entire purpose of having private shares as the entire directory structure of private shares is visible through the WD Photos app.

WD Photos and WD My Cloud apps serve two completely different purposes.  WD Photos is an app that allows users to view “all” pictures stored on the drive.  WD My Cloud is a file manager utility that allows complete control over all files stored on the drive.

WD My Cloud is not a valid replacement of WD Photos so it doesn’t make sense to tell someone to use WD My Cloud instead.

Phamdh wrote:

This “all or nothing” approach defeats the entire purpose of having private shares as the entire directory structure of private shares is visible through the WD Photos app.

WD Photos and WD My Cloud apps serve two completely different purposes.  WD Photos is an app that allows users to view “all” pictures stored on the drive.  WD My Cloud is a file manager utility that allows complete control over all files stored on the drive.

WD My Cloud is not a valid replacement of WD Photos so it doesn’t make sense to tell someone to use WD My Cloud instead.

No one’s saying you have to replace the drive.  I’m saying that WD2go is more of what you are looking for.  It should work on all of the “Cloud” drives.

Bill_S, I did not mention anything about replacing drives.  There is no longer a WD2Go mobile app.  It has been renamed to WD MyCloud, which is what I was referring to.

I agree that this situation is wholly unacceptable, and that Bill_S’ replies are not at all helpful, and hardly likely to make WD any friends. WD Photos should be removed from the App Store until an option is added to reflect the privacy of private shares. Perhaps we should be reporting the app in view of this?

I dont understand how Bill claims its a “feature”. I am using the cloud at home and really dont want others seeing my file names through the mobile app (ie even if i have kept it in my private space). it doesnt make any sense!!!

oneabove wrote:

I dont understand how Bill claims its a “feature”. I am using the cloud at home and really dont want others seeing my file names through the mobile app (ie even if i have kept it in my private space). it doesnt make any sense!!!

I will look into this. 

It is clear that Bill_S does not understand or care for that matter care.

His suggestions about using wd2go.com as an alternative is useless since other users have the ability to choose which method (Desktop App, My Cloud App, or Photos App) they want to view files.  That means no one can prevent a user from not choosing the Photos App.

The whole reason I bought this drive is because I wanted to keep my personal files private and family pictures public.  If the WD Photos App won’t let me keep my private files private, then there is no reason for me to keep this drive.

Bill_S has repeated said that the Photos App was designed to show everything and does not seem to be doing a single thing to correct this obvious flaw.  These posts have been going on for months with no solution.

I’m just glad that I found out about this before my 15 day return policy expired.  I’m returning this first thing tomorrow.

CoolMD wrote:

It is clear that Bill_S does not understand or care for that matter care.

His suggestions about using wd2go.com as an alternative is useless since other users have the ability to choose which method (Desktop App, My Cloud App, or Photos App) they want to view files.  That means no one can prevent a user from not choosing the Photos App.

The whole reason I bought this drive is because I wanted to keep my personal files private and family pictures public.  If the WD Photos App won’t let me keep my private files private, then there is no reason for me to keep this drive.

Bill_S has repeated said that the Photos App was designed to show everything and does not seem to be doing a single thing to correct this obvious flaw.  These posts have been going on for months with no solution.

I’m just glad that I found out about this before my 15 day return policy expired.  I’m returning this first thing tomorrow.

First of all, I do understand and I do care.  However, your use case about preventing someone from arbitrarily using WD Photos to arbitrarily view files is untrue. Again, unless you have given someone access, or you haven’t password protected your drive/shares, on your network, then of course they may be able to see things.  But they can’t just download WD Photos and use it to view what’s on your drive.  You must give them permission first. 

Like I said, we are looking into the issue with folder names still being visible after a person’s permission has been removed.  But keep in mind, content is still not visible once they are removed. 

Bill_S

Your response shows that you dont fully understand.

i agree that i dont have to provide permisions to anyone to keep my files safe. The problem is that i want to provide permissions to certain individuals to have access to files i want them to see and prevent then from seeing other files. The existance of WD Photos stops me from keeping certain photos private. WD might as well not even have settings to make shares private while the Photos app exist.  Of course, this is assuming that the drive can be used for more than one purpose simultaneously (storing personal files and sharing public content).

From the responses I’ve seen from you and the lack of interest from WD to do anything about this blatent flaw, I’ve clearly made up my mind about returning the drive.  I suggest if any other user values their privacy while wanting to share certain content, they either return their drive if possible. If an individual chooses one or the other, then keep the drive.

I am extremely dissapointed in WD for this matter and hope they will do what is right soon. Until then this loyal user will pass.

It is unacceptable that WD haven’t resolved this issue yet and what a shame i see WD realted people denying the problem. Unauthorized users seeing my private folder names is a really big problem and i also think of returning the disc just because of this issue and the attitude i see here.

Since WD doesn’t really care about this issue.

the only way I could solve it is to rename my folder (or the subfolder I did not want to show up in MyPhotos) into a hidden folder.

To do this, open the WD My Cloud application, select the folder (and rename it so that it begins with a period “.” - something like .personal) or something.

It is now hidden according to Linux and that folder does not show up in MyPhotos.

This may make it a little difficult to see on some applications, but I can still see it in Windows Explorer.  It does not get scanned for DLNA content though.

Hope this helps.

BTW, this means you will not see this folder in the MyCloud application anymore.

To make it visible, you will have to go to Windows Explorer and rename it to something regular again if you want it to show up.