Photo and video sharing

Here’s my senerio - I take videos and photos and place them on a public share on Mycloud. I want to be able to send a link to family via email so they can view and/or download them for personal keeping.

How do I do that? I don’t see anything in the UI to do that? 

Am looking fopr something similar, the only thing I found was that from the folder under the my cloud desktop app i could send a link via email, the issue here is that it sends a zip file and not a url. So i winder if its possible to send a link to the web page as could not dop that myself.

Read the manual…it’s explained a bit better in there.

effusion_01 wrote:

Am looking fopr something similar, the only thing I found was that from the folder under the my cloud desktop app i could send a link via email, the issue here is that it sends a zip file and not a url. So i winder if its possible to send a link to the web page as could not dop that myself.

That’s the issue for me as well. I don’t want to send anything just a URL. Similar to OneDrive or Google Drive.

Cybernut1 wrote:
Read the manual…it’s explained a bit better in there.

Where? I don’t see it.

How has your transfer speed been with photos?

I also looked but never found any reference.

I meant the process to share is a bit better explained in the manual…not that it contains steps to share links to specific files. But you aren’t gonna find certain user-friendly features in this product that you see on OneDrive, etc.

Oh ok, yea time to go back to Synology, a lot easier to share pics as urls. It was as simple as sending a link and they could browse without any issues.

BTW, whsbuss, you’ve misunderstood the purpose of the Public folder. It’s public in the sense that all users registered on the Mirror will have access to, but it’s not open to everyone. That would be anonymous access. That’s not normally allowed except via anonymous FTP. And I think anonymous ftp might be too technical if you are looking for a very simple solution. But if you were willing to get a little technical, then you could create a share on the mirror (or use the existing Public one), throw all the files you want to share in there, turn anonymous ftp for that share on and send your friends/relatives an ftp URL that would look like: ftp:///. They can then paste that URL in their web browser and be able to come into the folder and view/download whatever pics, movies, etc. you threw in their. You will have to do two other things - 1) forward port 21 on your router to the Mirror’s IP & 2) ftp is currently broken on the Mirror (just like on EX2) but there’s a simple manual fix that requires you to SSH in and make one small edit to a file (see http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX2/FTP-Functionality/m-p/756210#M725 ). Once you’ve done these, these users of yours can come in via ftp anonymously using their browser. I personally think opening anonymous access to a server is risky but it sounds like that’s what you are looking for. You can also use at least somewhat more secure password-protected ftp…let me know if you’d be interested. The steps would be almost the same for their and your parts.

effusion_01 - Yes, I’m sure Synology may have been much easier…but Synology NASes also cost a whole lotta more. WD’s Mirror, EX2, etc. is really a poor man’s NAS with a good amount of functionality. But not every functionality you might get out of Synology out of the box. Not everyone requires the functionality to share files with anonymous users over the Net…I don’t. I did require SFTP functionality so that my very-nontechnical, Mac-using friend can come in securely to my EX2. Alas, sftp isn’t offered on WD’s prosumer NASes. So, I had to hack my EX2 to support SFTP. SFTP IS offered out of the box on Synology but is also limited…limited only to the root user. But my hack on EX2 allowed non-root users to SFTP.

So yes, WD NASes may not offer every feature that Synology offers, but it is an affordable solution for many people’s needs…but not everyone’s.

Cybernut1 wrote:
effusion_01 - Yes, I’m sure Synology may have been much easier…but Synology NASes also cost a whole lotta more. WD’s Mirror, EX2, etc. is really a poor man’s NAS with a good amount of functionality. But not every functionality you might get out of Synology out of the box. Not everyone requires the functionality to share files with anonymous users over the Net…I don’t. I did require SFTP functionality so that my very-nontechnical, Mac-using friend can come in securely to my EX2. Alas, sftp isn’t offered on WD’s prosumer NASes. So, I had to hack my EX2 to support SFTP. SFTP IS offered out of the box on Synology but is also limited…limited only to the root user. But my hack on EX2 allowed non-root users to SFTP.

So yes, WD NASes may not offer every feature that Synology offers, but it is an affordable solution for many people’s needs…but not everyone’s.

That’s true - not every device/system fits everyone’s needs. But WD loves to market “your own cloud” for their NAS which it is except for (fill in the blank). Synology has its limitations as well. But a simply way to share files/folders without having to install apps for non-users should be easy to accomplish.

whsbuss - And as I mentioned in my previous post to you (last post on previous page), there ARE ways to do so. You can also try to search for ‘web file viewer’ in the EX2 sub-forum. It’s an alternate way than what I described in my last post…but it does require you to register them on the Mirror…and just a web browser, no additional software, is required… But clearly to me I think what you’re looking for is a web server…which will let anonymous users come in using a web link and can view/download the files you put up for them. A NAS is NOT meant to be a web server, but some of the pricier brands like Synology, etc. does come with an https based file sharing mechanism…and those are definitely the perks you get from the firmware of a pricier NAS, no doubt. WD’s NASes follow the more traditional role of NAS and only offers ftp, which you CAN use to build an URL for non-users to come through with their browsers…and that meets your needs…it’s just not http…but the effect is the same as what you are looking for. If WD were to invest money in engineering one thing though, I agree that for many users it should be this. For me, good ol’ ftp does the job…esp. since I share tons of very big files (30-45 gig files).