Hi,

this is what I’ve done (yes I know I’m stupid):

• had a working MBWE

• disk space was 500Gb but only showing as free the half

• disconnected the disk and put it in a WIndows PC

• erased all the existing partitions and made a fast format

• tried to put the disk again in the MBWE thinking it had a ROM

• discovered it has not a ROM

Now I have a single 500Gb NTFS partition disk and would like to recover the old partitions USING A WINDOWS SOFTWARE because I don’t know Linux language. I dont’ need to recover the datas, just the partiotions to let the MBWE work again. Tried with testdisk but no way to undestand how to correctly use it.

Any suggestion for a software running under Windows who is able to recover the old partiotions on the disk?

Thank you so much!

Hi there!!

You can use MiniTool Partition Wizard to partition the drive as EXT3, which is the original format of that drive and see if it helps!!

Hi and thank you.

I’ve tried this software and all seemed to be ok (VIZ I was able to rescue the old partition), but when inserting newly the disk inside the MBWE no results: no flashing blue lights or other. The disk is rotating and just at the beginning there is a sound that let me think it’s reading some data, but just for few seconds, no more.

So I’m not sure that the rescue operations are gone well.

As written in an other post here, is there a Windows executable that automatically restores the original partitions on the disk?

Thanks again.

Sorry dude, I’m not aware of such tool and is not on WD’s website.

What if you contact WD and see if they have it or if something else can be done?

There is no way for users to reinstall the OS that ships on any of our WD Network Drives once you format the drive outside of the Drive’s interface. You will need to check your warranty to see if you can RMA the drive and get a replacement one in exchange.

Wow, this is not a good new…

Anyway, I’d like to expose my actual situation;  the disk I’ve rescued (or so I hope) after the fast format present the following partitions in the order I can see in XP’s disk mangaement:

• partition 1 - 24 Mb - not allocated

• partition 2 - 2,80 Gb - whole (unknown partition)

• partition 3 - 102 Mb - not allocated

• partition 4 - 965Mb - whole (unknown partition)

• partition 5 - 461,89Gb - whole (unknown partition)

What is wrong with it?

I remember this could be the same configuration before the format operation.

Here is info on the partition wizard mentioned.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/

MiniTool Partition Wizard is a Windows based  server partition manager software. Our  server partition software supports both MBR and GUID partition table (GPT) on 32/64 bits Operating System including Windows XP, Vista, Windows Server 2000/2003/2008, Windows SBS and Windows 7. Our  magic partition software supports all hard disks including IDE, SATA, SCSI, USB external disks, Fire wire disks and all level RAID configurations.

As a  Partition Manager Server, MiniTool Partition Wizard provides powerful and professional functions to manage partition including:

With Partition Wizard Server Edition, it’s easy to maintain server disk partitions such as resize and move server partitions for Windows Server 2000, 2003 & 2008. The most important feature of our  server partition software, user can  resize partitions for Windows Server 2000, 2003 and 2008 without data lost nor reinstall system.

MiniTool Partition Wizard is a  partition magic alternative. It allows home users, Professional users, and system administrators to easily perform partition operations safely and quickly. The Enhanced Data Protecting technology keeps your data safe even in cases of power outages or hardware failure. Best of all, MiniTool Partition Wizard is absolutely FREE OF CHARGE for home users. MiniTool Partition Wizard is optimized and divided into Home, Professional, Server, Enterprise and Technician Edition.