Passport Essentials SE question

Hello and good day/evening to the W/D community; I’m having some difficulties understanding my Essential SE 1 TB external hard drive (USB 2.0) software. Here’s my issue: Every thing seems to work fine up to when the Essential h/d does additional updates of the file system on my machine. I have two hard drives in this machine entitled C:/ and E:/…the E:/ drive is where I keep all my data files (word, excel, pictures, video clips, etc.) and when I connect the Essentials H/D to update the latest saved data files from my machine, it never seems to finish out. After the transfer has been completed (and each column has changed from yellow to blue), I’m supposed to see a check mark in the upper left corner of the screen along with the amount of, and number of files that were transferred; and there are supposed to be check marks under each of the hard drive and Essential drive columns too…at least that what is says in the instructions…my Essential never reaches this state…it just informs me that a “partial backup accomplished”…is there something I’m doing wrong here? Is anyone else having this issue? Are there settings that need to be switched somewhere? Thank you for your time and patience in this matter and everyone who reads this thread, please have a nice day. KennyD1958

It looks like there’s a minor amount of files that were not backed up. Windows will not let two programs access a file at the same time, therefore if Smartware try’s to backup an Email while you have Outlook open it won’t happen.

Make sure all applications that contain your files are closed at the time of backup. On the other hand, if you want to make sure all of the drives are backed up,  you can change the drive that Smartware is backing up by clicking on the drop down on the home tab. 

If the above steps do not fix the issue , I’ll strongly suggest a Firmware and Software update. Make sure to follow all of the precautions provided on the update page. 

Hope this helps.

Well belive it or not, I’ve already updated the soft and firmware AND the last update I tried this morning ran without anything else running (except W/D SmartWare of course) in the background. Everything else was closed (except the things in my task window)…(Norton Security, Realtec HD Audio Manager, Adobe Version Cue, Logitec Camera Control, Volume Control, TomTom Home, USB Card Reader).  Could one of these programs be causing the problem?  And too, there are only a few of those programs that I can close out of completly from the task window.  Should I try to close any of these programs when I run another back-up?  Anther thing, I noticed that there are version abilities in “File History”, if I have this set at more then one, could that be the reason for it’s incompletion of task and leaves it open for more files to be transferred?  Any thoghts you may have will be helpful and thank you again for your time and patience in this issue!!!

KennyD1958 wrote:

Should I try to close any of these programs when I run another back-up?  Anther thing, I noticed that there are version abilities in “File History”, if I have this set at more then one, could that be the reason for it’s incompletion of task and leaves it open for more files to be transferred?  Any thoghts you may have will be helpful and thank you again for your time and patience in this issue!!!

You will only need to close the one’s that access files, Norton might affected , however the Logitec, Usb card reader and other applications you mention should not. 

About file history, this is to keep several versions of the same file for backup, in other words, instead of backing up just one copy it will backup once you change that same file , that way you can go back to the original file you created, you have an option to keep up to five changes.

Thank you once again Wizer, for the help and advice you’ve provided.  While the advice seemed not to work (for what ever reason), it did give me a reference as to where, and possibly what I’m searching for, is…and if you happen to have any W/D friends with this model of My Passport, please ask them if they are also experiencing any issues!!!

Thanks again for all you have tried to help Me with, be well and if you have any other advice…just leave me a message amd I’ll get it as soon as I come back on the community chat/information bulletinboard.

Have a phenominal day!!!

Ken D.