Petition to change the firmware to the classic WD My Cloud

YES change the firmware to WD Mycloud

2 Likes

3 Likes

I would love that. This would be enough reason for me to keep this My Cloud Home and not return it.

2 Likes

PLEASE CHANGE THE FIRMWARE, the current MCH software is horrible.

1 Like

2 Likes

YES change the firmware to WD Mycloud!!

I shot a white brick!! This is an expensive cloud subscription!
I’ll be happy to send this anchovy back if they don’t change it…

1 Like

I agree. I have so many issues with this product I don’t know where to start.

1 Like

2 Likes

Ps: Had someone noticed that a simple feature as sleep (HD spin down) is also not implemented :frowning:
I had a big discount on the 12TB version, so I will probably buy a Sinology or qnap and put the two 6TB drives into a proper NAS.
I’m a home user, but the lack of sleep was the last drop for me(it is too noisy in a small apartment during night).

2 Likes

I have several MyCloud and they are far more usable than the “new-generation” MyCloud Home devices.

Please WD, take our petition into account.

4 Likes

1 Like

Wd will lose the HOSO NAS marketing, it is a fact.

I have WD NAS and WD TV at home for more than 10 years, using the first NAS (My Book Live) some years late I get a WD EX2 (the best NAS model) and after that a My Cloud. All working perfect until now.
The problem was when a decided to buy a “new” and “improved” My Cloud Home. It looks modern and has a nice design, but it is useless for who has the older models.
So, I decided to sell my new My Cloud Home and just included a USB drive in my old WD EX2 to get extra capacity.

Why WD did this downgrade? why, why, why…

2 Likes

Received the canned response from WD to a review I posted on amazon:

“Please note that this unit is not intended to be used as a typical Network Attached Storage. This is designed for home users, and does not require much technical knowledge to setup and use.”

This is absurd. Basically Western Digital is saying “Home users and the non-technically inclined are too dumb to understand why backups of network storage are necessary, and this is the product we designed with that in mind”.

What WD fails to understand is because the Home Duo ($263 for the 4TB on Amazon as of this writing) roughly costs $46 less than the EX2 ($309 for the 4TB as of this writing) it is an attractive option to the tech savvy as well (on paper anyway). However, if it was clearly advertised as having no way to backup the device (not to usb, not to the cloud…hell you can’t even map the device as a drive without WD’s proprietary app) we would have run in the opposite direction and never considered buying this MyBook with a NIC! That this information was obscured intentionally in the marketing material, is the primary reason this forum, amazon reviews, Newegg reviews and Youtube comments have exploded railing against this product. Use deceptive marketing on one of your products and it sews questions about the rest of your product line as well.

I’m right now in the process of returning the MyCloud Home Duo unit we purchased for a home client. I would have never suggested this device had I known the extent to which WD hamstrung the device As a NAS device, this thing shouldn’t even exist; NO NAS SHOULD EVER LACK A BACKUP OPTION!

A minimal improvement would be to offer a basic way to re-enable the local web interface (it’s in there WD, we can see it!) and offer a basic cloud backup option like Elephant Drive for backup, and a USB drive Backup. Hell, even if WD made no changes other than add paid cloud backup through their own app and cloud interface…I’d accept that. The differentiation between home and business should be user accounts and permissions. Not backups. Further, WD’s response to situation has poisoned my opinion of their NAS devices across their product range.

1 Like

i successfully convinced someone in Saturn shop to buy synology instead of WD My Cloud Home :smiley: he intended to buy my cloud home but I explained him such a ■■■■ is this device and he bought a synology ds118 instead :smile: I feel proud of myself

5 Likes

How dare you convince someone to buy a far better and feature rich product like the synology DS118… than the mediocre product like wd my cloud home :rofl:

Serious wd you need to start making something of this mycloud home device from the amount of issues users are experiencing and at least respond in this forum… or just pull the plug and accept it’s a failed product line and start again :man_facepalming:

Also wd if you could make some bigger type of media storage nas but for plex only fans like me that would be fabulous… since you and plex have some form of business relationship due to offering “free” hw transcoding with your PR / Home range devices without the need for a plex pass :+1:

3 Likes

@WD_MCH seems like people have spoken. I plan on returning my 12TB, i’ve only had it running 3 hours it’s louder than my PC and requires an additional app to even become detectable in Windows10. shame you’ve fallen so far.

3 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

I had no idea this was such a downgrade. An attempt to make it “consumer friendly”, as if a white good, locked everyone else out. Why did they need to do that? Kill off a web interface and SSH. OK, a few would need it. And why was it so SLOW when plugged into 1 GB WAN and 1GB LAN? Huge deception when buying it in store. There was nothing on the box to say how limited the device was, how slow, no web interface, no SSH ability. When you looked at its firmware, is seemed too complex to do something so simple. I just wonder if it was gathering data as to our listening and film habits. Why did its the drive need to be split in 24 partitions? Anyway I have upgraded my WDHome by binning most of it, pulling out the 4TB red drive, reformatting it and connecting it to a raspberry pi. Now much faster, more flexible and useful. Never buying WD again, and that was an expensive way to buy a hardrive for my pi. Angry.

1 Like

now my cloud home nosiy to me ,but i don’t know WHAT is the CPU doing now

How pathetic,i want to cry :frowning:

I bought it, but it doesn’t belong to me

Except unplug and Keep rebooting

who can help me?
i think WD cheat me