Petition against WD my cloud home

I created this topic to start a petition against Western Digital Mycloud Home devices.
We all have used WD devices and most of them are capable, precious and useful.
BUT, MYCLOUD HOME SERIES ARE USELESS, CRAPPY AND WAY OUT OF CLIENT’S EXPECTATIONS.
SO WE ALL WD MYCLOUD HOME OWNERS ASK AND URGE AND OBLIGATE WESTERN DIGITAL COMPANY TO SOLVE PROBLEMS OF THIS DEVICE AND COVER ALL EXPECTATIONS OF USERS ASAP.
NOT NEEDED TO SAY THAT IF WD TEAM IGNORES US, WE WILL DO ALL OUR BEST TO CONVINCE OTHERS STOP BUYING WD DEVICES.

7 Likes

I don’t think WD will care.

if all users support this petition, WD has no choice, but care

Can’t you install clean Debian on the unit?

No, I didn’t install it and I won’t. It’s WD’s business, not mine! I bought a device and it should work properly. I shouldn’t put myself in trouble to make it work!

2 Likes

WD doesn’t care. Product is old enough and all these options already exist on EX, MyCloud etc series.

It’s impossible to upgrade the OS with all these options now on the current OS.

Custom OS (clean debian) or Entware solution is the only way I think.

Very VERY misleading marketing tactics on this product.

2 Likes

I previously had purchased and owned an original MyCloud unit, and my experience with it was positive. I cannot say that for the My Cloud Home unit. It is overly restricted, I can only assume in response to the security vulnerabilities that were exploited and broadcasted through the media and internet about the MyCloud unit.

https://0day.today/exploits/31127

The MyCloud Home will never have the freedom of user customability, nor should anyone expect such from a WD product going forward. One cannot even direct connect to a MyCloud Home unit independent of internet service, which essentially renders the unit completely useless to the consumer.

In retrospect, I would opt out of purchasing a MyCloud Home by WD if knowing then, what I am very aware of now regarding how crippled the unit has turned out to be by WD and their knowledge of such combined with the intentional marketing of their highly limited and user restrictive engineering of the WD MyCloud Home product for capital gain.

And, I am Anonymous because I choose to be, just in case that would be considered a point of scrutiny.

A.

WD should make the my cloud home more open source they can still make money with it.I want to acces my WD my cloud home in the LAN i payed 135 euros for it thats much.

1 Like