Permissions Ownership Problem

This is a strange problem that I don’t understand so I hope someone can help me out. It is not clear to me if this is a Windows 7, Linux or WD issue but since the WD is the common element I’ll start here. I have 2 videos stored on my NAS which were downloaded on my Linux system to the NAS. The video format was changed (to mpg) using an application on Windows 7. After the conversion, the permissions and owner when viewed from Linux are identical. Although I don’t know why it is root:users rather then the credentials used for the mount. Anyway that does not seem to be the problem. The problem is that one video works fine on my DVD player while the other does not show up at all. It is my guess that this is an ownership/permissions issue. The only difference I can find between the 2 is when I look at the security tab from Windows 7.

The working file has these entries:

Everyone - Read
nobody (Unix User\nobody) - Read, Write
share (Unix Group\share) - Read, Write

The non-working file has these entries:

Everyone - Read
share (Unix Group\share) - Read, Write
dap (DAP003\dap)

The last entry is the user with which the share is mounted on both Windows and Linux. That entry makes sense to me but it is not what I see on the Linux side. I have very loose access settings on the NAS (essential everyone has R/W) since this is on a private LAN. What I also don’t understand is the working file entry of ‘nobody’ that Windows seems to recognize but I cannot add ‘nobody’ to the non-working file since Windows does not recognize it as a user or group.

I am at a loss as to how to troubleshoot this and need someone to point me in the right direction. TIA.

What method do you use to mount in in Linux? SMB or NFS? If the latter, you’ll be fighting credential mismatches forever… NFS allows the CLIENT to specify the UID/GID for the file. SMB is controlled by the Samba server itself.

I never do mixed-protocol mounts. If one system requires SMB, all systems will use SMB mounts.

Thanks for the reply. I use ‘cifs’ as that is the SMB protocol on Linux.