Personal MyCloud and PR2100 on same network causing issues

I have had my personal MyCloud for a couple years now and have had really no issues with it. It was the 6TB model and I was running out of space so I went with the 16TB (Raid0) PR2100.

I connected my PR2100 to my netgear gigabit switch today and got it setup. Well I started copying data from my personal to the PR2100 and less than an hour in the transfer would stop. The network drive was disconnected, could not access it from the webui and did not see it on my attached devices on my router. I tried to ping it as well with no response. The light was solid blue on front of device and I tried to disconnect/reconnect the network cable and would not reconnect. I finally had to unplug the power and plug it back in. When getting the personal MyCloud back up the webui was very slow. I went in and disabled dlna, mycloud online and tried switching back and forth from static to dhcp but everything i started to transfer to new PR2100 it would disconnect within an hour. So I then tried to update firmware but same issue.

I then powered off my PR2100 and started copying all my files from the personal MyCloud to my local pc and I now have no issue with disconnecting. I am transferring at 100MB/s over my gigabit network. Should this be happening? I really hate to have to transfer 5TB’s to my PC then back to my new PR2100 but can’t find a way around it.

And as i type this it disconnected again without the PR2100 connected. This time i kept the webui open and I am still able to navigate it but the network drive is not working on my windows pc. I really need to get this data transferred to my new PR2100. what can I do?

Do both have different static IP addresses? , this can sometimes happen if they are allocated the same IP address when an IP refresh occurs.

Yes. Both have different IP addresses

Also ensure both NAS units have unique names and both are configured to use the same Workgroup. And make sure to have both units connected to the same gigabit router/switch.

How are you transferring the data from one My Cloud to another? Using Windows File/Explorer or Mac Finder? Using Rsync? Using Backup/Safepoint within the My Cloud Dashboard?

Both do have unique names, on same workgroup and connected to same switch.

I am using windows 10 as mapped network drives.

Windows explorer via mapped network drive for each my cloud device.

At the end of my initial post I said the personal my cloud device disconnected again when transferring with the PR2100 disconnected. However after that I have been copying to my USB and local drive via my pc and copied all night and still copying right now. I only have about 1TB to go but I’m running out of USB drive storage. So I think I’m going to have to boot up the PR2100 and move everything off my USB drive then move the rest from the old my cloud drive.

At this point im scared to run both on the network again. I felt I was about to lose all my data off my old my cloud and trying to get everything I can off of it just in case. I can’t understand why it’s acting that way with both attached to network. I couldn’t find any topics with others having the issue.

One other question. When i copy to the PR2100 which is faster? Through PC or directly to PR2100? Its a USB 3.0 drive.

I did disable cloud access right at the end of testing. After i get the last files transferred I will try again with both devices connected.

Can I transfer from the my cloud ui or do I still have to use a pc to transfer from the usb 3.0 drive to the PR2100? with the usb drive directly connected to the PR2100 that is.

If you know Linux commands it is faster to go from the USB to the PR2100 using cp

rac8006, Using ssh?

SSH is where you login to the My Cloud or the PR2100 if it supports SSH. Using a couple of Linux commands you could use the cp command to copy files from the USB to the PR2100.
The DF command shows you the mounted devices. The mkdir command will create a folder. The cd command allows you to move between folders. The cp -R will copy all files from the source to the destination including sub directories.

thanks for the help on this.

I started copying and it seems very slow. I can see the file in windows explorer updating size as it copies and it’s transferring a 100,000KB a minute. So that is 100MB a minute. Im getting 80MB/s + on my gigabit pc. Does this seem right to you?

I stopped the ssh transfer and tried creating a backup job to copy everything from the USB 3.0 drive that is connected to PR2100. The speed is better but i just tested and im getting 100MB/s from my gigabit pc. I guess that is what i need to do?

Is this USB to PR2100? Seems slow to me. But I have no experience with the timing. You might
check to see if there is a process called wdmcserver running. This process along with the wdphotodbmerger
process like to scan for changes to update its database. You could stop these two processes and check the timing.

When you copy using the PC is the 100MB/s speed for files from the MyCloud to the PC or the other way?

It was 100MB/s from my laptop on gigabit ethernet. But that was from my local m.2 ssd. ejected the usb 3.0 from the PR2100 and connected it to my laptop and using network share in windows im copying my files over TO my PR2100 at 95 MB/s.

On the basic MyCloud (the subject of this particular forum), i find the USB to be pitifully slow. The user manual recommends connecting a USB HDD to a PC, rather than the MyCloud, if transferring lots of data.