Passport Backup S/W wont run

WDBYVG0010BBK USB 3.0 (USB 2.0) 1TB Windows® Black

Worked OK until today. Running windows PC. When I doubleclick on back up icon nothing happens. tried uninstalling & re intalling still not working. Everything works on another PC. What can I do?

Mike…I have the same 1TB Passport and am running the Backup. I had some issues about Schedules not running…but that is off subject.

Mike…you still having trouble double clicking the Desktop WD Backup icon?

• how about a single click on the WD Backup icon in the Hidden Folder tray by the clock. There is a Discovery, Backup and of course the Safe Eject.
  • I have 2 Scheduled, from one PC to 2 Passports all done from one icon.

Hi, I have the same software and the same problem. I am running the same version of the software, and other icons work. Is there a specific cause to this problem? I bought the drive in 2016, and warranty is over. Could that be the issue?
Otherwise, is there a way to fix this problem?
Thank you

danie…so you need to expand your issue…we never heard back from @MikeUK61 either.

• when you double click the WD Backup App, what happens…nothing…error…does it open, or is it a blank with no pointer to your Passport drive?
  • can you see the drive in Explorer, can you see the drive and open folder/files?
  • can you rt mouse and click Open or properties to see location of executable?
  • your Backup could be really old, back to 2016…you implied the same version 1.9.7375 that I’m using is 2020.

Hi, thanks for helping.

When I double click on the WD App icon, it seems to try to open the software (the hourglass appears for half a second) then back to nothing. If I right click on the icon, I can ask to go to the file location and it goes straight to C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital\WD App Manager and this is what I see in the properties : “C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital\WD App Manager\WDAppManager.exe” -launchbackupdefault. I can see the drive and open the folders. I right clicked on the App Manager Launcher and went to Details under Properties. Gives the version number as 1.6.6060.18987.
Looking into the files on the external drive itself, if I right click on WD Backup.exe and look in the properties under Details, I see that the version of the software on the external drive is also that number.
Is it that this 2016 version is too old? Is it possible to download the more recent version?

Thank you.

danie…first I want to say that what I have on my PC, may not be exactly the latest nor is it like what yours should look like…I’m showing my WD Backup, that so far, Works even if I still have some issues with Backup…another story. I’m on a win10.

• In my control panel under uninstall program for the WD apps.

• The WD App Manager Launcher shows:

• The WD App Manager shows:

Now if you see 1.6.6060…that could be a little old

• question, Have you been getting successful backups recently or was the Last time you tried back in 2016 and never since?

@skiman1818 wrote here about a newer Backup software, but with a statement that he felt there was a problem…So, he backed off to a previous version…the one I’m currently using…

One Warning, I was told by WD Support that if you Uninstall the App, you will loose ALL the configuration info for time and file/folders. However, if you Update, it should retain this config info. I don’t know when skiman down loaded the previous Exe to install, if it truly required him to reset his configurations…what say you skiman1818? There is a Update under WD Discovery but his caution.

Hi, my last backup was in April of 2020, and worked just fine. If my version of the software is too old, do I need to update it? How? I am just afraid of doing the wrong thing and ending up worse than I started.

Thanks

danie…doing a apr/2020 backup that work that now does not is a little strange…however if that is true…I’m not exactly sure what you can do. In my above answer that @skiman1818 posted, there was info about a new version that he had trouble with…and a previous version that he downloaded.

• since you can actually view your drive (only Backup not working), you could extract selected data using Explorer to copy/paste…or at least manually copy the important files to another location.
  • as I also stated, WD Support said that if you download the software, it may require you to reset your configuration files for that backup. You may want to review your file/folder and print out the Tree structure that you are choosing for Backup…in-case you need to input this info in the next backup.
  • also, you can contact WD Support at: https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask
    you may need a login account and the Serial # of you drive…I got asked that in email. OR, you could call directly and talk with WD support…when I did that, they wanted to first register the drive.
  • I have never downloaded a newer version or updated Backup App (as a notice appears under the WD Discovery), so I’m only guessing at the ramifications…till it happens to me, I cannot explicitly tell you what to do…
  • I’m sad to see that @MikeUK61, the original poster, has not had any replies to this thread…as to what he did to pursue this issue…