OSX Lion and MyBook World White Light

Still waiting…

As stated in this knowledge base article:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7081/session/L3RpbWUvMTMxNTg0MjU5My9zaWQvdHpsOUhWRGs%3D

Our current  estimated  release date for this update is for the  week  of September 12th, 2011.

I do not care to use Time Machine. Should I still be able to mount the drive?

I can see the drive on my network but I cannot sign on.

What if I plug directly into my machine via USB. Will that work?

Totaly agree!

Even if this issue is fixed I will still be looking to purchase an alternative NAS solution for my data, even if it does cost more. I cant underrstand how the customer - the one who funds WD - can be left in the dark for so long. Can it be that hard to keep the support web site updated?

Will I be looking at any future WD products with interest? Nope.

dansalz wrote:

I do not care to use Time Machine. Should I still be able to mount the drive?

I can see the drive on my network but I cannot sign on.

What if I plug directly into my machine via USB. Will that work?

That USB port is for adding a USB drive to the My Book World.  So, it won’t work.  These issues have been escalated.  

For the rest of you, have you made any changes to the drive through SSH?  Though I’m not sure that would cause any issues, I’m just asking.

Hamster wrote:

Totaly agree!

Even if this issue is fixed I will still be looking to purchase an alternative NAS solution for my data, even if it does cost more. I cant underrstand how the customer - the one who funds WD - can be left in the dark for so long. Can it be that hard to keep the support web site updated?

Will I be looking at any future WD products with interest? Nope.

What are you talking about? They have given more info on this than any other update i’ve ever seen (they even gave us an ETA something WD usually doesn’t do (and I don’t blame them based on the reactions some of you gave) …it might have taken a little while, but considering they were adding support for a new OS that isn’t listed on the box, we should be grateful for them adding it and keeping us up to date on it’s progress.  Thumbs up WD and bravo for a job well done :slight_smile: - Now I just need to pester Apple to fix Samba, and Cannon to fix my printer drivers, and I should be safe to finally upgrade my Mac to Lion :slight_smile:

Mine is working now. The latest fw update WD and a reboot for my MB Pro did the job. Thank you WD.

Hi, just installed the new firmware but there is no change…I still get the usual error regarding the afp. :-/

It is VERY important to log-in with the username and password which has been set in the drive for access to Time Machine, so logging in with your standard name will give you the ‘oserror 2’. You have to log in with the username WD_Backup, as seen in advanced setup/mode under ‘users’, you can set your password there.

Not sure if anyone else posted this, but I found this on the net and I am once again able to use my WD MyBookWorld.  I tried updating the firmware, but it was already current.  The fix is actually on the mac side, since apple decided to remove support for a particular communication method they deemed as insecure.  Since I am on a closed network, I could care less.  So here’s the mac side fix:

Find the Terminal application in the Applications → Utilities folder and run it.

type the following two lines, one at a time

sudo chmod o+w /Library/Preferences

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.AppleShareClient afp_host_prefs_version -int 1

Restart your computer

Connect to WD MyBookWorld via GO → Connect To Server… → BROWSE → Connect As → Type name and pass

Run the terminal program again (it may still be open if you restarted and left it open) and type the following two lines:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array “Cleartxt Passwrd” “MS2.0” “2-Way Randnum exchange”

sudo chmod o-w /Library/Preferences

Restart your computer

and then when you do, you should be able to access your shares again.  Most likely time machine will be happy too.

p.s.  One of the lines is wrapping above, there is a space on the line wrap, here’s the 2nd half of that line:

“Cleartxt Passwrd” “MS2.0” “2-Way Randnum exchange”

pps.  If WD ever does change the firmware to address this issue, to undo what we just did type this in the terminal window:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array-add “DHCAST128”