Password Protection for My passport essential?

Hi

I wanted to somehow password-protect my wd hdd in case of theft.

It did not come with smartware so I cannot use that.

What software can I use? I just need some form of password protection or encrpytion (what is the difference?) so that I can easily move my hdd around but simply have to enter a password to access the contents of the drive on any computer/playstation etc.

Any ideas ???

Thx

R-P-H wrote:

I wanted to somehow password-protect my wd hdd in case of theft.

It did not come with smartware so I cannot use that.

Sure it did.

Even the original Passports, that are now legacy devices, had encryption.

And both the Passport Essential and the Passport Essential SE ship with SmartWare (unless you buy the SE version that has encryption disabled – but it makes no sense to choose the disabled version, and then ask how to encrypt it :wink:)

Wait I bought an older my passport essential about 2 years ago. It only came with WDsync.

So how can I put smartware on my hdd to encrypt it ???

Thx

R-P-H, if your External Hard Disk Drive came with WD Sync then it is not compatible with WD SmartWare. However, WD Sync is able to accomplish file encryption (But not Drive encryption) that is applied upon creating your profile, as explained in the following article:

Answer ID 1434: How to set up WD Sync on a Passport drive to synchronize data. 

On the other hand, there are several applications available designed to encrypt any Hard Disk Drive; TrueCrypt is free and very popular.

Regards,

Hi

Yes I am awre of TrueCyrpt; however I am looking for something that enables me to do the following:

Simply place a password on the drive (or the 3 main folders that I have on the drive) so that when I move my hdd to various computers and my PS3 system that I also use; all I have to do is input one password and then all my files will be unlocked and free to view/copy.

As you can see ^ Truecyrpt won’t be able to help me with this as it requires mounting the disc etc on the program itself which won’t even be on other computers I use.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks…