PC can't detect WD MyBook Premium Edition II

I don’t know what is going wrong with my drive. I tried on all 4 computers (windows xp & windows 7) and I can’t see the drive on My Computer. I tried resetting the drive and unplugging and plugging the drive back in, but it still doesn’t work. I tried switching USB ports all over the place. Disk management also doesn’t recognize the drive. Once in a while, windows 7 asks whether to fix this drive (I forgot the exact error message) and I did press yes for the option and this never happened again. Please suggest me what to do? I don’t want to lose the date in the disk

What drive are you use please state the model.

MyBook Premium Edition II 1 TB

Added some more info in the 1st post

Why did you move this post? It’s a MyBook type

The post was probably moved to because it was probably in the wrong section.

Dont worry its for the better. As for the drive. make sure its connected into a wall outlet and not a power strip.

that drive is not compatible with win 7 so I would recommend connecting it at all to that OS

try download and use The Data Lifeguard Diagnostics to see if the drive has errors heres the link let me know how that turns out

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=105&lang=en

Funny thing is that it is working again now… I just leave it off and let it cool for 1 hour and do as what you said to plug it directly to the wall and I use windows xp… so if I want a drive for windows 7 I need to buy a new one?

I can’t even run the test using the software you mention, it says too many bad sectors… so does this mean it’s time to throw away the drive?

Read this write-up and use the tools I have mentioned there. You can recover your drive from bad sectors with them. Follow this link…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/How-to-eliminate-potential-problems-on-USB-Powered-Drives-and/td-p/118262

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue. …

Now I was able to open the drive and folders inside it, however when I tried to open the file it says that the file has been deleted or removed… I am confused…

I’ve also tried to use the HDD Regenerator 2011 program to repair the bad sectors, however when it tried to scan and repair it always says that the drive is always in use… I lfet the drive for a whole 3 hours and it still says that it it in use… HDD Regenerator 2011 also crashes several times when used for this drive. 

I think I understand your problem. You may have used this external drive to backup almost all the PC’s you have in your possession. I may be wrong on this assumption. But if you can utilize a PC which has no previous relationship with your external would help to recover this drive. If you can borrow a laptop with XP/Win7, for a day or two, would aid you in this manner.

“When I tried to open the file it says that the file has been deleted or removed…” this is one of the definite symptoms of having bad (logical/physical) sectors in your drive.

Most of the phantom bad sectors are correctable using HDD Regenerator 2011.

Crashing HDD Regenerator 2011 is an indication of damaged application file. You may have downloaded the utility with a cracked file in a zip container.

As a remedy for this issue, download the legit trial app from original site and setup the utility. Once completed, follow this text in the crack folder and copy HDD Regenerator 2011.exe in to installed folder and over write. Application will not crash.

Lastly, if the app work for you and were able to recover the external, buy the legit copy from original developer so he would be able to make more useful apps like this.

Good Luck,

Mabikay - SLK

Does the trial version corrects all bad sector of the disk? As it says that it only corrects 1 bad sector

I think I am going to give up using that HDD Regenerator… It goes up to 1% and then it says that the drive is in use all the time. Please give me some other suggestion… I can’t really access the drive… the behavior is so random… sometimes it is detected but the drive has nothing in it… sometimes the folders can be seen in the drive but the files aren’t there when trying to access… the blue circle on the front panel of the hard drive keeps rotating/flashing…

I hope you have no drive security enabled. If not, go ahead and uninstall Smartware. You can always download and  install Smartware form WD. Disable and antiviru as well. Both of these software keep on communicating with the drive. Better use different PC if you can.  HDD Regen can surely fix your drive unless you have a hardware damage.

About fixing one bad secter = Use your intelligence. I can’t disscuss/advice publically regarding pirxxx software stuff. Read my previous post carefully. You may get a hint out it…:wink:

Mabikay - SLK

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue. …

I heard that removing smartware is dangerous and might wipe out the whole data

If you remove the Smartware make sure you remove your password first.

Joe

Would you give me instructions on how to do this?

The way you remove the  password is simple

Load smartware

goto setting 

choose set up drive

choose security

enter your password then save security settings

fill in the choice remove security then update security settings

once youve updated security setting close the program other wise you will go into a circle

to remove the program follow instructions on the link below 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=_cjexvkk&p_lva=&p_li=&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_page=1&p_cv=&p_pv=&p_prods=0&p_cats=0&p_hidden_prods=&prod_lvl1=0&cat_lvl1=0&p_search_text=5373&srch_btn_submit=%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0Search%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=answers.search_fnl

FYI I don’t have smartware installed on any of my PC’s

Hi,

It is really confusing…

Why you said “I heard that removing smartware is dangerous and might wipe out the whole data” in the first place?

Are you referring to WD software preinstalled in your external drive? If this is the case you have to disable Virtual CD functionality from your drive.

Since your drive has corrupted file system, you may not able successfully remove VCD.

Remedy: Connect the drive to Windows 7 PC. Then disable the auto play feature on your system.

Control panel/Auto play and uncheck tick mark on ‘Use Auto Play on all media and devices’ and reboot.

Now try recovering your drive using the method I have described previously.

Note: Temporary uninstall/disable any Antivirus software that may be accessing your drive in the background. Stop all backup programs.

Good Luck

Mabikay – SLK

I disabled auto play and still it does the same thing

If HDD Regenerator cannot run in Windows mode try using Bootable CD/USB drive option.

If that option fails you should claim for a replacement if it is under warranty. (Your drive may be suffering from hardware fault)

Similar issue is discussed here…

http://forum.hddguru.com/disk-management-says-status-unreadable-file-system-unknow-t17175.html

Mabikay – SLK

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue. …

When I plug this drive into my Windows 7 machine it asks for a disk repair and so  I said yes, however it’s always stuck at this point:

Why is this?? I am starting to run out of ideas… I am pretty sure that the data is still there

I know that the drive is still spinning, windows is still able to detect it… but why is it like this?