Petition to change the firmware to the classic WD My Cloud

Hi

I have been using My Home Cloud about two weeks and I have readed all complaints of this forum.

Maybe WD could admit that change linux for android core it wasn’t the best option for this good product and release a new firmware more like the traditional My Cloud.
We could use Nextcloud and other apps with this “Pseudo NAS”

My apologies but I don’t know if I continue to use this product or throw it in the trash.

Anyway I think that wd is in time to fix the functionality of the product, it have enough ram and cpu to move other OS. (like Raspberry do).

Best Regards.

Pd: Only to make a little market research with the owners of the product:
How many of you would you want a firmware change in My Cloud Home more likely to other actual WD products?

OS3 seems a lot more agile indeed.

An option for custom firmware is needed, and I agree like the traditional My Cloud. There are couple issues for me.

1. I need the usb for import and export of the data.
  2. Network management (ip, subnet, gateway and DNS management)
  3. SSH, FTP, Samba.

A lot needs to be changed. So please allow us to install custom firmware so we can make the things by ourselfs.

I had a post a couple of weeks ago complaining on the same matter.

I don´t find the performance all that bad, but functionality wise it´s just straight garbage, a worthless piece of design.

Having such a simple interface is great for home users, but we should be able to have an advanced mode so we can at least run it like other NAS systems.

On my old by book live i didn´t find the need to use a custom firmware, it was enough for me.

With this one I simply regret buying it, as i don´t have the knowledge and patience to make it work decently.

Feel free to get the GPL package and start building…
MCH uses android, so OS3 will simply not happen unless you do it yourself.

I agree, 2 different products - 2 different uses. Only mistake WD did was market this as NAS.

MCH is designed to be a true cloud device for standard households, with security as a top priority.
Apps are lacking but I’m sure that they’re working on improvements.

OS3 works fine in a private network, but I’d not recommend to connect it to the public internet. It seems to me that OS3 development is now in maintenance mode: no new features, only a few critical security bug fixes (and GDPR :slight_smile:).

MCH will get support and updates for years to come. OS3 is nearly dead.

I do get that this is intended for home use, but it doesn´t cover the simplest of the use cases.

My use case is simple: We are in 3 users at home. All I wanted is user shares and a Public folder for all of us, with videos, movies, series, music, etc.

What I don´t get is why don´t they give us the option for “Easy” and “Advanced” modes. It is a better hardware, but a much worse interface, I just don´t get it.

I agree, and they need to remove the need of internet for using the device. Without internet the device is not usable.

was so happy with the first WD MyCloud model that I bought this model WD MyCloud Home.
She’s disappointed when I plugged her in.
Obligation to install the software WD Discovery, no NFS, no control, minimalist interface.

The first thing I wanted to do after plugging in was unplugging it and bringing it to the store.

when the disk of my WD Mycloud loses, I take the disk of WD My Cloud home to put it inside.
2 GB against 6 GB it is worth dismounting.

The worst purchase of my life, I’m ashamed!

Sorry for my english: google translation.