OS3 My Cloud WD Remote Access No Longer Available After April 15, 2022

If you do not use or need remote access, the existing OS3 My Cloud will continue to operate as it does now when WD shuts down OS3 support next April. WD has stated local network access won’t be affected. One has the option of setting up their own methods of remote access (FTP, VPN, etc.) to regain some of the remote access functionality to one’s OS3 My Cloud that WD is terminating with the OS3 shutdown.

If you have decided to buy a new network attached storage device, why limit yourself to WD? There are a number of other manufacturers out there (Synology, Qnap, etc.) in addition to WD. You should compare the various NAS device options from various manufacturers and make an informed decision on which one best fits your needs and that you can afford.

If you want to buy a WD product then look at those WD devices that currently support OS5 and buy one of them. (My Cloud OS 5: Firmware Availability and Supported Devices)

A reminder, this is what WD says:
My Cloud OS3 End of Service

Q: Will my device stop working if I can’t upgrade to My Cloud OS 5? Will I lose access to my data?
A: Once the services have been shut down, you will still be able to access the device on a local network. However, access through the My Cloud OS 3 mobile app or web app will not be possible. Email notifications also won’t be delivered. Devices that have auto-update enabled will receive a final firmware update to disable remote access and outbound traffic to cloud services. Then, support will end and you’ll have to use the local network to access the device.

The same way you copied files to the My Cloud in the first place. You can drag and drop files using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder from one NAS to another. Or with certain NAS devices you can initiate a copy or rsync from the SSH command line to copy files from one NAS to another. Or if a NAS supports it one can use it’s included features or options to copy or backup files to another NAS or location. In the case of a single bay My Cloud, one could even remove the My Cloud hard drive from it’s enclosure and attach it to a USB to SATA adapter, then connect that adapter to their computer (if running Linux or using a third party Linux driver) and copy the files from the hard drive to the NAS device that way.