Passport originally used for Windows wont let me drag files onto the Passport from my new Mac

My Passport originally used for Windows wont let me drag files onto the Passport from my new Mac. This is very frustrating someone PLEASE HELP. I dont know but if its a case to where the Passport has to be reformated walk me through how i go about doing that and saving all my files that are already on there as well…

It’s probably formatted NTFS now. Read this http://community.wdc.com/t5/External-Drives-for-Mac/WD-drive-as-a-back-up-for-Windows-7-and-MAC-OS-locked-files/m-p/84753#M1830 You can reformat FAT32 which has a max file size of 4 gig or try the software mentioned in post.

i went to the link. which option in your opinion would be my best bet ?

If you want to save video files the FAT32 may be a problem with 4 gig size. Since you already have data the second option Install NTFS-3G might be better. I don’t know about Macs. If you decide to reformat you will have to move all data you want to save or it will be erased. It’s also not a good idea to have data stored on only one physical drive.

So you’re saying that if I reformat to FAT32. My 500 gig passport will only hold 4 gigs ?? With the other option I just download the program from the apple site. And I can start adding to or deleting from my passport ?

No in FAT 32 the biggest file it will handle is 4 gig. So if you have a video or backup file over 4 gig it won’t write it. The other option is just download the software fron Apple and install and you should be OK with both systems.

1 Like

i installed the program from the apple site and its not working. for example i tried to drag a folder into another and it wasnt allowing it. have any ideas whats up with that ?

Did you leave the drive as it was or did you reformat? Is it showing any message? You may have to go into permissions in Windows Sharing and allow it permission. I don’t know about Macs.

Joe