Optical output

Latest problem, th optical output jack on the back is broken, the plastic flap that lifts up when you put a cord in is broken, The plug still works but there’s nothing holding it in, just touch it and it falls out. 
What’s involved in changing it and is it worth it?
Guess I could route the audio through the HDMI…?  (My receiver doesn’t have HDMI in’s)

Fisherguy wrote:

The plug still works but there’s nothing holding it in, just touch it and it falls out. 

cheapest diy solution …

If that’s not suitable, would be for me, you could try one of these HERE.

flhthemi wrote:

If that’s not suitable, would be for me, you could try one of these HERE.

if  Fisherguy’s TV doesent have a HDMI (ARC)  “Audio Return Channel” then it’s US $18.99 down the gurgler

his receiver doesn’t have HDMI in’s … only Optical (Toslink)          [like mine] 

so … the diagram of the device you suggested relies on the TV supporting an HDMI ARC Channel

also note: consult the TV user manual … to see if the HDMI ARC will Pass-Through 5.1 (you never know with some manufacturers)

Personally, my “low tech cheap” option … doesent have any of these drama’s

arc.jpg

Never seen the temp glue stick, will give it a try.

My tv has HDMI’s, it’s just my Denon receiver that is “old school”.

Was under the impression that box would take his HDMI and port the 5.1 over to optical and on to his Denon. If that’s not what this box does then I made a mistake suggesting it. But there are adaptive methods to do just that which was what I intended to express. It does have a switch to turn off ARC.

Fisherguy wrote:
Never seen the temp glue stick, will give it a try.

blutack isn’t a glue or a stick … it’s adhesive reusable putty

(Blu-tack is a reusable putty-like pressure-sensitive adhesive produced by Bostik, commonly used to attach lightweight objects (such as posters or sheets of paper) to walls or other dry surfaces.)

could’nt find any for the photo below … but did find “Ezy Tack” which is the same thing

just saying … this is a $2 low-tech solution to solving a cable that “falls out with the slightest touch” as opposed to a $20 solution that may or may not work ?

Your choice i guess :neutral_face:

flhthemi wrote:

Was under the impression that box would take his HDMI and port the 5.1 over to optical and on to his Denon. If that’s not what this box does then I made a mistake suggesting it. But there are adaptive methods to do just that which was what I intended to express. It does have a switch to turn off ARC.

HDMI and port the 5.1 over to optical and on to his Denon

That’s correct … if the HDMI port on the TV has an ARC channel

It does have a switch to turn off ARC

Which will give 2 Channel sound to the TV via HDMI   ?

So if I’m getting this, the WD only puts out stereo over the HDMI?

BTW,  anyone know why WD stopped making the live hub? Just not enough demand for a player with it’s own HD? Streaming over your netowork is more popular nowadays?

Fisherguy wrote:

So if I’m getting this, the WD only puts out stereo over the HDMI?

BTW,  anyone know why WD stopped making the live hub? Just not enough demand for a player with it’s own HD? Streaming over your netowork is more popular nowadays?

If the WD is connected to a TV via HDMI … then you set the WD Audio setting to “Stereo”

If you connect the WD via HDMI to a TV and Optical to a audio reciever then you select “Optical Pass Through”

If you connect the WD to a AV Reciever via HDMI then in the WD Audio setting you select “HDMI Pass Through”

Why did they stop making it ?  … every electronic device has a finite shelf life, they can’t keep manufacturing it forever.

1 Like