Philips HMP2000/05 (UK)

Anyone here know how this new media player compares with the WD TV Live… available here in the UK for £58… ?

Well, from the looks of it, it looks to be just another Roku knock-off.

From the specs http://www.philips.co.uk/c/blu-ray-dvd/netflix-youtube-built-in-wi-fi-hmp2000_05/prd/?t=specifications, it seems to handle less video & audio formats.  It’s only got 1 usb port and only a HDMI out, where the WDTV Lives have 2 usb ports and analog and optical outputs as well as HDMI.  It also doesn’t have an ethernet port, so you would be solely reliant on WiFi.

It also looks like from what I could glem from glancing through the manual, 1TB is the largest drive that you can use with it , and it probably doesn’t have 2 way file sharing, not really sure about that but the manual doesnt’ really say anything about it.

1 Like

Why would you come in here to ask about some other company’s product?:confounded:

Miami_Son wrote:

Why would you come in here to ask about some other company’s product?:confounded:

Because he’s comparing it with the WDTV player.

richUK wrote:

A big “duh” there, Rich. My point is that it is unlikely anyone in here has both or is able to provide any feedback. The one reply was nothing more than a link to the specs and not a firsthand review. This is supposed to be a forum for users to discuss a WD product, not their competition. Maybe it’s just me, but it seems somewhat disrespectful to use a manufacturer-provided website to gather information on its competitors. Isn’t that what Google is for? Looking at the Philips website I see they have a similar user forum. Perhaps better to ask in there where some actual owners of this device might be found?

Well, I’m not sure were you see disrespect in posting the link to the specs.  Apparently you haven’t seen that links to other players have been done multiple times by other poster on this site, so this is not something new, nor is it something done out of disrespect.

And since this is a new player on the market, I doubt that you will find many if any that actually own this player and you don’t have to own it to be able to read the specs.  My whole point of posting the specs is to show that Phillips doesn’t even come close to the WD’s, and the comparison on it’s face is rediculous.

Miami_Son wrote:

richUK wrote:

A big “duh” there, Rich. My point is that it is unlikely anyone in here has both or is able to provide any feedback. The one reply was nothing more than a link to the specs and not a firsthand review. This is supposed to be a forum for users to discuss a WD product, not their competition. Maybe it’s just me, but it seems somewhat disrespectful to use a manufacturer-provided website to gather information on its competitors. Isn’t that what Google is for? Looking at the Philips website I see they have a similar user forum. Perhaps better to ask in there where some actual owners of this device might be found?

WD own and run the forum but its a user to user forum which mean that users decide what they want to discuss (within reason). This topic is about the relationship between a WD player and a competitor. I am sure that if WD do not like it then they will say so. You never know somebody may have this player and come to the forum to give us the low down on it, they when find that the WD player is better and buy one, good result for WD and openness. The last thing we need is some sort of narrow censorship. As Tinwarble has said the forum has often discussed other manufacturers media players without any problem or disrespect. 

Anyway from a quick look it can play a number of files but only via a connected USB drive and it cannot play files from a network. It has Netflix, Facebook, YouTube, Picasa and AccuWeather. The remote is cheap and cheerful plus the GUI is extremely poor. It has one usb port, only an HDMI output with no optical, AV output. or ethernet. So for £58 you get a standard player with some internet services and for £76 (WDTV Live Streaming)  you get more services, a better GUI, more outputs, two usb ports and the ability to link into your network plus iphone / android apps etc.

http://www.slashgear.com/philips-hmp2000-hands-on-17214054/

Tim, I saw no disrespect in your post.:wink: I was referring to the OP for starting this thread. Like I said, Philips has their own user forum. Where better to find feedback on THEIR product?

Miami_Son,

It’s really not uncommon for people to come and ask these questions.  And as long as it’s not a blatant sales tactic, we’re not going to bother much about it.  Personally, I think it’s good for us to see how we stack up with other similar products.  Nevertheless, I do appreciate your sense of fairness.  But as long as the OP stays respectful to our community, he’s more than welcome.