Os 5 firmware downgrade os 3

please please please help i need to downgrade my os5 firmware to os3 the new firmware is to me anyway useless i cannt connect my sonos to it anymore nor can i connect my smart tv to it anymore so except for using a pc or tablet i have no way of viewing my films or pictures nor listening to my music i spent monthe ripping my cd’s to mp3 and have no way to play these cd’s besides that they have ever been sold given away or put in the loft

WHY WOULD WD STOP DNLA OPERATIONS (Digital Living Network Alliance) ITS OBVIOUS WD western DIGITAL DONT WANT US DIGITALY LIVING
oh and i dont want to install apps here and there i just want a simple working system

2 Likes

@skragamuffin, the DLNA media server function from the OS3 that was powered by Twonky Media is now an app by itself in the OS 5. You can install that app from the App Store to stream to your smart TV. You can refer to this article:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29630/kw/os%205

And if you’ve already installed it but having detection issue, this other article may help:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29985/kw/os%205

thats all very well but i purchased this NAS and it worked perfectly now with twonky or plex installed it dosent work anywhere near as well it is near useless as far as im concerned WHY OH WHY on earth would you remove DNLA its the one main reason people buy these items please put the facility back on the NAS
OR LET US DOWNGRADE TO OS3 PLEASE PLEASE LET US DOWNGRADE
i have at the moment purchased an external 6TB hdd to save my data too and then do a full factory reset on the NAS im hoping sorry praying to GOD it resets the firmware too
if this dosent work i will be purchasing a new unit from another manufacturer and seeking a full reimbursement for the existing unit that is only a few months old as its NOW NOT FIT FOR THE PURPOSE(S) IT WAS PURCHARED FOR

YOUR FIRMWARE UPGRADE IS FOR ME AND MOST PROBABLY MILLIONS OF OTHERS IS MOST CERTANLY A DOWNGRADE

4 Likes

Follow the middle part. Don’t worry about the “no sudo” error message. Just continue following the instructions. I did a hard reset too, after the reboot.

4 Likes

cheers i have ordered an external drive do you think its best to save all my data first when it arrives silly question probably

Thanxs Tikiman,

It does the trick. From the save mode you can upload the OS3 firmware. You do have to wait a little time (about 15 mins )

1 Like

Hi,

Will this work on the EX4100 ?

Thank you in advance,
Itai.

O.k. Thank you :+1:

Hello, didn’t work for me or i’m doing something wrong, after writing the command and reebooting, logging again, it didn’t directed to “WD Recovery” any help would be apreciated.

imagem

It’s “sudo”, not “sudu” but I have not idea if that is the actual issue. I was just here trying to find a resolution to another problem and noticed your typo.

fisch thank you for the heads up, tried the “sudo su” command but with no luck :frowning: , still trying to find a solution to downgrade to OS3, thanks for the help :+1:
imagem

The “dd” command works fine, my EX2 Ultra boots into safe mode afterwards. Unfortunately the device doesn´t accept any My_Cloud_BVBZ_2.xx.xxx.bin firmware file: “Upload firmware fail. Please try again”. Also tried via v5 Web interface / after reset to factory settings / within a closed network without any internet access. I bought the EX2 Ultra in Aug. 2021. May it probably have a hardware version that is not capable of running the old v2 firmware?